When a team delivers a statement win like Oregon did on Saturday, it brings out the best in the reporters who are on hand to cover the game.
On3.com had a large contingent of writers at The Shoe, and many more writing remotely, who covered the showdown from all angles. There is a ton of great writing on the site that provides an in-depth look at how exactly Oregon emerged with a monumental victory.
Here is a rundown of stories that provide a 360-degree view of one of the greatest wins in Oregon’s history.
- On3 Senior Writer Ivan Maisel went in-depth on CJ Verdell’s performance. One anecdote from his story provides some great insight into just how significant Verdell’s 77-yard touchdown was in the moment.
“The dude that was chasing me, I don’t remember his number,” Verdell said. “I just heard his breath. That let me know how close he was behind me.”
In a stadium with 97,000 Buckeyes fans — Oregon sold its allotment of 3,000 seats — Verdell could hear a sprinting defender breathe. That’s one quiet Horseshoe.
- With Oregon’s win over Ohio State, Mario Cristobal made a statement, J-Hop wrote.
- ScoopDuck’s Joel Gunderson did a deep-dive on why Saturday was a program-defining win for the Ducks.
- With their win over the Buckeyes, Oregon answered pertinent questions, Gunderson wrote.
- ScoopDucks’s Jacob Archer wrote about the dominant showing from Oregon’s offensive line, which looked much-improved in Week 2.
- I went in-depth on Anthony Brown, who proved once and for all Saturday that Oregon is his team.
- In my five takeaways from the game, I touched on Oregon’s defensive resilience, Joe Moorhead’s offensive masterclass and a few other notable storylines.
- I had some tough selections to make for Oregon’s offensive and defensive players of the game.
- Oregon skyrocketed in the polls after Saturday’s win and surged even higher in ESPN’s power rankings.
Lettermen Row coverage
- Lettermen Row’s Austin Ward delivered some snap judgements on Ohio State’s loss.
- Facing an early fork in road, Ohio State has to make hard decisions, Ward wrote.
- Oregon exposed some major Ohio State flaws on Saturday, Ward wrote. Now, the Buckeyes have some major questions to answer.
- Lettermen Row’s Spencer Holbrook gave his Ohio State players of the game and noted that even in a loss, C.J. Stroud flashed as a passer and leader.
- If you want to hear what Ohio State head coach Ryan Day had to say after Oregon’s win, Holbrook provided video of his postgame press conference.
- Lettermen Row’s Jeremy Birmingham analyzed the good, bad and ugly from Ohio State’s loss.
- Stephen Samra provided the perspective of Outkast rapper Big Boi — the father of Ducks’ running back Cross Patton — from a stunned Ohio Stadium.
- Pete Nakos wrote about the social media outrage after Noah Sewell was not ejected late in the game for his hit on Ohio State receiver Chris Olave.
- Nakos also provided a glimpse of the gaudy TV ratings that resulted from the game.
Sights and sounds from Columbus
Oregon marched into one of the most daunting environments in all of college football Saturday and quieted 97,000 Ohio State fans. It was a spectacular atmosphere that oscillated between deafeningly loud, and dead silent depending on the state of the game.
The showdown at The Shoe provided everything a college football fan could ask for.
Here are a few clips I captured in the final minutes, and aftermath, of Week 2’s marquee matchup.