USC Men's Basketball Report - 1 Feb - THIS IS IT - PART II

RileyCock

Joined Jan 4, 2020
Feb 1, 2022
Well, USC moved all the way up to #97 in the NET (11 spots). I know this still doesn't seem good but there are still tons of Quad 1 opportunities that await and the SOS will continue to rise as the SEC plays the SEC. Another win tonight will move Carolina another 11 spots or so higher with another Quad 1 road win.

Tonight's Matchup

Well, there appear to be a lot of similarities between Texas A&M and Mississippi State in terms of record and how the teams have cooled off. Again, USC is facing the #1 (new - replaced Texas A&M) conference leader in turnover percentage, the #2 SEC team in Offensive Rebounding and the #14 team in 3-point shooting/13th in 3-point defense. Miss State is also 4th in Offensive Efficiency and 12th in Defensive Efficiency (USC is 14th and 5th respectively). So, again, it will boil down to whether an improving USC can exploit second chance points and limit offense rebounding. Again, the entire game will boil down to whether USC can limit the 2-point damage enough while tamping down turnovers. It worked on Saturday and needs to work today.

Deeper level analysis (points off turnovers, bench points, points in the point, etc.) show that Mississippi State has won and lost all of these categories along the way. Recent losses showed Miss State get hammered on bench points (-10) and points in the paint (a staggering -28) v. Texas Tech to winning these categories against Kentucky but getting handled by second chance points (-10) to beating Florida points in the paint by 14 but allowing Florida to go 10-24 from 3-pointers while losing late.

In the end, it seems to all boil down to defense. In those losses Mississippi State allowed 54%, 62% and 70% shooting in the second half. In the last 3, South Carolina has been a 52%, 45% and 54% second half shooting team.

This sets up perfectly for a "survive and thrive" game with a late run to salt away a victory. Has South Carolina turned the corner enough not to be overwhelmed early far from home and then have the confidence to pull off another 13-minute hammer for the rest of the game? Unless, Miss State started to enter quit mode with the Texas Tech massacre on Saturday, tonight it must happen, again, because analytically Mississippi State's players are better than USC. As important as controlling Henderson was last game, USC will need to control Iverson Molinar who is by far their most productive player -- hopefully, they can get him to force a bunch of threes. Hopefully #2, the refs will call moving screens and PG push offs as these are two things Mississippi State does more than ring cow bells but might not sure how bad it will be now that all of the Witherspoons are gone.

Calming Frank?

Of note, during the second half, Stevenson told Frank to calm down. It made enough of an impression that Frank jokingly made reference to it during the postgame show and said he finally has a team, again, where the players can step up and take over. I hope this is really the case and not just a "winning cures all" type comment. When the team and Frank appear to be concentrating on adjustments and not screaming every other play, they actually can get into a flow. If the team is starting to take over so much that Frank doesn't feel the need to micromanage (scream) after every negative possession then the team can reach its full potential.

Reese

I don't know if we're giving enough credit to Reese. He's usually tasked with guard their best player while also being responsible for a lot of offensive production in the most minutes of anyone on the team. From a production standard, the numbers place Reese, AJ Wilson and Woodley (who should be back tonight) as the most important players in conference play. Reese also put up 20 and 19 in the last 2 games and has an opportunity to score against one of the worst 3-point defenses in the league.

In the end, I am still hopeful but we all know how these teams will break your heart. Would love to hear your thoughts.

RileyCock

Joined Jan 4, 2020
Feb 1, 2022
Woodley unavailable tonight, again, due to birth of his daughter. Hope this doesn’t make a difference.

RileyCock

Joined Jan 4, 2020
Feb 1, 2022
Men hit a pretty good pothole tonight.
Yep. Frank talked about it in the postgame, no jump. You can try and hide how soft this team is a lot ways but whenever they face a team committed to inside play like the Arkansas game, they wilt.

Maybe they should play matchup zone the whole game.

Reactions: King Ward

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
Yep. Frank talked about it in the postgame, no jump. You can try and hide how soft this team is a lot ways but whenever they face a team committed to inside play like the Arkansas game, they wilt.

Boeheim made a career out of it - a legacy.

butchrobbins

Joined Jan 8, 2004
Jan 31, 2022

Maybe we shouldn't be playing Martin at the 4 spot.

RileyCock

Joined Jan 4, 2020
Feb 1, 2022
Maybe we shouldn't be playing Martin at the 4 spot.
I agree. It worked very well against Texas A&M but, generally, he is overmatched against teams that can pound the inside. Bryant is similarly overmatched on defense (he does have more offense than Martin when he’s not hoisting threes).
Personally, start AJ and either relieve him with another big or run 2-3 matchup zone — the 1-3-1 was not good.

Reactions: butchrobbins

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
I agree. It worked very well against Texas A&M but, generally, he is overmatched against teams that can pound the inside. Bryant is similarly overmatched on defense (he does have more offense than Martin when he’s not hoisting threes).
Personally, start AJ and either relieve him with another big or run 2-3 matchup zone — the 1-3-1 was not good.
Some of the best zone defense I ever saw was 1-3-1, but it takes people who are willing to move and can move. Any slowness is ripped apart by a good passing offensive team.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
UT has lengthened the lead in what has been a tight game this afternoon.

Dod Rangerfield

Jan 30, 2022
I absolutely HATE our basketball program. It literally makes no sense to me how we didn’t capitalize one bit on that Final Four run.

I know it won’t happen, but I’d be ecstatic if we’d send Martin to the house & go hire a Jerry Tarkanian/Kelvin Sampson type that won’t give a dern about rules. I want a consistent winner. Crooked coaches can get you one.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
I absolutely HATE our basketball program. It literally makes no sense to me how we didn’t capitalize one bit on that Final Four run.

I know it won’t happen, but I’d be ecstatic if we’d send Martin to the house & go hire a Jerry Tarkanian/Kelvin Sampson type that won’t give a dern about rules. I want a consistent winner. Crooked coaches can get you one.
What is crooked now? Serious question.

TN-Gamecock

Joined May 10, 2002
Jan 29, 2022
It'll cost over $2M more to do so.
C'mon folks, 2M to get him gone at this point seems like a steal...we get SEC $$$, have large donors, and simply can afford to get rid of this train wreck...

I'll say it AGAIN, Frank has the cushiest job in American...David Cuttcliff had that spot, but was let go after last year. It's time for Frank to go from the cushiest job....

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
Don't know & don't care. I don't care if the next coach recruits illiterate criminals as long as they can play, win, & dance regularly. Conference tournament title would be nice too.
I wish they would go to class. I wish somebody cared about what college is for.

Reactions: atl-cock

Gravitystinks

Joined Oct 21, 2020
Feb 1, 2022
It is very hard to win shooting under 40% but that’s what Frank tries to do game after game, year after year. He keeps trying and Tanner keeps letting him. Let me off this merry-go-round. Geez we are still moving aren’t we.

Reactions: Bubba Fett

Dod Rangerfield

Jan 30, 2022
I wish they would go to class. I wish somebody cared about what college is for.
I've never once paid money & spent much of a day going to campus & watching students take notes, do lab experiments, & type thesis papers. I want my school to win & win a lot.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
C'mon folks, 2M to get him gone at this point seems like a steal...we get SEC $$$, have large donors, and simply can afford to get rid of this train wreck...

I'll say it AGAIN, Frank has the cushiest job in American...David Cuttcliff had that spot, but was let go after last year. It's time for Frank to go from the cushiest job....
What I'm saying is that if we wait until April 1 or thereafter, his buyout reduces to $3M under the renegotiated contract. My understanding is waiting 2 months will simply save about $2M. If so......patience.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
I've never once paid money & spent much of a day going to campus & watching students take notes, do lab experiments, & type thesis papers. I want my school to win & win a lot.
The last time I heard it expressed that way, a UPC guy was saying it. It was several years ago. My grandson is about to go to college on an athletic grant-in-aid. I want him to get a degree while he's there.

Reactions: Rogue Cock

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022

I think you mean that you hate the men's basketball program. Hiring a crooked coach sends the wrong message, and is not worth the price.

Reactions: Cybercock

Dod Rangerfield

Jan 30, 2022
Clemron's 1981 football "championship" will always be tainted in my mind. We must be better than that.
“In your mind.”

The trophy is still there. The mention of it on the facade of the stadium is still there. I’d cheat more than the Black Sox if it brought titles.

Reactions: Legendary Cock

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
I want my school to win in the classroom. Athletic victories are gravy.

Reactions: King Ward

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
“In your mind.”

The trophy is still there. The mention of it on the facade of the stadium is still there. I’d cheat more than the Black Sox if it brought titles.

Facade is an excellent term to use.

Latest posts