OT: Can anyone identify this cat?

Importcock

Joined Aug 28, 2007 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 21, 2022
I set up a trail camera at my house in the WNC mountains about a month ago and finally got something worth looking at. Can anyone tell me what kind of cat it is? I'm thinking bobcat or maybe something like a lynx, but I know very little about this. Anyway I'd really like to know. Thanks in advance.
Edit: It helps if you go full screen to watch it.

CaughtLookin

Joined Jan 16, 2021
Jan 22, 2022
something that would eat your face!! A buddy of mine caught a full grown mountain lion on his trail cam this morning near Erwin, Tn.

Reactions: Importcock

Importcock

Jan 21, 2022
Bob....little tail wiggling. Looks like a juvenile.
Yeah, I didn't think it looked full grown. My uncle actually had one in a cage when I was a kid but that was so long ago I can't totally remember it. I know it was real scary looking for an 8 year old kid. Thanks

Importcock

Jan 21, 2022
something that would eat your face!! A buddy of mine caught a full grown mountain lion on his trail cam this morning near Erwin, Tn.
Now that's something I really don't want to see on mine! In fact I hope I don't see this bobcat in person. But I'm more concerned about my wife's little chihuahua. Thanks for the response

Jan 21, 2022
I set up a trail camera at my house in the WNC mountains about a month ago and finally got something worth looking at. Can anyone tell me what kind of cat it is? I'm thinking bobcat or maybe something like a lynx, but I know very little about this. Anyway I'd really like to know. Thanks in advance.
Edit: It helps if you go full screen to watch it.

That's Bob.. He's a cool cat...

Lakemurraycock

Joined Sep 28, 2003
Jan 20, 2022
That's Bob.. He's a cool cat...
Haha. My cat does not think so. Several years back my house cat was looking out the front door window when one came up on the porch. My cat started making a terrible howling sounds. That pissed off the bobcat and it attacked. At least it attacked until it hit the glass hard. My cat jumped straight up peeing the whole time with her legs running while airborne. She did not go outside or sit by the window for a long time.

Go Gamecocks

Jan 24, 2022
But I'm more concerned about my wife's little chihuahua.
Yup, but the barking likely will scare the cat off, while attract a coyote if it sees the dog. Coyotes are definitely more brazen around people if you have small animals they are interested in.
Lots of bobcats where I live. The only recorded attack around people was a rabid one. They run off just like feral cats.
Throw something at them and they run off.

Go Gamecocks

Jan 24, 2022
Haha. My cat does not think so. Several years back my house cat was looking out the front door window when one came up on the porch. My cat started making a terrible howling sounds. That pissed off the bobcat and it attacked. At least it attacked until it hit the glass hard. My cat jumped straight up peeing the whole time with her legs running while airborne. She did not go outside or sit by the window for a long time.

Reactions: Lakemurraycock

BattleshipTexas

Jan 23, 2022
Thanks. That's kinda what I'm thinking. Anyone else?
Not really the right coloring for a bobcat. But there is some variations in coloring, so it could be.

I had a weird cousin who managed to breed a bobcat with a standard Manx housecat. He got kittens that were about half way in size between bobcat and housecat. They all had the short tail, that must be a dominant trait. They grew up, but were sterile, so not a stable crossbreed. Since they weren't that big, some neighbor dogs tried to mess with them and were soon running away yelping. Nobody messed with them, they had short tempers and wicked claws. They had health problems and didn't live all that long. He didn't try that again.

Importcock

Jan 21, 2022
Not really the right coloring for a bobcat. But there is some variations in coloring, so it could be.

I had a weird cousin who managed to breed a bobcat with a standard Manx housecat. He got kittens that were about half way in size between bobcat and housecat. They all had the short tail, that must be a dominant trait. They grew up, but were sterile, so not a stable crossbreed. Since they weren't that big, some neighbor dogs tried to mess with them and were soon running away yelping. Nobody messed with them, they had short tempers and wicked claws. They had health problems and didn't live all that long. He didn't try that again.
Wow, that's interesting. I'm picturing a male housecat trying to mate with a female bobcat. Imagine if she wasn't on board with the plan. Could get ugly real quick, lol. I agree about the color but I think like you said there are variations. Also the pic was taken early one morning and it was fairly low light so the pic may not be totally accurate.

Freddie.B.Cocky

Joined Jul 19, 2002
Jan 21, 2022
Well your cat put up a good fight. My wife and I are cat lovers.

Reactions: Lakemurraycock

Latest posts