Big Game Issues?

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Sounds like we need a new OC. 🤣 I'm out man, heading to my friends house who hates Franklin and Tomlin. He's a fellow alum and a Steeler fan. I'm in for a night! Happy New Year! ✌️
I’m an alum and Steeler fan also. Steelers are only PA team to win this weekend!! Have a fun, safe night.

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021
Thankfully we now have a playoff so these opt outs should be minimized with teams that make it.

Why? Aren’t players just as likely to be injured in a playoff game as they are a bowl, especially if you play 3 of them as non top-4 teams will? What about their million dollar NFL contract then?

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
tOSU was without starting QB and best player in college football, which is nearly their whole offense. I get why they sucked (Day is a talent horder, no more, no less). Defensive issues hurt us but we still did f*ck all on offense. T Frank said it best - you can’t start trying to win a game in the 4th quarter.

• Wow
Reactions: Midnighter

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Pay Me Parks And Recreation GIF

bleedbluepsu

Oct 29, 2021
The fact someone above counted Cephas as a starter as if would have had an impact is a joke. The scheme they put into place after the first few drives was well coached. Like JF excuse or not (and I agree you CANT start a post game with moving parts as your MO) but we didn’t have the right experience in place off the field to handle the lights that were. That also goes without saying that Drew needs to get better and our WRs are behind for take your pick reason. We can’t live on splitting a TE out wide as our feature threat.

Reactions: MacNit

Mufasa94

Oct 12, 2021
It’s at the time, it would be hard to come up with end of season record, and I think that would be even more misleading,
It would be tough for me to respectfully disagree more. Disregarding the “easiness” effort aspect:

Just mathematically, using the final rankings, leaves 10 teams as top 10 teams. Random points in the season can allow for the possibility of dozens of teams to be called top 10. Completely illogical.

Which is more misleading, saying Bama will have beaten top 10 team Ole Miss or ND beat top 10 USC (5-losses)?

And ND should get credit for beating a top 10 USC while UCLA gets an attaboy for beating a disappointing USC team?

since a coach beating a top 10 team is potentially the very reason they aren’t top 10 anymore, so that shouldn’t mean that’s taken away.
It would only be a contributing reason. If a coach is the only one or two coaches to beat said team, it would still be a top 10 team. Should he luck out by being the first of many to beat an overrated big name team?

Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio

wbcbus

Oct 8, 2021
It would be tough for me to respectfully disagree more. Disregarding the “easiness” effort aspect:

Just mathematically, using the final rankings, leaves 10 teams as top 10 teams. Random points in the season can allow for the possibility of dozens of teams to be called top 10. Completely illogical.

Which is more misleading, saying Bama will have beaten top 10 team Ole Miss or ND beat top 10 USC (5-losses)?

And ND should get credit for beating a top 10 USC while UCLA gets an attaboy for beating a disappointing USC team?

It would only be a contributing reason. If a coach is the only one or two coaches to beat said team, it would still be a top 10 team. Should he luck out by being the first of many to beat an overrated big name team?

Okay, but either way, you think Franklin comes out looking better? All he does is lose to these types of teams, whether at the time or year end.

Reactions: Nits74

Mufasa94

Oct 12, 2021
Okay, but either way, you think Franklin comes out looking better?…
Absolutely not. I never claimed they would. Knowing what actually occurred, I will say expect those numbers to look something like that. Franklin has not had a great PSU team. I'm not suggesting PSU fans should be happy about it.

Okay, but either way, you think Franklin comes out looking better? All he does is lose to these types of teams, whether at the time or year end.
And that is pretty much what fringe top 10 teams do, not what your numbers suggest.
  • Lanning (UO) is 1-4 these past 2 seasons
  • Kiffin (Ole Miss) is 0-2 this year
Btw, I know your post said October, but no way Day and tOSU are close to 75%. I'd guaranteed below .500 after this season. Early season wins over over-ranked ND only go so far.

Dec 15, 2023
Franklin's record against the top 10 is bad for the reasons below:

1) We have solid top 25 talent, not top 10. Half of the top 10, has top 5 talent.
2) The majority of our top 10 losses are to Ohio St and Michigan in which we have to overcome a minimum 7 points from the refs if it is a close game and most have been.
3) Franklin does turtle up in top 10 games much like Day does in top 5 games.

Reactions: OptionBob

PSUFBFAN

Oct 7, 2021
Why was CJF holding charts/cards ? What was he holding? He wasn't calling plays was he?
Yes, Franklin only calls the plays that go for no yardage. Somebody else calls the plays that result in big gains and tds.
Or, does Franklin only call the plays that result in TDs and somebody else calls the plays that result in no gain?

I am so confused.

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
C’mon. Coaching still matters. You have to find ways to mitigate the loss of opt outs. You have to maybe not try to go trick play for trick play with one of the best offensive coaches in the country. Maybe find a way to jam or disrupt their WR and TE who are killing you. Maybe feed the ball more to your RB who is averaging a first down every two carries. Maybe pull your starting QB to see if the backup can provide a spark…..
FSU should fire their coach…he just didn’t do a good enough job of mitigating opt outs.

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
Coaching does matter....but shouldn't the coaches know by game 6 those players who might declare and possibly opt-out? We knew Olu, Chop, and Kalen would be high draft picks. Maybe the staff needs to be proactive and get 2nd string more reps in game. Poor Cam Miller was abused...maybe with more PT he would have played better. Your comment asking why we didn't chip/disrupt WR at th LOS to disrupt timing is spot on.
So we should gear all of our regular season games to get backups ready for a bowl game? Brilliant.

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
tOSU was without starting QB and best player in college football, which is nearly their whole offense. I get why they sucked (Day is a talent horder, no more, no less). Defensive issues hurt us but we still did f*ck all on offense. T Frank said it best - you can’t start trying to win a game in the 4th quarter.
Ole Miss had 540 yards of offense and we had 510…so I guess Ole Miss did f*** all on offense too.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Ole Miss had 540 yards of offense and we had 510…so I guess Ole Miss did f*** all on offense too.

They put up 38 points. Unless total yards is now what wins games, that is what matters. Happy New Year Ludd. Next time try to get all of your responses in one post.

ChandlerPearce

Jan 23, 2022
So we should gear all of our regular season games to get backups ready for a bowl game? Brilliant.

Obviously you need better reading comprehension as my post said by game 6...either way we do rotate many players however a few extra snaps would surely help. Your statement is ridiculous since yes backups need to play whether for a bowl game or next season....but again I said by GAME 6! As for brilliant....guess you do not remember the Iowa game when Clifford went down.

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
They put up 38 points. Unless total yards is now what wins games, that is what matters. Happy New Year Ludd. Next time try to get all of your responses in one post.
We lost that game because our defense was terrible. Had we scored 25 points against Michigan and OSU, we would have won. And our defense clearly wasn’t the same as during the season because of the personnel.

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
Obviously you need better reading comprehension as my post said by game 6...either way we do rotate many players however a few extra snaps would surely help. Your statement is ridiculous since yes backups need to play whether for a bowl game or next season....but again I said by GAME 6! As for brilliant....guess you do not remember the Iowa game when Clifford went down.
We were 6-0 after game six going into a match up with OSU…that’s when we should start playing backups to get ready for a bowl game?

Charlie1978

Dec 8, 2022
It starts with Jimmy and Joe’s and then gets a heaping helping of X and O’s on top of it. You cant compete when you have a glaring weakness against the likes of Michigan and Ohio State.

The annual weakness has been the OL so that you can’t reliably get any established running threat. Post Dotson, you now have not had a wideout that other teams must concern themselves with. What has happened with that position? For the life of me, I couldn’t understand how you didn’t establish some game plan that didnt better utilize Singleton more in space and make him a threat.

You finally got a big talent 5* QB and you’ve ruined him. How you now recruit that position given how you’ve failed with #15 is something that the coaching staff will have to figure out. Thats X and O’s.

I think it’s safe to say that I’ve never looked at the program with more doubt than now.
Yep MrTailgate, same. This is the first time in my multi decade experience as a Lions fan where I am worried. and it is not the kids/players. In his ten years as coach, I can think of only the Temple game where I felt this worried. Our assistant coaches are not only not elite, none are ready to be head coaches and in some cases even to be promoted to Coordinator. Both Traut and Barnes had good years but I am sorry my expectations are that 4* WRs, TE* and cornerbacks should be able to be coached up. When Louis Riddick who watched us for the first time can sit and see that we could not or would not through outside the hash marks, or run simple cross patterns to that level of talent, then yes its coaching. Drew Allar has the best arm talent with perhaps the exception of Tony Sacca in PSU QB history (all do respect to Hack who also did). He is a gold mine for a coach to make something of himself by coaching that kid to win for us. he can do it.

Charlie1978

Dec 8, 2022
Because we are simply not good enough. Other than OSU and Michigan, the Big Ten has been comprised of consistently weak teams which gets us to 10 wins. If the Utah QB did not get hurt last year, I don’t think we would have won that game either.
Michigan was nothing more than dehydrated dog **** after the covid season. they licked their wounds, made a ride or die contrarian move to play Bo ball, found a gem in Moore and lived with the results. The question is can we do the same?

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
Michigan was nothing more than dehydrated dog **** after the covid season. they licked their wounds, made a ride or die contrarian move to play Bo ball, found a gem in Moore and lived with the results. The question is can we do the same?
absent the cheating part?

Reactions: MacNit

Charlie1978

Dec 8, 2022
Sure, but top coaches don't, at least not as much as Franklin. I posted this in late October, haven't updated:

Okay, current top 10 coaches against other top 10 teams:

Kalen DeBoer - 100% (granted, only 2-0, but he is also 7-1 against ranked teams generally)
Brent Venables - 100% (only 1-0, also 3-1 against ranked teams generally)
Ryan Day - 75%
Nick Saban - 66%
Kirby Smart - 66%
Dan Lanning - 50% (only 2-2, also 4-4 against all ranked opponents)
Mike Norvell - 40%
Steve Sarkisian - 32%
Jim Harbaugh - 30%
James Franklin - 19%

Sure, most coaches will struggle against top 10 teams if they aren't a top 10 team theirself. But if you're a top 10 team as PSU has been/should be, then you should expect more than 19% (lower now, another loss added for UM, he dodged another with Ole Miss at 11).
Great post. thanks. After watching the team and him this year, I attribute much of the recent futility to his lack of ability to make adjustments during the game. He is poor at "sudden change" from his peer across the field despite being exceptional at instilling a tough sudden change mentality in our players.

Charlie1978

Dec 8, 2022
It’s even worse actually. When was the last time that your gut feeling really had us beating them. Not hoping, but actually believing? When 26 was here?
Ohio State in 2017, 2108, 2022 and 2023, Michigan all years except 2016 when we got hosed by the refs. O$U and Meatchicken is the commode looking up at my @$$ waiting for the turd to drop. that is their life.

kgilbert78

Oct 25, 2021
Something I wrote on our Crew Soccer (⭐⭐⭐) board.

The transfer portal opening when it does as well as opting out has made a joke of the bowl games. I can understand players not wanting to get hurt, especially in the old days. But some of these guys are making millions from NIL--and then not finishing what they got paid for. That I have an issue with. My last two weeks at work (I just retired) I was pretty much as productive as I was the rest of the year. However, I was careful about the work I selected, so as not to leave someone else to clean up an issue, excepting my last day, on which we only had to turn in our gear and badges.

At least some of the kids got some good experience for my team--though OTOH I'm not sure why F$U bothered to play in their game.

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021
3. We played without 6 of our top players all game, 3 of which will be picked in the first 2 rounds of the draft, so coaching has nearly no significance in this game. It's incredible we were only down by 3 at the half, then Jacobs, Wallace and Theo sat. Carter got taken out by a cheap play and never recovered his speed. If our roster that played in Detroit was on the field yesterday, Ol Miss would have been demolished.

Thankfully we now have a playoff so these opt outs should be minimized with teams that make it.
But we need to make the playoffs. That looks doubtful for next year.

Reactions: kgilbert78

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
So what are people's opinions for why we don't play well against top 10 teams? I believe our record in these games makes it clear that we have trouble winning these games.
Penn State football reminds me of a "B Movie". It is often entertaining, but not likely to be taken seriously or to qualify for any major awards.

Reactions: Alphalion75

Latest posts