Another genius adult on the mat at a HS tournament

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Some people are flat-out crazy. I'm glad I wasn't reffing this match. If I were, I would have been much more active than the ref in this video, and I would have made sure that this parent/coach was thrown out of the building. You come out on a mat uninvited, I'll make sure you are thrown out. You come out and hit a kid that is wrestling (as took place here -- something I've never encountered), I'm not sure if I'd want you thrown out or held until the police arrested you. What a $hat $how, though I am happy to see how the IHSAA (the equivalent of the PIAA, but in Idaho) handled the incident.

Last edited:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Some people are flat-out crazy. I'm glad I wasn't reffing this match. If I were, I would have been much more active than the ref in this video, and I would have made sure that this parent/coach was thrown out of the building. You come out on a mat uninvited, I'll make sure you are thrown out. You come out and hit a kid that is wrestling (as took place here -- something I've never encountered), I'm not sure if I'd want you thrown out or held until the police arrested you. What a $hat $how, though I am happy to see how the IHSAA (the equivalent of the PIAA, but in Idaho) handled the incident.

If you didn't click all the links, here's how the IHSAA responded:

- a lifetime ban from coaching Idaho high school sports for Russell Brunson
- a ban on attending ANY IHSAA sporting events for the rest of this school year, and for the 2024-2025 school year for Russell Brunson

He (Russell Brunson) was a volunteer assistant coach for Rocky Mountain High School.

I should add that the parent/coach that came out on the mat, and hit the opposing wrestler, was not ejected from the tournament. The articles I read do not indicate who made that decision, or why it was made. As I indicated in the initial post, I've never faced this specific situation. The closest I had in terms of whether or not an individual was removed was when I ejected an adult from a youth tournament (repeated complaints about my calls, and he then cursed at me after a call), and there was some debate by those running it as to whether or not he needed to leave the building. I left the mat, and informed those running it that I would not continue reffing if he was not removed from the building. He was removed, so I resumed reffing.

Last edited:

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022

The assailant looks like Tom Brands, all dressed in black. Idaho/Iowa - hmmmmmmm . . .

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
So here's the guy's letter to explain his reason/excuse. It's was an illegal choke hold. His son's face was turning red and his eyes were bulging out of his face. Apparently all that happened within about three seconds. Red face. Eyes bulging. He supposedly even has his own video of the hold. It was all just a misunderstanding.

What a dumbass.

Last edited:

Latest posts