The worst message board cliches......

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
If you get rid of Franklin, who you gonna get to replace him, huh? huh?
(as though Franklin is irreplaceable)

Franklin is not irreplaceable but people drastically underestimate the difficulty in finding a coach that can win even as consistently as James Franklin has and they overestimate how many coaches out there are better than James Franklin. Is there someone out there we could hire that would be better? Maybe. Is it easy to hire that guy if we get rid of James Franklin? I'm not so sure it wouldn't take us 2-3 hires to get someone that is as good as James.

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
“My football coach used to shower with us after practice too. It wasn’t weird back then.”

The gym teacher in my high school used to shower at the school. I always found it so weird. He wouldn't do it during school hours but I was on the wrestling team and when we would come back into the locker room after practice to shower (as we were required to do because of bacteria like ring worm) he would often be finishing up his shower. I saw that man naked more times than I can count. I don't know why he couldn't just shower at home.

Reactions: Connorpozlee

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
- “the coach didn’t have them ready to play”. As if a coach can wave a magic wand and get an entire team ready to go every single game.
- “he got outcoached” every time a team loses or has a close win. I guess it has nothing to do with how the players played.

Teams can be unprepared mentally to play, that is true. However, it doesn't mean that the staff didn't do everything in their power to prepare them to focus out of the gate. Sometimes it isn't enough and things can spiral pretty quickly in a game.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Franklin is not irreplaceable but people drastically underestimate the difficulty in finding a coach that can win even as consistently as James Franklin has and they overestimate how many coaches out there are better than James Franklin. Is there someone out there we could hire that would be better? Maybe. Is it easy to hire that guy if we get rid of James Franklin? I'm not so sure it wouldn't take us 2-3 hires to get someone that is as good as James.

What is it about beating the teams you should beat that is so attractive? Franklin also loses to teams he shouldn’t lose to. The inverse of your statement is also glaringly true.

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
What is it about beating the teams you should beat that is so attractive? Franklin also loses to teams he shouldn’t lose to. The inverse of your statement is also glaringly true.
How many coaches haven’t lost to a team they shouldn’t lose to in the last two years? It’s not as easy as you’re making it out to be.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
How many coaches haven’t lost to a team they shouldn’t lose to in the last two years? It’s not as easy as you’re making it out to be.

A bunch. in 2023, when favored at home, only 11 Division 1 schools had a losing record. When on the road, only 27 schools had a losing record. This is out of 134 Division I teams. For some perspective, Penn State was a home favorite in 6 games in 2023 (won all six), and a favorite in 4 games on the road (won all four). They lost the two games they were underdogs in. So, it's a lot.

Last edited:

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
The gym teacher in my high school used to shower at the school. I always found it so weird. He wouldn't do it during school hours but I was on the wrestling team and when we would come back into the locker room after practice to shower (as we were required to do because of bacteria like ring worm) he would often be finishing up his shower. I saw that man naked more times than I can count. I don't know why he couldn't just shower at home.
I don’t understand your problem here

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
A bunch. in 2023, when favored at home, only 11 Division 1 schools had a losing record. When on the road, only 27 schools had a losing record. This is out of 134 Division I teams. For some perspective, Penn State was a home favorite in 6 games in 2023 (won all six), and a favorite in 4 games on the road (won all four). They lost the two games they were underdogs in. So, it's not a lot.

I didn’t say had a winning record, I said how many coaches in the last two years beat every team they should have beaten….Harbaugh didn’t, Ryan Day didn’t, Saban didn’t, Smart didn’t….so there aren’t “a bunch”.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I didn’t say had a winning record, I said how many coaches in the last two years beat every team they should have beaten….Harbaugh didn’t, Ryan Day didn’t, Saban didn’t, Smart didn’t….so there aren’t “a bunch”.

Ohio State was 11-0 as the favorite last year. They were underdogs (+3) to Michigan and lost. It’s not an exclusive club by any means - just look at the data. There are more than a bunch. It’s ‘most’.

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
Ohio State was 11-0 as the favorite last year. They were underdogs (+3) to Michigan and lost. It’s not an exclusive club by any means - just look at the data. There are more than a bunch. It’s ‘most’.
So you are basically saying that upsets in college football are very rare- and pretty much only happen to Penn State.

I really think you are trying too hard.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
So you are basically saying that upsets in college football are very rare- and pretty much only happen to Penn State.

I really think you are trying too hard.

Harder than James Franklin it seems (phrasing!).

Around 30 teams had .500 record or better as underdog last year. Around 70 had at least one win when the underdog. Around 30 had no wins as an underdog. Penn State (and OSU) among them.

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
And Day lost to Missouri. And it’s not even close to most, or coaches would never get fired. And you’re looking at one year, even fewer do it two years in a row.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
And Day lost to Missouri. And it’s not even close to most, or coaches would never get fired. And you’re looking at one year, even fewer do it two years in a row.
You start accumulating ‘passes’ when you win B1G Championships and make the playoffs.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Found this in the May 22, 2024 edition of the New York Times/The Athletic/Stewart Mandel mailbag:

Is James Franklin at Penn State comparable to Mark Richt at UGA? Richt won two SEC championships in 15 years, with no national championship appearances, a .750 overall record and a .690 SEC record. Franklin has been at PSU for 10 years, won one Big Ten championship and has records of .690 and .640. — Anthony C., Columbus, Ohio

While they both fit the “close, but not quite” label, I would not put Franklin’s tenure to date on the same level as Richt’s. For one thing, Franklin has not come close to winning a national title. His team’s highest final ranking in a season was No. 7, in both 2016 and 2022. The Nittany Lions never reached the four-team CFP.

Richt, on the other hand, had three teams in his first 12 seasons finish in the top five. His 2002 team that went 13-1 would have made a four-team Playoff, and his 2007 (which finished the season No. 2) and 2012 (No. 5) squads would have been in the mix.

And while Richt’s teams generally played second fiddle first to Florida under Meyer and then Alabama under Nick Saban, they did win a lot of big games — 12 of them against top-10 opponents. Franklin arguably has just one signature win, the 2016 upset of No. 2 Ohio State that propelled Penn State to the Big Ten championship. Overall, he is 3-17 against top-10 opponents.

It’s easy to play revisionist history about Richt now, nearly a decade after his 2015 ouster, given the juggernaut Georgia became once Kirby Smart took over. But in real-time, he was considered one of the best coaches in the sport for most of his tenure, even as Georgia fans grew frustrated over too many losses to Florida and his inability to reach a national title game.

Based solely on record, Franklin has had a successful tenure at Penn State, but it’s based on a lot of empty calories. He needs to show he can beat a highly ranked Ohio State- or Michigan-type team occasionally.

GregInPitt

Oct 13, 2021
How about "That being said...."

As if adding that blurb makes what they said previously creditable and or a fact.

When I read a "that being said" it's obvious that it's a waste of time reading further.........

Latest posts