Good morning, Ohio State fans, and welcome to the Scarlet Sunrise. Football will always be our focus, but every day we’ll cover news, notes and analysis from across Buckeyes sports. Join us each morning to get caught up on everything you missed in the world of Ohio State football, recruiting, basketball and more in Scarlet Sunrise.
Buckeyes begin B1G title defense at Minnesota
Ohio State leads the all-time series against Minnesota 45-7, including wins in each of the last 11 matchups. The Gophers last beat the Buckeyes in 2000. The last time the Buckeyes played Minnesota was 2018, a sloppy 30-14 Ohio State win in the Horseshoe. In their last meeting in Minneapolis, the Buckeyes won 31-24 in 2014.
Ohio State hasn’t lost on the road at Minnesota since 1981. The Buckeyes are favored to continue that trend.
- Time: 8 p.m. ET
- Date: Thursday, Sept. 2, 2021
- Location: Huntington Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Weather: 68 degrees and cloudy with possible rain showers
- TV Channel: FOX
- The line: Ohio State is a 14-point favorite, per VegasInsider
- Over/under: 62.5 points
Gambling notes, trends
- Minnesota is 10-4 against the spread in its last 14 games as an underdog.
- The over is 5-0 in the last five Ohio State season-openers.
- Ohio State is 6-1 against the spread as an away favorite in Ryan Day’s tenure.
- Ohio State is 13-6 against the number versus conference opponents since Ryan Day took over in 2019.
- Minnesota is 17-16-1 against the spread in conference play since PJ Fleck took over the program.
Weekend Kickoff presented by Bryant Heating and Cooling Systems
Ohio State football is finally back!
So that means Lettermen Row Weekend Kickoff presented by Bryant Heating and Cooling Systems is back, as well.
The Buckeyes open their quest for another Big Ten title, College Football Playoff appearance and national title Thursday night at Minnesota. And the Lettermen Row crew was back at Urban Meyer’s Pint House for the full, comprehensive preview of the season-opening matchup.
This week’s show features former Buckeyes quarterback Cardale Jones, former Ohio State defensive back Tyvis Powell, former linebackers Bobby Carpenter and Zach Boren, former wide receiver Evan Spencer, former tight end Jeff Heuerman and senior writer Austin Ward.
This week’s episode is presented by Uptown Heating and Cooling.
Don’t miss the full episode of Weekend Kickoff at Urban Meyer’s Pint House.
Miss any Lettermen Row coverage so far this week?
- Five Questions as Buckeyes begin title chase with opener at Minnesota
- Thayer Munford ‘will be available’ for Buckeyes opener
- What Ohio State needs to prove in opener, expectations for C.J. Stroud
- Julian Fleming healthy, ready to make big impact for Ohio State
- How Ryan Day will mold elite talent into ‘balanced’ offensive identity
- Five Bold Predictions as Buckeyes ready to defend Big Ten crown
- Buckeyes receivers feel ‘absolutely elevated’ with C.J. Stroud at quarterback
Stick with Lettermen Row for wall-to-wall game-day coverage
Lettermen Row will be on site in Minneapolis for comprehensive coverage of the season-opening showdown, as the Buckeyes begin their quest to return to the College Football Playoff yet again. Follow along on Twitter, Instagram and YouTube for experienced Ohio State coverage.
Download Lettermen Row’s free app
Want an easier way to get free premium content from Lettermen Row?
The Lettermen Row app is here! Get all of the Ohio State news, analysis, videos and everything else you’ve come to expect from us in one free, convenient spot. It’s now available in both the App Store and Google Play. Check it out!
The Lettermen Row app can be found for free here:
Sign up for the Scarlet Sunrise newsletter
If you enjoy the Scarlet Sunrise posts, please consider having our newsletter delivered to your inbox every weekday morning.