The Battle 7v7 circuit kicked off for the 2023 season and it started in south Florida. Over 40 teams participated in the event. Recruits from California, Texas, Louisiana, Utah, Virginia, Nevada, Tennessee, Kentucky, Michigan, Miami, Illinois, Georgia, Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi, and the host state of Florida.
On3 was in attendance and here is the recruiting scoop coming out of the event.
5-star CB Ellis Robinson IV
The buzz: Ellis Robinson was back at Georgia last weekend for the national championship celebration. He has visited Athens around half a dozen times and there is some buzz around the Bulldogs. Georgia and Alabama have been battling for that top spot for months, and each school has been considered the favorite at different times. I like where Kirby Smart’s program is now. You cannot rule out Colorado, LSU or Miami, but Alabama is Georgia’s biggest competition. Robinson said again over the weekend, “I will commit when I feel the time is right.”
5-star WR Jeremiah Smith
The buzz: From the time Jeremiah Smith committed to Ohio State, he said he would take visits. Schools are not going to give up on a five-star playmaker like Smith. Florida, Georgia, Miami and Tennessee are schools Smith’s named as the ones recruiting him hardest outside of Ohio State. It will still take a lot to flip Smith from the Buckeyes. His relationship with Brian Hartline is strong. The biggest threat looks to be Miami. It is a local school, a school Smith plans to take an official visit to and the Hurricanes have numerous staff members reaching out daily to the star out of Hollywood (Fla.) Chaminade-Madonna.
5-star S KJ Bolden
The buzz: KJ Bolden had the Ohio State media in attendance excited Saturday when he showed up in Buckeye sleeves and gloves. The Big Ten program is squarely in the mix for one of the top prospects in the 2024 class. Alabama and Georgia are up there too. The buzz has been around Georgia, the in-state program for Bolden, but he still has some big visits to take. He will be at Clemson next weekend and the Tigers will have a shot to make a move. Bolden will take his official visits in the spring and summer before making a decision before his senior season.
5-star ATH Jaylen Mbakwe
The buzz: Jaylen Mbakwe is starting to visit other schools, but there does not look to be any reason for Alabama to panic. He is an elite talent not far from Tuscaloosa, he attended almost every home game in the fall and he has real connections with coaches on the Alabama staff. Mbakwe will be at LSU next weekend. Miami is expected to receive an official visit. Colorado is another school he could visit. The No. 1 prospect in Alabama is still strong to the Crimson Tide.
5-star WR Joshisa Trader
The buzz: Joshisa Trader recently revealed his top five schools. Nothing has changed. The buzz this weekend was around the local program, Miami. There was a lot of talk this time a year ago about Trader and his teammate, Jeremiah Smith, playing together on the next level. That could still happen, but it is far from a done deal. Ohio State is on Trader’s list, but the Hurricanes have a little momentum. He is close with almost the entire staff and that means something to him. Trader has visited Miami more than any other school and he will have his eye on the Hurricanes this fall. He does not plan to make a decision until late in the year.
4-star CB Charles Lester
The buzz: Clemson will get Charles Lester on campus next weekend and it will be his first time on the ACC program’s campus. The Tigers were not in his top five, so this will be their chance to make a significant move for the defender out of Sarasota (Fla.) Riverview. Last weekend, Lester visited Florida and Florida State. The Seminoles have some momentum based on the intel I have picked up. He has visited Tallahassee double-digit times and Florida State was his dream school. It does not look like a decision is coming too soon, but Florida State has moved into a good position. Alabama, Georgia and Ohio State are still in the mix.
4-star ATH Quinton Martin
The buzz: Miami offered Quinton Martin on Sunday. He mentioned Florida as a school that is recruiting him hard as well. But this race is likely to come down to more of a regional battle. Martin is a national talent in Pennsylvania and Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State are in the thick of this race. One source over the weekend said Penn State could be a “slight favorite”, but multiple schools are still being considered. He is working to cut his list to five schools in the coming months, then make a decision. Relationships with be a heavy factor in Martin’s commitment.
4-star WR Aeryn Hampton
The buzz: Alabama is the leader for Aeryn Hampton. He was in Alabama gloves Saturday and the Crimson Tide are trending. Hampton is out of Daingerfield (Texas) and he was at one time a Texas commitment. Alabama has plenty of competition. He will visit Oregon next weekend for the first time. LSU and Nebraska are two more out-of-state schools in the mix. Texas is not going away either. Alabama is the school others are chasing, but this one could have a few more twists and turns before it is all said and done.
4-star QB Julian Sayin
The buzz: Ohio State offered Julian Sayin, so he was asked about that close to a million times this weekend. He seems set with Alabama right now. Miami is another school to keep an eye on. Saying feels good about the Crimson Tide at this time.
2025 4-star QB Bryce Underwood
The buzz: It is still very early for Bryce Underwood, an elite quarterback in the 2025 class out of Belleville (Mich.), but he is a name you will track in the coming months. He will be a national name and the in-state schools are off to a good start. Underwood has gotten very familiar with Michigan and Michigan State already and he is a top priority for both. He will be at Penn State next weekend. LSU will have him on campus early in March. Ohio State is a school mentioned with Underwood’s name early as well. This one is in the infant stages.
More recruiting notes from Miami Battle 7v7
- Kensley Faustin will visit Texas A&M next weekend. He is eyeing trips to Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Penn State and Pittsburgh in the spring. Faustin does not plan to commit until his senior year.
- South Carolina is still in a good position for Mazeo Bennett. Alabama is in the mix too. He visited Miami over the weekend and Florida State will host him next weekend.
- LSU and TCU will have Ka’Davion Dotson on campus next weekend. Visits to Alabama, Florida State, and Georgia are already being discussed for the spring.
- Alabama commit Perry Thompson said he is “60%” committed right now. He was at Auburn last weekend. Miami had him on campus Sunday and he will be at Tennessee next weekend.
- Selman Bridges will visit two in-state schools, Texas and Texas A&M next weekend. TCU is heavily in the mix as well. There is early buzz around the Longhorns.
- Florida legacy Ben Hanks, Jr. is high on Miami early. He wants to get back to the Swamp in the spring. Alabama is another school he wants to visit soon.
- Jacob Oden will be back at Penn State next weekend. He is in search of the best connection and then commit to a school in the summer. Michigan and Penn State may be tough to beat.
- Boo Carter will visit Colorado for the first time next weekend. He is very intrigued by coach Prime and what he will see in Boulder. Miami is another school not inside his top five that has moved up his list.
- Xavier Jordan visited Oregon last weekend and the Ducks offered. The Pac 12 school is now leading.
- Zaquan Patterson wants to visit Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Ohio State and Texas A&M as soon as he can. He may be back in Athens next weekend.
- Michigan State commit Nick Marsh will take visits. Clemson, Ole Miss and Tennessee are schools he is communicating with.
- Ohio State commit Jontae Gilbert is one to watch. The 2025 cornerback will be at Georgia next weekend and there is some chatter around the Bulldogs.
- Cutter Boley visited Tennessee last weekend and he will be at Kentucky next week. Both SEC schools have the attention of the 2025 quarterback early. Liam Coen is the coach that offered him when he was at Kentucky, so Coen going back to Lexington is big for the Wildcats.
- Dozie Ezukanma visited Miami Saturday and picked up an offer from the Hurricanes. His brother plays for the Miami Dolphins, so there is a connection to south Florida. TCU is a school on his radar as well.
- LSU commit Joseph Stone will visit Alabama next weekend. Still sounds solid with the Tigers, but he is eyeing an official visit to Miami as well. Georgia, Oklahoma and Texas A&M are still involved.
- There is some early buzz around Alabama for Daniel Hill early. He will be in Columbia next weekend and the Gamecocks are high on his list as well. Auburn is another school outside of his home state of Mississippi on his radar.
- Oregon and TCU are early favorites for Bryant Wesco. He is expected to schedule official visits with both.
- Noreel White is planning to commit early in February. He is visiting Arkansas next weekend. LSU, Ole Miss and Mississippi State are still strong in this race.
- LSU commit Zion Ferguson will take some visits. He will be at Auburn next weekend. He wants to visit Arkansas and Oregon too.
- Damani Maxson is visiting Houston next weekend. Schools like Notre Dame, Oklahoma State and Tennessee have his attention too.
- Terrance Moore will head north next weekend to visit Pittsburgh and Penn State. Since offering last week, Clemson has moved up his list. Georgia is another new offer on his radar. He plans to take numerous visits in the spring.
- Nebraska just offered Landyn Cleveland and the Cornhuskers have his interest. He will visit Texas A&M next weekend. LSU and Tennessee are two more schools he communicates with often.
- Alabama offered Chance Robinson a few days ago and he now plans to be in Tuscaloosa for the spring game.
- 2025 wide receiver Dakorien Moore will visit Oregon for the first time next weekend. Alabama, Ohio State and USC are schools on his radar early.