Is there a better way to ring in the New Year than with a win over Louisville? I think not. Sources tell Jon Rothstein that Kentucky will host Louisville on Saturday, December 31 at Rupp Arena. Not only will this mark the first time the two teams have played since 2020, it’s the first head-to-head meeting between John Calipari and his former right-hand man Kenny Payne. Tip time is still to be determined.
This is the second year in a row Kentucky will play a game on New Year’s Eve. Last season, the Cats beat High Point in Tubby Smith’s homecoming on the final day of 2021. It’s worth noting that the College Football Playoff semifinals and the Sugar Bowl are also on New Year’s Eve, setting up a big day of sports and, if all goes well, a Kentucky basketball/football conflict.
Here is Kentucky’s non-conference schedule as we know it. A game vs. Bellarmine is also in the works.
- Nov. 15 (Tue.): Michigan State (Champions Classic) | Gainbridge Fieldhouse, Indianapolis, IN
- Dec. 4 (Sun.): Michigan (Basketball Hall of Fame London Showcase) | The O2 Arena, London, England
- Dec. 10 (Sat.): Notre Dame | TBA
- Dec. 17 (Sat.): UCLA (CBS Sports Classic) | Madison Square Garden, New York, NY
- Dec. 31 (Sat.): Louisville | Rupp Arena, Lexington, KY
Go Cats. Ls Down.