Why does Auburn not just give Cadillac the job?

Choctaw Dawg

May 21, 2017
Cohen has been burned hiring "players coaches" before. He might be the safety net hire but Cohen does not want to attach his job to him.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Wouldn't be a bad move, but the $$ folks want a "Big Name" hire.

To consider Cadillac, you have to know who his coordinators would be.

Also, the comparison to Orgeron is not a great comparison. Orgeron had failed as a head coach at Ole miss, and then had I think 8 games as interim at USC where they showed immediate improvement. And even then, he flamed out pretty quickly at LSU after catching lightning in a bottle with his coordinators. And it's not like Cadillac has been operating as the assistant head coach or anything that I can tell where he's been responsible for a lot of the non-x's and o's parts of running a program.

That said, he seems likeable and it'd also be refreshing to see a head coach that actually views the university as something more than an employer.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Cohen has been burned hiring "players coaches" before. He might be the safety net hire but Cohen does not want to attach his job to him.
If he hires who the boosters want, he'll get a second chance. If he goes rogue like the guy before him, he'll only get one chance.

It currently seems as if many alumni and former players are rallying behind Cadillac. I would imagine the boosters will eventually do the same. It 'could' work, like the article says. It worked long-term at Clemson and short-term at LSU. It's worked for Auburn in the past as well, this is the type of hire Chizik was. That was short-term like LSU.

Long term, I don't know what Auburn needs. Seems they had their man in Malzahn and they wouldn't get out of his way and let him recruit his own players.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I think for the same reason Ole Miss will not play Jackson State. Obviously, my opinion.

Snl Thats Racist GIF by Saturday Night Live

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Caddy seems like a good guy who truly loves Auburn. He should be invaluable to the program for years to come in some capacity but like myself and many of you he'd be in over his head at a job (or any job) that size that calls for such a wide range of skills and experience and in the end it would be bad for himself and the school. I don't think there's anything "racist" about it.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
Wouldn't be a bad move, but the $$ folks want a "Big Name" hire.

If I was JC, I wouldn't hire the guy. No head coaching experience so you have no idea of his capabilities. From what I can tell he's a cheerleader. Players love him but can he run an organization and does he know how to coach? Can he scheme? There's a lot more to it than just running up and down the sidelines like your hair is on fire and saying "we're gonna fight". The pomp and circumstance will only take you so far.

On the other hand, I hope like hell JC hires him. I think this would keep Auburn in the bottom part of the west for two or three mores years at least.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
The emotional response that Cadillac has received over the past few weeks isn’t sustainable. Players can’t play like their hair is on fire week after week, there’s no foundation to support it when adversity hits. But I don’t know that it still wouldn’t be the best thing to hire Cadillac to keep the seat warm for a year or two. Auburn is bleeding money on former coaches. Everyone says they can afford it and maybe they can, until they can’t. Kiffin made a fool of Auburn and their backup plan was a sexual pervert. There is no hire they can make now that will accomplish what they set out to do when they fired Harsin . They’ve screwed this up royally. Hire Cadillac, pay off their past mistakes, do their homework, and plan for two years down the road. I know that’s not how college football works and especially not living under Sabans shadow but at this point there is no winning scenario for Auburn for this year.

Reactions: patdog

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004
The emotional response that Cadillac has received over the past few weeks isn’t sustainable. Players can’t play like their hair is on fire week after week, there’s no foundation to support it when adversity hits. But I don’t know that it still wouldn’t be the best thing to hire Cadillac to keep the seat warm for a year or two. Auburn is bleeding money on former coaches. Everyone says they can afford it and maybe they can, until they can’t. Kiffin made a fool of Auburn and their backup plan was a sexual pervert. There is no hire they can make now that will accomplish what they set out to do when they fired Harsin . They’ve screwed this up royally. Hire Cadillac, pay off their past mistakes, do their homework, and plan for two years down the road. I know that’s not how college football works and especially not living under Sabans shadow but at this point there is no winning scenario for Auburn for this year.
In other words, the Matt Luke plan

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead
Jan 9, 2016
Caddy seems like a good guy who truly loves Auburn. He should be invaluable to the program for years to come in some capacity but like myself and many of you he'd be in over his head at a job (or any job) that size that calls for such a wide range of skills and experience and in the end it would be bad for himself and the school. I don't think there's anything "racist" about it.
This ^^^.

Cadillac needs a few yrs under his belt as an OC at a P5 school and then a few yrs as a successful HC at a G5 school before taking on the Auburn HC job.

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
If I'm Cohen then Cadillac is my last choice desperation hire.

If I'm the new head coach I do everything I can to keep him around.