“Purdue's Zach Edey missing out on profits due to U.S. NIL law”

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
See the link below. From the article:

”GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Purdue center Zach Edey has been frustrated with United States law that prevents him from capitalizing on NIL deals on American soil.

"I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of money," Edey, the two-time AP Player of the Year, said Friday at the Final Four.

Since Edey, who is Canadian, is at Purdue on a student visa, he's not legally allowed to make any money through NIL deals that take place in America. However, there are loopholes. For example, he can accept NIL money if the work that led to that money was done elsewhere.

Edey can do NIL deals when he's home in Canada or when he or Purdue travels internationally. He said Friday he can make money off jersey sales, which he described as passive income.

"It's not like I can go film a commercial in West Lafayette," Edey said.

Edey expressed hope that the law will eventually be revised to allow international players to make money on domestic soil.”

Instead of blaming the U.S. law, how about accepting responsibility for being Canadian? o_O

Reactions: Sharkies

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
Don't really care. Make your free throws you freak.

Not you Bob. You're not a freak.

Reactions: BobPSU92

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
See the link below. From the article:

”GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Purdue center Zach Edey has been frustrated with United States law that prevents him from capitalizing on NIL deals on American soil.

"I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of money," Edey, the two-time AP Player of the Year, said Friday at the Final Four.

Since Edey, who is Canadian, is at Purdue on a student visa, he's not legally allowed to make any money through NIL deals that take place in America. However, there are loopholes. For example, he can accept NIL money if the work that led to that money was done elsewhere.

Edey can do NIL deals when he's home in Canada or when he or Purdue travels internationally. He said Friday he can make money off jersey sales, which he described as passive income.

"It's not like I can go film a commercial in West Lafayette," Edey said.

Edey expressed hope that the law will eventually be revised to allow international players to make money on domestic soil.”

Instead of blaming the U.S. law, how about accepting responsibility for being Canadian? o_O
Edey's not very bright. It's not "NIL law" that prevents him from cashing in, it's US immigration law. There are serious restrictions on foreign students, all foreign students, not just athletes from working off campus. Don't see changing a broader law to accommodate athletes. Besides, doubt that General Mills wants his mug on their cereal boxes.

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
I've never met a rude Canadian, maybe there aren't any?

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
I dated a woman from Toronto for a spell way way back. She wasn’t rude but boy did she have a sharp tongue. Lovely person, real smarts and a noteworthy work ethic. She probably would think of me as a jerk, totally appropriate.
"Sharpe tongue" has a different meaning to me from you.... that must have been fun!

• Haha
Reactions: LionJim

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Wasnt this the same issue impacting Theo Johnson until he got US citizenship?

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
I dated a woman from Toronto for a spell way way back. She wasn’t rude but boy did she have a sharp tongue. Lovely person, real smarts and a noteworthy work ethic. She probably would think of me as a jerk, totally appropriate.
I’ve got a group of three really good friends that I coach with and one of them is Canadian. He is an awesome guy and a fantastic football coach. One of the best offensive line coaches I’ve ever seen, he probably should be running some of the big-time coaching clinics, rather than some of the other guys that I have watched. But regarding Canada, he said that those people up there aren’t nearly as nice as they claim to be.

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
He could have gone to the NBA last year and cashed some big checks. Don't whine about it when it was your choice to stay in the college game.

Reactions: Bosco2

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
I’ve got a group of three really good friends that I coach with and one of them is Canadian. He is an awesome guy and a fantastic football coach. One of the best offensive line coaches I’ve ever seen, he probably should be running some of the big-time coaching clinics, rather than some of the other guys that I have watched. But regarding Canada, he said that those people up there aren’t nearly as nice as they claim to be.
I've spent a fair amount of time in Nova Scotia, and they pretty much are.

Like here, it depends on where you are.

Reactions: Bison13

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
He could have gone to the NBA last year and cashed some big checks. Don't whine about it when it was your choice to stay in the college game.
The jury is out on Edey's NBA prospects. It's a different game nowadays.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021

The jury is out on Edey's NBA prospects. It's a different game nowadays.

I agree with LionJim.

Yes, edey could have entered the draft last year and done well for himself. On the one hand, he wanted to come back to pu for a shot at the national championship. Last year, 1-seed pu got embarrassed by losing to 16-seed fairleigh ridiculous in the first round. Ever since, people have been talking about pu’s REVENGE. TOUR. o_O .

Also, had edey entered the NBA draft last year, he would have been overshadowed by Wemby. This year, edey may stand out better as a top big man (although one mock draft I saw only has him at #33).

PSUSignore

Oct 25, 2021
And I'm frustrated I can't just go to Canada to get cheaper healthcare whenever I want. Why is this a story?

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
He wasn’t even guaranteed to be drafted last year. Second rounder at best, he did the right thing to come back to school and improve his game and erase the memory of losing to a 16 seed. I’m not sure he will be drafted higher than 20th this year, but either way he will be playing professional basketball somewhere next year.

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
I've spent a fair amount of time in Nova Scotia, and they pretty much are.

Like here, it depends on where you are.
Very true, working in rural Pennsylvania, everyone is exceptionally nice but the closer I get to Baltimore and DC, the more jerks and general abrasiveness of each person increases.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
I agree with LionJim.

Yes, edey could have entered the draft last year and done well for himself. On the one hand, he wanted to come back to pu for a shot at the national championship. Last year, 1-seed pu got embarrassed by losing to 16-seed fairleigh ridiculous in the first round. Ever since, people have been talking about pu’s REVENGE. TOUR. o_O .

Also, had edey entered the NBA draft last year, he would have been overshadowed by Wemby. This year, edey may stand out better as a top big man (although one mock draft I saw only has him at #33).

I just saw a projection of Edey going 13th in the draft so I could be wrong.
Will be interesting to see how he matches up against Clingan tomorrow night.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Will be interesting to see how he matches up against Clingan tomorrow night.
Edey absolutely does not back down. Nobody does, but Edey is constantly fighting. He’s got great conditioning, very impressive.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Not questioning his fitness or determination. Not sure that he has the skills to be a top NBA player.
What he does he does very well but doesn’t translate well to the NBA. But that has nothing to do with the game in Monday.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
What he does he does very well but doesn’t translate well to the NBA. But that has nothing to do with the game in Monday.
Understand, but what he does well is largely against players over who he enjoys a considerable size advantage, He has no size advantage over Clingan who can actually move. Gonna guess that scouts will be interested in how he does on that test.

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
Understand, but what he does well is largely against players over who he enjoys a considerable size advantage, He has no size advantage over Clingan who can actually move. Gonna guess that scouts will be interested in how he does on that test.
Yes, Clingan is thought of as more of a NBA prospect than Edey because of athleticism. Neither one of them will be focal points of an NBA offense without outside shots, but with improved passing ability, they can both be solid role players.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Yes, Clingan is thought of as more of a NBA prospect than Edey because of athleticism. Neither one of them will be focal points of an NBA offense without outside shots, but with improved passing ability, they can both be solid role players.
Edey also need to improve his handle, but that's doable.