6 times in the RED ZONE

EddyS

Oct 25, 2021
And one touchdown= horrid offensive line play.
I don’t know if it is talent or coaching or both.
This has been going on for at least 4 to 5 years.
But until it is fixed, we will not be in the major leagues. FIX IT.

Alphalion75

Oct 21, 2021
I hate to say it, but I've begun to dread getting inside the 10 yard line. This team can move the ball, but it seems to run out of "options" when it gets into short yardage situations.
I always fret when we have a long play that puts us inside the 5 yard line. I have no confidence that we will push it across the goal line.

EddyS

Oct 25, 2021
I hate to say it, but I've begun to dread getting inside the 10 yard line. This team can move the ball, but it seems to run out of "options" when it gets into short yardage situations.
Short yardage situation = run the ball, which we seem incapable of doing.

Reactions: gslachta and Psu00

ManxomeLion

Aug 24, 2017
Well if your offense is predicated on explosive plays and an explosive play is defined as 15 yards or more, how do you score from the 5 yard line? 🤔
Maybe run backwards 10 yards and take a knee?

Reactions: Ram20

NewEra 2014

Oct 12, 2021
Yet in the Wisconsin game, Penn State scored TDs when they got to the red zone. I was very encouraged by this season's prospects after Penn State won tough games against Wisconsin and Auburn and was finishing drives. I thought they had turned the corner. I also saw a Big Ten with no great teams, which has been proven out this season. Even OSU has had several better teams in recent years than this year's edition, and Michigan is not very good this year. But Penn State is worse.

Part of the issue is that like many top 25 teams today, Penn State seems to lose its edge once they take a loss on the season. Guys start looking towards their NFL prospects, rather than focusing on the rest of the season. We went from guys like Arrington, Connor, Poz and Lee to guys like Micah Parsons. I don't mind guys leaving early for the NFL, but guys who sort of ease up after their team is out of the running are really bothersome.

The missed "tackle" from #12 on 3rd and 13 on Michigan's first TD drive epitomizes today's player. I sort of figured Penn State was going to lose after that play. Penn State doesn't have enough margin for error to do that sort of thing and still win games.

Nohow

Oct 25, 2021
Is it all the OL? Lee had 20 carries for 88 yards, a 4.4 average. I think it is just as much refusal to play their best back. And a QB that has some problems with spotting receivers.

ManxomeLion

Aug 24, 2017
Anyone recall the fond old days when it was playcalling by committee where the pass and run playcalling was split between Galen and Jay? And how disjointed and incoherent the playcalling seemed? I get a similar vibe with the playcalling, especially the run game this season.

Case in point, we sub Lee for Lovett and call a pass to the RB. Yet Lovett has been struggling catching the ball and it seemed clear that Lee was having success and if I recall, Lee has demonstrated good skills as a receiver. It's as if the RB rotation occurs regardless of situational circumstances at the moment.

I actually don't mind the RB by committee, but could they at least rotate RBs per series rather than per play? Seems like it would be less disruptive to the tempo and momentum.

Ram20

Oct 25, 2021
Well if your offense is predicated on explosive plays and an explosive play is defined as 15 yards or more, how do you score from the 5 yard line? 🤔
Maybe run backwards 10 yards and take a knee?
That's it exactly. Our entire offensive philosophy is predicated on explosives. Its why our linemen block for the minimal amount of time, why we can't run, why we never seem nasty at the point of attack. Things get pretty tight in the red zone, very little margin of error, if you simply can't drive block or power run, what can you do? I don't understand why our TEs aren't more of a focus there, but still, I just dont know what an offense that doesn't block and can't run the ball does from the 5 yard line. The ethos of this offense is wait around for a couple big plays that may or may not come, how often do our guys win their one on one plays? Dotson does, ruuninbacks don't, linemen rarely do.

Reactions: arr2

EddyS

Oct 25, 2021
Is it all the OL? Lee had 20 carries for 88 yards, a 4.4 average. I think it is just as much refusal to play their best back. And a QB that has some problems with spotting receivers.
Not all but an awful lot.
and inside the 20, running the ball is a really big deal Imo.

OB Lion

Oct 19, 2021
Because running is not an viable option. Until the o-line is fixed, this will remain a problem.

Lion Backer

Oct 25, 2021
And one touchdown= horrid offensive line play.
I don’t know if it is talent or coaching or both.
This has been going on for at least 4 to 5 years.
But until it is fixed, we will not be in the major leagues. FIX IT.
When CJF opted for a failed flashy attempt to score rather than take the 3 points, he gave the momentum to Michigan. This is only one of many like scenarios this year. Rather than make knee-jerk in-game decisions, CJF should have a coherent game plan and stick with it.

Reactions: step.eng69