OT- Asbestos as prop snow

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Was just on a meeting where I learned that movies like The Wizard of Oz, Its a Wonderful LIfe, and Miracle on 34th Street used asbestos to depict snow.
It was commonly used for home Christmas displays too.

The stuff was known to be dangerous back in the early 1900s.
I wonder what specific products we use right now that are known to be potentially dangerous, still heavily used despite documented danger, and will eventually be banned in a few decades.

Straight rolling in it.

• Wow
Reactions: horshack.sixpack

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Was just on a meeting where I learned that movies like The Wizard of Oz, Its a Wonderful LIfe, and Miracle on 34th Street used asbestos to depict snow.

I wonder what specific products we use right now that are known to be potentially dangerous, still heavily used despite documented danger, and will eventually be banned in a few decades.

Straight rolling in it.
Many of those folks lived a long life too. Go figure. I guess it's good that the mesothelioma lawfare industry wasn't around back then.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012

Straight rolling in it.
Probably plastics. I've reheated so much spaghetti in those cheap-*** reusable plastic bowls. What we're now learning about plastic particles sounds NOT GREAT.

And that's not even getting into the costs to water/air - like many Sixpackers I consider myself more of a conservationist than environmentalist, but single use plastics seem pretty devastating all the way around. They sure are convenient though.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Probably plastics. I've reheated so much spaghetti in those cheap-*** reusable plastic bowls. What we're now learning about plastic particles sounds NOT GREAT.

And that's not even getting into the costs to water/air - like many Sixpackers I consider myself more of a conservationist than environmentalist, but single use plastics seem pretty devastating all the way around. They sure are convenient though.
Yeah, I figure plastics is the main possible candidate, but I am so unsure of which of the seemingly 100 different types are 'worse' for us vs the environment, or if there is even any real difference. Microplastics are basically everywhere and so widespread that they slow down ocean waves. Will that **** kill us or do we just live with it in us and everything around us moving forward?

Also, can we realistically ban plastic? I am looking at probably 50 things in my direct view right now that have plastic in em.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022

Straight rolling in it.
Testosterone supplements are common for you olds, and incredibly risky.

Chemical exposure in general. It's really as bad for you as radiation, but we don't think of it that way.

UV. Use your sunscreen yutes. That tan ain't worth the future wrinkles and old skin.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Straight rolling in it.
Is asbestos that dangerous though? I know it's dangerous to work with because of particles being inhaled, but would one day exposure, in any form, really be noticeably harmful? I honestly don't know how bad it is but I woudl assume that if one day of exposure to it was noticeably harmful you wouldn't have had people work with it for years.

But to answer your question:
- social media - I'd like to think at some point giving a 13 year old a smart phone and access to social media will seem dumber and more horrific than handing them a pack of cigarettes and a lighter and telling them smoking will make them look cool and improve their lungs.
- microplastics is a good candidate, but probably only to the extent it is increasing in concentration in the environment. I would assume if using it as an individual was really hugely detrimental, you would see more of an impact in the life expectancy records by now. Been decades of people eating microwave dinners, drinking out of plastic containers, eating out of plastic containers, reheating in plastic containers, hell, wearing plastic, that whatever harmful effects must be relatively mild overall. Uptick in cancer rates, maybe? Maybe increase in autoimmune disorders? haven't seen anything on that, I'm just guessing because it seems like everything causes cancer, and autoimmune disorders (including serious allergies) seem to be on the rise.
- antibiotic usage? - With how important people are starting to think the microbiome and gutbiome are for a lot of stuff, maybe we'll find out that worrying about resistant bacterias was the wrong focus (again, just guessing here; all the stuff about micro- and gut-biome could be quackery for all I know).
- flame retardants - I'd put these basically like plastics. Probably not a huge deal but a lot damn more of them.
- sugar - I see so many fit parents with fat kids that I am having trouble believing we aren't 17ing up their metabolism beyond just letting them sit inside and do too many screens.
- marijuana - both smoke and non-smoke forms. I don't think it's going to be banned or anything, but lots of people are being delusional in thinking that none of the harmful effects from smoking cigarettes apply to marijuana and also in thinking that because smoking relatively low THC for decades didn't show major health impacts that much higher THC concentrations will have similarly manageable health effects.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Testosterone supplements are common for you olds, and incredibly risky.

Chemical exposure in general. It's really as bad for you as radiation, but we don't think of it that way.

UV. Use your sunscreen yutes. That tan ain't worth the future wrinkles and old skin.
I do use sunscreen but how do we know there's nothing in it that will cause issues in the upcoming years? We don't.

Johnson's Baby Powder was deemed safe and benign up until a few year ago.

There are probably some products we use daily that will be considered dangerous is a few years.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I do use sunscreen but how do we know there's nothing in it that will cause issues in the upcoming years? We don't.

Johnson's Baby Powder was deemed safe and benign up until a few year ago.

I mean, I think it's probably still safe? The science is pretty inconclusive as far as I know. Not sure how much of that science was sponsored by the Johnson and Johnson Baby Powder Institute for Science, but think about how many people have used it and how few alleged issues there are. Does it increase the risk of ovarian cancer or whatever in women that use it daily for years? Maybe? Hard to tell? Even for baby powder with talc that has asbestos (which is not supposed to be used in baby powder but obviously no quality control is perfect, even when they are actually legitimately not cutting corners), how many people use it in a way consistently that inhaling it is a serious risk?

There are probably some products we use daily that will be considered dangerous is a few years.
And I think that's going to be a big part of what we find out. Dose makes the poison and all that. Probably going to be lots of products that don't have any noticeable safety risks the way they are used by teh average person. But you use it every day for decades and maybe the cumulate exposure is enough to make the risk identifiable.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

Have they tied microplastics to any specific health diagnosis? I've seen a lot of headlines about testing for it in blood and such with implications that it is bad (seems plausible) but I've not seen anything related to a tie between that and any specific bad health outcomes. Seems like we are just starting to track it but a ways away from understanding it.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Roundup should be way down the list of things you should be concerned about that get sprayed on crops.

There’s a multitude of other herbicides that are much more toxic, short and long-term than roundup
It's a shame they were so late (1970 I think) banning Agent Orange. Caused a ton of post war illnesses after Vietnam.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
It's a shame they were so late (1970 I think) banning Agent Orange. Caused a ton of post war illnesses after Vietnam.
Agent Orange was a 1:1 mixture of 2,4D and 2,4,5T. The 2,4,5T (also known as Agent Pink) was later banned. It was used as a rice herbicide until the late 70s and was eventually replaced by Dicamba. They are all auxin herbicides.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I think I saw that we have been dropping in life expectancy vs other first world nations for a while now.
Our life expectsncy is taking a big hit from fentanyl right now. Also I believe “deaths of despair” in general right now (alcoholism, non fentanyl ODs, suicide). Other than that we suffer from gang violence and car fatalities on the young side and just generally being unhealthy fat 17s on the old side.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Roundup should be way down the list of things you should be concerned about that get sprayed on crops.

There’s a multitude of other herbicides that are much more toxic, short and long-term than roundup
I wasn’t even thinking about it being sprayed on food. I was more thinking everytime I’m spraying my yard the wind shifts and blows it all over me, and inhaling the drift.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
And yet, as bad as the things discussed in this thread are:
View attachment 575819
Bad use of stats. Infant mortality has seen large increases from medical improvements, which comes out in "life expectancy since birth" stats as increases in life expectancy.

You want to look at "life expectancy since adulthood" for this question.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I wasn’t even thinking about it being sprayed on food. I was more thinking everytime I’m spraying my yard the wind shifts and blows it all over me, and inhaling the drift.
Just think about this in regards to that…. If that were the case and it was legitimately harmful then all farmers would be dead or dying from cancer including myself. It’s been around for about 40 years now.

If I get Roundup on me I just go wash it off. If I get some paraquat on me I’m scrubbing quick.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Just think about this in regards to that…. If that were the case and it was legitimately harmful then all farmers would be dead or dying from cancer including myself. It’s been around for about 40 years now.

If I get Roundup on me I just go wash it off. If I get some paraquat on me I’m scrubbing quick.
ron burgundy anchorman GIF

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
1000016594.png

This is highly skewed from the pandemic. You are free to think whatever you want to think. More people died from age 40-60 than ever before. Those are facts. I don't listen to anyone but epidemiologists. Feel free to listen to whoever the hell you want to that claims to have "the real secret info".

But in a few years we will be back up to around 80 years old as the life expectancy in the U.S.

Reactions: Hot Rock

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
View attachment 575961

This is highly skewed from the pandemic. You are free to think whatever you want to think. More people died from age 40-60 than ever before. Those are facts. I don't listen to anyone but epidemiologists. Feel free to listen to whoever the hell you want to that claims to have "the real secret info".

But in a few years we will be back up to around 80 years old as the life expectancy in the U.S.
Well you just go on trusting people with fancy smancy MDs and such then.***