Will Fans/Alumni Return?

big_pete

Nov 19, 2017
I think it's safe to say that a whole lot people quit going to games these last few years. So what I'm wondering is if we're going to see a spike in attendance now that Helton is gone? Will the fans and alumni who walked away start showing up again? It would be awesome to see the Coliseum full again!

ForwardUntoDawn

Dec 18, 2019
Hopefully.

I watched or attended every SC game for the past 8 years. Then the past two seasons I have not gone to any and I have only watched about four. Because it was just painful to see how this team played down to competition. And got their *** handed to them anytime they played a team with a pulse.

ErikMcKinney

WeAreSC Staff
Staff member
Apr 17, 2018
I think it's safe to say that a whole lot people quit going to games these last few years. So what I'm wondering is if we're going to see a spike in attendance now that Helton is gone? Will the fans and alumni who walked away start showing up again? It would be awesome to see the Coliseum full again!
This is a very real question. It would make a significant statement if there was a huge turnout for the Oregon State game next week. It doesn't sound as though that will be the case at this point, but the idea of "I won't buy tickets until he's gone" will start to be tested. But how can you possibly blame USC fans who say they still want to wait until they know the true direction of the program? There's a lot of hurt and anger to overcome for many, many USC fans and that switch might not be flipped with just this one decision (no matter how big it is).

MarcKulkin

WeAreSC Staff
Staff member
Aug 26, 2021
This is a very real question. It would make a significant statement if there was a huge turnout for the Oregon State game next week. It doesn't sound as though that will be the case at this point, but the idea of "I won't buy tickets until he's gone" will start to be tested. But how can you possibly blame USC fans who say they still want to wait until they know the true direction of the program? There's a lot of hurt and anger to overcome for many, many USC fans and that switch might not be flipped with just this one decision (no matter how big it is).

60K+ if they team comes home from the Palouse with a solid win.

Reactions: big_pete

Petey Rob

Aug 24, 2017
It's my hope that even if it's just for the OSU game, that Trojans who can make it to the game will do so, to show the players that it was never about them.

If I could be at that game, I would be there without hesitation. Tickets are cheap AF right now, so that excuse should not apply for many.

Many in this fanbase are all about flying banners and talking **** online when there is a coach that they don't like in place. Well, we all got what we wanted and he's gone. Will they now move the goalposts and say they're waiting for the next hire to see if they approve first?

I want to see this fanbase make a positive statement, show solidarity for the team and show everyone else that we're still here and we're still ready to return to the top with them.

Fill up the Coliseum for the players at least once and worry about the next hire after that.

Realitycheck.usc

Oct 7, 2017
If at the least Sc conducts an exhaustive search, proves to the fans that they gave it their best effort, then a good number of fans will return. But if their best effort falls short then the fans will call for the replacement of the AD. Sc fans are not interested in a coach who is the best of a bad lot whose only quality is that he came cheap .

MC4SC

Aug 24, 2017
Well, after going to every home game from 1996 to 2018, I took a stance and let the USC admin know that I, along with many other fans, would no longer financially support the school until Helton was gone. I felt that the only way that change was going to happen was by forcing the school to feel the pain of fans not showing up, both financially and from embarrassment. We finally hit rock bottom (it didn’t have to be this way) and FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY, Helton was fired. I contacted the USC ticket office today and purchased C&G membership and 4 season tickets. It may be that I’m still delirious from a change finally being made, but, I just have a feeling that we’re starting back on the right path to restoring our proper place in college football, and, I want to be there each step of the way. If, however, they do not follow through with the hiring of an experienced, quality head coach, I will be doubly passed off and renew my level of resentment against what our admin have done to the program and to us fans over the last ten years. I sure hope I’m right. Fight On!

big_pete

Nov 19, 2017
Well, after going to every home game from 1996 to 2018, I took a stance and let the USC admin know that I, along with many other fans, would no longer financially support the school until Helton was gone. I felt that the only way that change was going to happen was by forcing the school to feel the pain of fans not showing up, both financially and from embarrassment. We finally hit rock bottom (it didn’t have to be this way) and FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY, Helton was fired. I contacted the USC ticket office today and purchased C&G membership and 4 season tickets. It may be that I’m still delirious from a change finally being made, but, I just have a feeling that we’re starting back on the right path to restoring our proper place in college football, and, I want to be there each step of the way. If, however, they do not follow through with the hiring of an experienced, quality head coach, I will be doubly passed off and renew my level of resentment against what our admin have done to the program and to us fans over the last ten years. I sure hope I’m right. Fight On!

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing

Jay4usc

Jan 10, 2018
I live in Spokane and I won't go to the WSU game. It's just not worth it until the entire staff has been replaced and they get players that will do anything to win. I just don't feel Clay recruited athletes with mental or physical toughness, so I'll wait to see who the administration decides to hire before I spend a penny to see them play.
That’s why his teams always have the most injuries every season.

scsuperfan

Aug 24, 2017
I could see a slight bump for OSU, but in the end, LA is a town that roots for front-runners. You need to be good to draw in the folks. Make the right hire, win, and it will be packed. Make a hire reminiscent of our last three, produce those results, and we'll be moving closer to looking like the crowds at the Rose Bowl.

xuscx

Aug 24, 2017
I will guess a slight increase but never the crowds of the PC days. Lots of blame to go around but flat screen HD TV is a big part of it.

CSC96

Apr 29, 2020
Single game ticket sales should improve. I was actually thinking about ordering a shirt.

HRPickenstuff

Aug 24, 2017
Honestly the in home experience for me has proven superior. DVRs, big screens, I am home brewer so there is that. I can more around at my leisure. Etc.

So what does USC do to compete. Charge for tailgating, charge outrageous amounts for concessions. Stifle the on campus experience, compelled to follow LAs Draconian COVID rules. Etc

No thanks, I'll save the 300 bucks plus a game.
You’re not kidding anyone remember the home openers 2017 and 2018 USC vs Western Michigan and UNLV? Damm mid day starts 100 degrees and humid. I didn’t make it past the half. I darn near passed out. I’m getting to old for that. I left before half drove to Lowrys for ribs and chugged some beers in the AC and watched the end of the game. We always walkin with the same presentation jersey’ed up sweaty, funky and sunburned looking all dehydrated like a man who walked across the Desert looking for a watering hole.

Last edited:

HRPickenstuff

Aug 24, 2017
It’s a Domino effect. You know the Clay Helton factor didn’t just put the kabash on home attendance. He screwed the local merchants around the area too. I’m form OC we almost always hit a restaurant or bar before or after depending on the start and run up a big tab. Not really a tailgater. We try to hit the book store if possible, the kids love the Museums gotta hit those too. I can’t tell you how many IMAX movies we’ve seen there. We even buy water from the dudes with the portable ice chests around the campus near Figueroa these people are just trying to make a buck. The fruit cart lady, elote corn lady all that. They all get paid. It’s a luxury day for us and we get the opportunity to explore LA while we’re out there. I haven’t paid for a game since 2018. So I haven’t been to LA to spend my money there either.

Last edited:

big_pete

Nov 19, 2017
It’s a Domino effect. You know the Clay Helton factor didn’t just put the kabash on home attendance. He screwed the local merchants around the area too. I’m form OC we almost always hit a restaurant or bar before or after depending on the start and run up a big tab. Not really a tailgater. We try to hit the book store if possible, the kids love the Museums gotta hit those too. I can’t tell you how many IMAX movies we’ve seen there. We even buy water from the dudes with the portable ice chests around the campus near Figueroa these people are just trying to make a buck. The fruit cart lady, elote corn lady all that. They all get paid. It’s a luxury day for us and we get the opportunity to explore LA while we’re out there. I haven’t paid for a game since 2018. So I haven’t been to LA to spend my money there either.

I love your picture. I tried to make my own clown clay pictures, but they never came out as well

• Haha
Reactions: KeenObserver

Latest posts