Will Helton go to Nick Saban rebab!?

TrojanTW

Apr 5, 2018
Yes.... he's already on his way

SoUtahTrojan

Sep 13, 2018
I say yes. Just like Kiffin you can pick him up on the cheap as he will still have his pay coming in from SC for the next 2 years. Also he is a good assistant coach. You just cant trust him to make decisions.

Arthur Jury

Oct 31, 2018
Kiff and Sark did but they have the same agent as satan. Er saban. Placed as favor for future business placement. Don’t know if clay has the same agent

GLYCERINE

Aug 24, 2017
I say yes. Just like Kiffin you can pick him up on the cheap as he will still have his pay coming in from SC for the next 2 years. Also he is a good assistant coach. You just cant trust him to make decisions.
When was he a good assistant?

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
All these other Nick Reclamation projects had actually accomplished something in their career. So, no.

JayBird23

Nov 17, 2018
His dream job is KFC but if it falls through Satan’s monopoly is a likely option.

Socrates

Aug 29, 2021
Reminds me of Gerry Faust.
Got in over his head and struggled.
How is Akron looking?

AnArchitect

Sep 3, 2017
Who says Saban would hire him?

He's going to Hilltopper Rehab more like it.

HRPickenstuff

Aug 24, 2017
This might surprise you hearing me say this knowing how relentless I was over the last 4 years shooting on Clay Helton.

Clay Helton could be a solid small school HC. On the condition he makes drastic changes.

1. He needs to stop the self promoting. I’m the son of an OL coach, I’ve been coaching for years nobody gives their resume as often as you do at a post LOSS press conferences. You look foolish when you brag about experience after taking a loss.
2. He needs to stop the Boy Scout routine. It’s disingenuous. He comes off looking like a BS’er. With the soft whisper like cadence. The proud parent routine gets old. He needs to kick some butts and call people out. Like Saban (google him yelling at Lane Kiffin mid game)
3. He needs to take full responsibility of everything that happens on his watch. He could never figure out people respect a man that admits when he’s wrong. He tends to go into self preservation mode and uses cute language to spread the blame. Fans like me despite that. You’re the coach. If a player is underperforming that’s on you. You didn’t prepare him and you didn’t replace him so whatever happens is 100% on you. Say that and move on.
4. He just needs to pay his dues. He was spoiled because his roster was always stacked with elite athletes he never had to win games with his coaching. He needs to go to a small school with talent equal or less and takes some lumps and learn how to coach your way out of a loss.
5. He needs to be tougher. Nobody gives a damm if you’re a nice guy. You are getting paid to do the job. They will like you if you win. Results matter. You will have to make tough calls, fire assistants, bench and cut players for the well-being of the program. If you can’t do that then choose another profession.

Nick Saban would be the best thing for him. He would learn that sometimes you have to be a Hardass and go nuclear on people. Nick Saban will even open up on reporters who ask dumb questions. Nick Saban understands it’s his @$$ on the line and he’s not about to go down inflames because someone else can’t get it together. Helton use to defend screw ups and make excuses for them. Maybe after 1 season with Saban and 1 year at Marine Bootcamp Clay Helton will be born again hard and ready for his next gig coaching at Sacramento State. Oorah!!!!

Last edited:

CSC96

Apr 29, 2020
This might surprise you hearing me say this knowing how relentless I was over the last 4 years shooting on Clay Helton.

Clay Helton could be a solid small school HC. On the condition he makes drastic changes.

1. He needs to stop the self promoting. I’m the son of an OL coach, I’ve been coaching for years nobody gives their resume as often as you do at a post LOSS press conferences. You look foolish when you brag about experience after taking a loss.
2. He needs to stop the Boy Scout routine. It’s disingenuous. He comes off looking like a BS’er. With the soft whisper like cadence. The proud parent routine gets old. He needs to kick some butts and call people out. Like Saban (google him yelling at Lane Kiffin mid game)
3. He needs to take full responsibility of everything that happens on his watch. He could never figure out people respect a man that admits when he’s wrong. He tends to go into self preservation mode and uses cute language to spread the blame. Fans like me despite that. You’re the coach. If a player is underperforming that’s on you. You didn’t prepare him and you didn’t replace him so whatever happens is 100% on you. Say that and move on.
4. He just needs to pay his dues. He was spoiled because his roster was always stacked with elite athletes he never had to win games with his coaching. He needs to go to a small school with talent equal or less and takes some lumps and learn how to coach your way out of a loss.
5. He needs to be tougher. Nobody gives a damm if you’re a nice guy. You are getting paid to do the job. They will like you if you win. Results matter. You will have to make tough calls, fire assistants, bench and cut players for the well-being of the program. If you can’t do that then choose another profession.

Nick Saban would be the best thing for him. He would learn that sometimes you have to be a Hardass and go nuclear on people. Nick Saban will even open up on reporters who ask dumb questions. Nick Saban understands it’s his @$$ on the line and he’s not about to go down inflames because someone else can’t get it together. Helton use to defend screw ups and make excuses for them. Maybe after 1 season with Saban and 1 year at Marine Bootcamp Clay Helton will be born again hard and ready for his next gig coaching at Sacramento State. Oorah!!!!
Everything is relative. Recruits obviously less talented at smaller schools than USC, but Clay will continue to under-coach and players will be less-developed than the competition. Saban will probably take Clay on next season as an analyst. He took on Mike Stoops.

Reactions: Cardinal&Gold

Latest posts