Washington Admirals.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Doesn't the NFL have a hand in naming expansion teams, as well as input into their nicknames, colors, and uniform designs?
The NFL has control of lots of details. Ever notice that, unlike high school and college, no NFL player has any part of their leg exposed while in uniform. And coaches, for all practical purposes, cannot wear jackets and ties on the field, The manufacturer with whom the NFL has an attire/uniform deal, which all personnel must wear on the field, does not manufacture jackets and ties.

I miss those days. Loved Tom Landry's jackets, ties, and hats.

CaughtLookin

Joined Jan 16, 2021
Jan 22, 2022
Beaufort High School Eagles
Chapin High School Eagles
Airport High School Eagles
Statesboro (GA) High School Eagles
Clover High School Blue Eagles (what is a blue eagle?)
Boston College Eagles
Philadelphia Football team
an eagle with rhythm?

• Haha
Reactions: atl-cock

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
Tigers has primacy.
Tigers have primacy because that is their name. And no, I wouldn't try to take away their song and story. Why would I, even if I could? I never gave a crap about Auburn but I did live in Alabama for 14 years. I know their story. I did like Pat Sullivan and Terry Beasley back in the day. And like most people I was in awe of Bo Jackson.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
Tigers have primacy because that is their name. And no, I wouldn't try to take away their song and story. Why would I, even if I could? I never gave a crap about Auburn but I did live in Alabama for 14 years. I know their story. I did like Pat Sullivan and Terry Beasley back in the day. And like most people I was in awe of Bo Jackson.
Since you have history with that state, what is the origin of War Eagles? What inclined them to make their fight song eponymous with that name?

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
Since you have history with that state, what is the origin of War Eagles? What inclined them to make their fight song eponymous with that name?
It goes back to 1892.

Golden Eagle

Southeastern Raptor Center

WAR EAGLE BATTLE CRY​

"War Eagle" is Auburn's battle cry — not a mascot or nickname. The phrase has a long history and deep significance among the Auburn Family (e.g., students, alumni, fans) who use it to greet and identify with each other all over the world!
The most popular legend about the battle cry dates back to the first time Auburn met Georgia on the football field in 1892 and centers on a spectator who was a Civil War veteran. In the stands with him that day was an eagle the old soldier had found on a battlefield during the war. He had kept it as a pet for almost 30 years.
According to witnesses, the eagle suddenly broke free and began majestically circling the playing field. As the eagle soared, Auburn began a steady march toward the Georgia end zone for a thrilling victory. Elated at their team's play and taking the bird's presence as an omen of success, Auburn students and fans began to yell “War Eagle” to spur on their team. At the game's end, the eagle took a sudden dive, crashed into the ground, and died.
But the War Eagle battle cry lived on to become a symbol of the proud Auburn spirit.
"War Eagle" is Auburn's battle cry — not a mascot or nickname. The phrase has a long history and deep significance among the Auburn Family (e.g., students, alumni, fans) who use it to greet and identify with each other all over the world!"

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
Would you try to take War Eagles away from them? I wouldn't try it myself. They are both, although I would agree that, for the purposes of athletics, Tigers has primacy.
They have a War Eagle Tradition / Chant. They do not call themselves the War Eagles.

Neanderthal

Jan 25, 2022
Well, to venture slightly off subject, what is a Kraken? The Seattle Kraken of the NHL. Weird. Do they say “I play for the Kraken” or “I play for the Krakens?”

Thomas_Shelby

Feb 5, 2022
No. That’s the point. You’re rooting for people, not a logo. You’re enjoying watching people play a sport with friends and family, not getting enjoyment from a logo.

The logo and nickname didn’t make people like the team, the team made the people like the logo and nickname. The team will do the same for the new logo and nickname.
Teams have mascots to attract women that don’t care about sports. Oh, I like bulldogs, they are cute as can be! I’ll root for your team. I like baby blue. I’ll root for the Tar Heels. Why Washington picked a dirty ugly in appealing mascot is quite surprising, but so is everything coming out of that piss hole town.

bayrooster

Jan 21, 2022
Well, to venture slightly off subject, what is a Kraken? The Seattle Kraken of the NHL. Weird. Do they say “I play for the Kraken” or “I play for the Krakens?”
I'm pretty sure Seattle doesn't want a Kraken to call on them, but it could clean up the streets.

Latest posts