Arch Manning, the nation’s No. 1 overall prospect in the 2023 class according to On3, takes the field Thursday night. The 6-foot-4, 220-pound Manning is leading New Orleans Isidore Newman against LaPlace (La.) St. Charles Catholic in a battle of undefeated teams.
Texas Longhorn fans are also discussing the game on Inside Texas’ Members Only message board.
- On the game’s opening drive Arch Manning connected on a slant to get a first down. However, Manning’s his third pass of the game was intercepted. The turnover led to St. Charles Catholic field goal and an early 3-0 lead.
- St. Charles Catholic ended the first quarter leading 6-0
- Gerry Hamilton: “Sark and (Texas QB coach A.J.) Milwee hanging in the end zone near the Isidore Newman sideline.”
- After struggling to find a rhythm passing the ball in the first half, Arch Manning scrambled 17 yards to move the ball past midfield early in the third quarter.
- Facing fourth and six, Manning connects for a seven yard gain along the right sideline to keep the drive going.
- Manning gets Newman on the board on an 18 yard post for a touchdown. Newman took a 7-6 lead midway through the third quarter after the PAT.
- Arch Manning engineered a time-consuming drive that ended with a missed field goal as Newman tried to extend its lead.
- St. Charles Catholic was able to regain the lead on a 24 yard touchdown run. The two-point try failed to keep it 12-7 St. Charles Catholic with 0:47 left in the game.
- On the final drive of the game, Manning connected on a 17 yard completion on the left sideline.
Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian visiting Arch Manning
Texas’ first-year head coach Steve Sarkisian was spotted at Newman’s game Thursday night to watch Manning.
The two have developed a great relationship, Manning told InsideTexas. It started during Sarkisian’s tenure as the offensive coordinator at Alabama and has only grown since then.
“(Sark) is a laid back guy, which I really like,” Manning said. “He’s not always pitching me. He just checks in and that’s one thing I like about him. When it is football, he’s a genius.”
What makes Arch Manning No. 1?
On3 Director of Scouting Charles Power explained what makes Arch Manning the top prospect in the 2023 class:
Simply put, Arch Manning has one of the quickest and purest releases I’ve seen from a high school quarterback. His throwing motion is concise with no moving parts. The ball consistently comes out quick. In-person, it’s almost easy to not notice the release unless you’re watching it explicitly.
A quarterback’s ultimate success is decided by how they play from within a pocket. On that front, Manning is already stepping up and firing as the walls are closing in. There are a number of plays from the 2020 season where he doesn’t bail out, stands tall and throws a strike.