[caption id="attachment_205067" align="alignnone" width="600"]
Matt Marton - USA Today[/caption]
The Reds might not have much to play for, but that's not stopping them from stringing wins together. Cincinnati went 5-2 this week and won series against the Marlins and Dodgers. It would have been easy for the team to give up on 2016, but they've shown a lot of heart since the All-Star break. The #1 pick in next season's draft is probably out of reach thanks to all these wins. However, it's made the last month a lot more enjoyable to watch
1. Michael Lorenzen was clearly the best story of the week. The Reds reliever was placed on bereavement leave due to the death of his father, and Lorenzen made his return to the team on Friday night. He pitched 1.2 scoreless innings for Cincinnati. However, it was his rare trip to the plate that was the highlight of the night.
2. Robert Stephenson has been one of the Reds top pitching prospects since he was drafted in 2011. Unfortunately his manager at Triple-A Louisviile, Delino DeShields, raised concerns over his progress.
3. What we've all thought for a while now appears to be official. Billy Hamilton is the fastest man in baseball. Over at Red Reporter Wick Terrell broke down
the latest research from Andrew Simon
. Simon combed through MLB's Statcast data and uncovered the worst kept secret in the game. To give you some idea of Hamilton's speed he was clocked going from home to first in 3.61 seconds, and home to second in 7.3 seconds. That's fast.
4. Billy "the fastest man in baseball" Hamilton had his talents on display against Miami this week.
5. Earlier in the season it looked like the Reds could potentially set a new franchise record for losses. However, thanks to their play over the past few weeks, the record appears to be safe. C. Trent Rosecrans broke down
how many wins the Reds need over their final few months to avoid any unwanted records.
6. At some point during the Reds recent series against the Marlins a player (Ichiro) sent doughnuts to Joey Votto. What was Votto's logical response? He had 51 pizzas from a California Pizza Kitchen in Louisville delivered to Ichiro's locker. Zach Buchanan laid out the details
of the gift including the fact that the pizza cost $640 + $200 for an Uber driver to bring them from Louisville to Cincinnati.
7. Speaking of Zach Buchanan, the Reds beat writer opened up his mailbag
to answer questions about prospects, September callups, and Yorman Rodriguez.
8. Over the weekend the Reds called Jose Peraza back up to the big league roster. Peraza is getting some playing time due to an Achilles injury to Zack Cozart. Peraza made the most of his promotion going 3-5 with 2 R and 3 RBI on Saturday against the Dodgers. Kevin Goheen of MLB.com broke down
the young shortstop's big day.
9. Most summer nights you'll find me flipping between baseball games. However, tonight is not one of those nights. Why? Because tonight the eyes of America will be on WWE's SummerSlam
. There's only one thing that could pry my eyes away from Sunday night baseball, and it's the thought of Brock Lesnar taking someone to Suplex City. Here are my picks for tonight:
Carmella, Naomi, & Becky Lynch over Natalya, Alexa Bliss, & ?
Jericho & Owens over Enzo & Big Cass
Gallows and Anderson over The New Day
John Cena over A.J. Styles
The Miz over Apollo Crews
Roman Reigns over Rusev
Sasha Banks over Charlotte
Dean Ambrose over Dolph Ziggler
Seth Rollins over Finn Balor
The Reds play the Dodgers one more time tomorrow before the Rangers come to town for two. Over the weekend they'll play three games in Arizona.
You can follow the Reds all season long, and Eric's writing, at Red Reporter.