Barraclough

McScoreley

Oct 31, 2021
Allegedly majored Joe Lee in the wrestleoff. I know Mineo tweeted it but it seems to have been corroborated by both Willie and Corby as well on the show.

Discuss? Joe Lee not 100%? (Didn't wrestle for a reason last weekend) Is he mentally broken at this point? Did Barraclough make some insane jump?

jbeldingk

Oct 7, 2021
Maybe Bearclaw is actually a 57 pounder and was cutting too much to be at his best last year. My recollection is that he wrestled tough, close matches, didn’t put up many points and didn’t allow many points. I’m a fan (sometimes) of Joe Lee’s go big mindset, but maybe that style is what allowed the Bearclaw to put up points in the wrestle off. All this assumes the rumor is true and given with zero inside info

Oct 15, 2021
I don't know that it's an "insane" jump. He only lost 3-2 to Yahya Thomas last year. I also hear that he's an extremely hard worker. Wouldn't be the first guy to make steady solid improvements after spending a few years in the room.

82bordeaux

Oct 29, 2021
I don't know that it's an "insane" jump. He only lost 3-2 to Yahya Thomas last year. I also hear that he's an extremely hard worker. Wouldn't be the first guy to make steady solid improvements after spending a few years in the room.

The kid has a super high IQ. He's a sponge. He believes in himself. And he has a motor that won't quit. He'll win a bunch of matches in the 3rd period.

crockster

Oct 31, 2021
If he majored Lee, then I am really anxious to see 2021 version of him and see how he does. He has always been talked about very positively when people close to the program talk about him. He could be a surprise. QWe have had them before, like Cassar, Shak , Conway, English . A couple years in the room hopefully have to pay some big diviends for him.

BruceK-PSU83

Oct 31, 2021
I hope not, but this result could say as much (or more) about Joe Lee than about Barraclough. It seems unlikely the PSU staff would allow a wrestle-off unless both guys were okay/healthy, so I doubt Lee is limited physically. And I don't know whether Lee's better weight is 157 or 165, and have no clue about his mental state. But I do know that, at least to date, Joe Lee has been much over-hyped on this message board.

Ernie Ladd

Oct 31, 2021
I was in the camp of hyping Joe Lee prior to the last season, and based on his RS performances, it would have been hard not to do that.

Something went wrong last year, and I do not think Joe has been overhyped in the last 9 months.

I think everyone was tempering expectations and taking a wait and see attitude at whatever weight he competed.

Reactions: PSU fan in TN
Oct 11, 2021
I hope not, but this result could say as much (or more) about Joe Lee than about Barraclough. It seems unlikely the PSU staff would allow a wrestle-off unless both guys were okay/healthy, so I doubt Lee is limited physically. And I don't know whether Lee's better weight is 157 or 165, and have no clue about his mental state. But I do know that, at least to date, Joe Lee has been much over-hyped on this message board.

I tend to doubt Joe is in wrestleoffs with any significant injury.

I could definitely see him needing a month or two as opposed to weeks to get acclimated to 'competing' down a weight. For some a cut is a huge deal. Berge wasn't the best version of himself all year down a weight.

I'll remain optimistic that the Claw jumped levels!

nerfstate

Oct 11, 2021
Just spent some time looking at Joe's Wrestlestat Page. He has had good wins and, shall we say perplexing losses since his first year here. I'm sure his aggressive attacking style is something the coaches like in him, and I think he can keep that, but clean some things up, and go on a post season run.

I'm just glad to hear Barraclaugh is doing well, and we'll get a chance hopefully to see him in a few duals too. Maybe he has jumped levels.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021

The kid has a super high IQ. He's a sponge. He believes in himself. And he has a motor that won't quit. He'll win a bunch of matches in the 3rd period.

"The kid has a super high IQ. He's a sponge. He believes in himself. And he has a motor that won't quit. He'll win a bunch of matches in the 3rd period."

Bearclaw, right? Definitely not Cage.

psupower

Oct 11, 2021
Bearclaw is a beast. You better be in great shape when you wrestle him. I believe he was a multiple State Champion in Utah. Kid is for real.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
wrestling MC
Master Amattaro
breaking new ground
like Geraldine Ferraro
skills so high
like Kilimanjaro
eats dim sum
chicken feet with taro
other MCs
better luck tomorrow

;) :)

dicemen99

Oct 6, 2021
157 is ugly is Bearclaw is the best we got
I've said for a while, service kids can make good kids look bad and bad kids look good at times.

I saw Hartman for the first time a few years ago at EIWAs and he was impressive as hell. But he's got holes in his game that Barraclough never got to. But he's not the first good wrestler to get worked by that kid on top.

The next time they meet that result could be different - its not HS where a major that indicates dominance that is hard to overcome. Heck, it could have been different with a different choice in the 2nd in this one.

I wouldn't throw in the towel after a bad result against a service kid first time in front of a big crowd at home. Coming off illness.

Some of you that know me may know that in that same EIWA tournament that I first saw Hartman, a rsFR wrestler pretty much handled an Army kid to punch his ticket a couple of months after getting mauled - really mauled - by the same kid in his first match (also off of a little layoff). I was first row (well, on the barricade) to root him on. And he didn't even have the benefit of the PSU room or staff to pull that off.

**** happens against service kids. Unless you're elite. Which is not the expectation for BearClaw at this point.

Last edited:

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
I've said for a while, service kids can make good kids look bad and bad kids look good at times.

I saw Hartman for the first time a few years ago at EIWAs and he was impressive as hell. But he's got holes in his game that Barraclough never got to. But he's not the first good wrestler to get worked by that kid on top.

The next time they meet that result could be different - its not HS where a major that indicates dominance that is hard to overcome. Heck, it could have been different with a different choice in the 2nd in this one.

I wouldn't throw in the towel after a bad result against a service kid first time in front of a big crowd at home. Coming off illness.

Some of you that know me may know that in that same EIWA tournament that I first saw Hartman, a rsFR wrestler pretty much handled an Army kid to punch his ticket a couple of months after getting mauled - really mauled - by the same kid in his first match (also off of a little layoff). I was first row (well, on the barricade) to root him on. And he didn't even have the benefit of the PSU room or staff to pull that off.

**** happens against service kids. Unless you're elite. Which is not the expectation for BearClaw at this point.
Will be interesting to see if/how long this holds at Navy under Kolat.

Reactions: Tryingtodoitright

dicemen99

Oct 6, 2021
Will be interesting to see if/how long this holds at Navy under Kolat.
Agreed, that it will be interesting because of Kolay and I'd like to see him reach some heights that the academies haven't seen in a while. If anyone can do it it is him.

But I also have my doubts. The elite wrestlers are a different cat now in terms of focus and sophistication of training. While the academies certainly have their benefits in terms of training, they also exact demands on their athletes that other programs don't have. Not sure even Kolat can change that, although I might be totally off base.

Reactions: Got GSPs

SonnyAbeFan

Oct 30, 2021
Although I recall Kolat leaving Campbell for Navy, I completely forgot he was coaching last night. Must have been meaningful to him to be making his coaching debut (duals) at Rec Hall. Did he get any special recognition or extra applause last night? I was there when he made his collegiate debut against Iowa and nearly blew the roof off with a pin. I vaguely remember it being like pandemonium. Obviously, his time at Penn State wasn't perfect, but he seems to be a guy who's finally comfortable in his own skin and obviously a good coach.

You need one guy to wrestle for your life at 134/133 (in his prime, of course). Who ya got? Kolat? Tom Brands? Stieber (nah)? Others? I'm going with Brands.

nerfstate

Oct 11, 2021
Although I recall Kolat leaving Campbell for Navy, I completely forgot he was coaching last night. Must have been meaningful to him to be making his coaching debut (duals) at Rec Hall. Did he get any special recognition or extra applause last night? I was there when he made his collegiate debut against Iowa and nearly blew the roof off with a pin. I vaguely remember it being like pandemonium. Obviously, his time at Penn State wasn't perfect, but he seems to be a guy who's finally comfortable in his own skin and obviously a good coach.

You need one guy to wrestle for your life at 134/133 (in his prime, of course). Who ya got? Kolat? Tom Brands? Stieber (nah)? Others? I'm going with Brands.
Army West Point /= US Naval Academy

Kolat is a good choice--I was in Rec when Kolat pinned Zaddick, memory says it's the loudest I've ever heard Rec Hall, but that may be the haze of youth--we've had a few big moments there since then. I may yet choose RBY to save me though...

Reactions: Dogwelder

SonnyAbeFan

Oct 30, 2021
Army West Point /= US Naval Academy

Kolat is a good choice--I was in Rec when Kolat pinned Zaddick, memory says it's the loudest I've ever heard Rec Hall, but that may be the haze of youth--we've had a few big moments there since then. I may yet choose RBY to save me though...
Dammit. It hit me later that we wrestled Army! How the heck did the topic get to Kolat? Oh well....

McScoreley

Oct 31, 2021
According to Franklin, the Football Facilities was basically a hospital ward the past week. Our soccer team evidently forgot how to play soccer today.

I think maybe we should give Barraclough some time to heal from that same illness.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
According to Franklin, the Football Facilities was basically a hospital ward the past week. Our soccer team evidently forgot how to play soccer today.

I think maybe we should give Barraclough some time to heal from that same illness.
Related: