CBS predicts 4-8 season

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Can't argue against it. It wouldn't be shocking if we ended up with 5 or 6 wins, but there's not a strong argument against 4-8. There are hopeful arguments but no strong ones.

Reactions: Patriot321

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
I guess they just don't count on any upsets. I think we grab one, but wonder if we can pull 2.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I guess they just don't count on any upsets. I think we grab one, but wonder if we can pull 2.

Not a stretch to think we beat one of the 8 teams we won't be favored against, with UK being the most likely culprit. I agree, though, not sure where #2 comes from.

Reactions: Lurker123

LazyIslander

Joined Aug 2, 2015
Jan 18, 2022
Not a stretch to think we beat one of the 8 teams we won't be favored against, with UK being the most likely culprit. I agree, though, not sure where #2 comes from.
...assuming no upset losses against the 4 underdogs also

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
...assuming no upset losses against the 4 underdogs also

True. Our 4 cream puff games are as close to gimmes as you can get, but you just never know. As daunting as our conference schedule is, these games are mostly laughable. Akron, ODU and Vandy went a combined 6-29 last year. ODU was respectable, though, at 6-7 and played close with Wake, who is about comparable to us.

If we were to lose any one of these games, Beamer should be fired on the sideline.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Can't argue against it. It wouldn't be shocking if we ended up with 5 or 6 wins, but there's not a strong argument against 4-8. There are hopeful arguments but no strong ones.
ESPN has us going 6-6. You know what I have us going (7-5). As the late great Gamecock Alex Hawkins would say: that's my story and, I'm sticking to it.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
UK (ON THE ROAD), to me, is the game of the year. It's early. If we win, we will surprise people the rest of the year.

We have to beat UK for any shot at a bowl game. Any path to more than 4 wins goes through UK. If we lose that game, the rest of the season is academic. We will be guaranteed of no better than 4-8.

Some our fans keep mentioning Mizzou as a possible upset win as well, but I'm not sure why. They absolutely own us right now.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
If we were to lose any one of these games, Beamer should be fired on the sideline.
:ROFLMAO: I'm with you 18. If he is not, someone should put a "For Sale" sign in his yard so a message could be delivered (that's not meant to do any physical damage to his yard; just mental damage to Beamer's psyche).

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
We have to beat UK for any shot at a bowl game. Any path to more than 4 wins goes through UK. If we lose that game, the rest of the season is academic. We will be guaranteed of no better than 4-8.

Some our fans keep mentioning Mizzou as a possible upset win as well, but I'm not sure why. They absolutely own us right now.
Same here, I am failing to find the reasoning behind this line of thought. Mizzou was ranked #8 at the end of 2023, and as high as #7 preseason. If the reasoning it's because the game is at home, I'm going to need much more than that to be convinced.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Same here, I am failing to find the reasoning behind this line of thought. Mizzou was ranked #8 at the end of 2023, and as high as #7 preseason. If the reasoning it's because the game is at home, I'm going to need much more than that to be convinced.

Once you get past UK, it takes some mental gymnastics to see a 6th win.

The only reason to believe we could beat LSU, Ole Miss, A&M or Missouri is because they are home games. Personnel-wise, we are outmatched. Some of our fans also assume one or more these teams will have a down year.

Bama and OU just ain't happening.

The only reason to believe we would beat Clemson is because we won there 2 years ago.

Mar 8, 2023
I think the team will actually be more competitive this year but maybe win only 4-5 games. I mean, they should win the non-conference games vs. smaller schools and they should beat Vanderbilt. The last decade, Kentucky is basically a 50-50 game and everything else, USC would be an under dog. Maybe they surprise someone and also beat UK to get to 6, but until we know more about what we have, I can't see much better than that.

Patriot321

Jan 29, 2022
I've seen a few on this site and elsewhere still going with 8 - 10 wins. Thankfully not as many as last year though. I don't follow it much at all anymore, but from the little I've seen and heard, we are still battling for 3*s and get excited over stealing a 3* from a lowly ACC program. Not saying some 3*s don't turn into sensational players, but it's rare. We are not landing the top players in the country, or in the SEC for that matter, an occasional blip perhaps, and I think we have come to the realization, at least us older guys, that we will forever be mired in the mid to lower tier in SEC football. Some are ok with that because WooHoo, we won the NC in WBB! I couldn't care less abt WBB, neither can most of the country, football is still king for those that actually care at all anymore about college sports.

Reactions: Backyard Archer

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I've seen a few on this site and elsewhere still going with 8 - 10 wins. Thankfully not as many as last year though. I don't follow it much at all anymore, but from the little I've seen and heard, we are still battling for 3*s and get excited over stealing a 3* from a lowly ACC program. Not saying some 3*s don't turn into sensational players, but it's rare. We are not landing the top players in the country, or in the SEC for that matter, an occasional blip perhaps, and I think we have come to the realization, at least us older guys, that we will forever be mired in the mid to lower tier in SEC football. Some are ok with that because WooHoo, we won the NC in WBB! I couldn't care less abt WBB, neither can most of the country, football is still king for those that actually care at all anymore about college sports.
For us to get 8 wins would mean getting 4 wins from: UK, Mizzou, Ole Miss, A&M, LSU, Bama, OU and Clemson.

Let's call UK a win. Where in the other 7 games do fans see us getting 3 wins?

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
8-10 wins? o_O And I thought I was optimistic

PrestonyteParrot

May 28, 2024
For us to get 8 wins would mean getting 4 wins from: UK, Mizzou, Ole Miss, A&M, LSU, Bama, OU and Clemson.

Let's call UK a win. Where in the other 7 games do fans see us getting 3 wins?
A&M, Clemson and Bama (going with the new coach letdown on that one)

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
If I had to predict today I'd go with 6 wins. But more than that seems possible, just because there's no way the other 6 opponents are all as strong as they're predicted to be and it's not out of the realm of possibility we end up better than expected. I believe 8 of our opponents are ranked in too early polls...there's no way that actually is how the season ends up.

We'll beat ODU, Akron, Vanderbilt, and Wofford.

I'd predict a win over Kentucky at this point as well.

Beating LSU wouldn't be shocking. They lost way too much from last year's team, and we get them in Williams-Brice early in the season.

Ole Miss, Alabama, Oklahoma seem unwinnable.

Texas A&M is an interesting game. Getting them at home, in the first season under a new staff, makes that game less daunting.

Missouri, also at home, doesn't seem impossible either. I have a hard time seeing them do what they did last year again, so we'll see.

Clemson on the road is challenging, but we won there in 2022. Sellers at that point will be experienced and battle tested from some really tough conference venues.

So I could see why you'd talk yourself into this season not being as bad as what originally would be expected. I'm not at the point yet to be that optimistic, but I don't think it's irrational to predict 7 or maybe even 8 wins if things really go our way. Now if you go into this season expecting that, you're likely going to be really disappointed.

Maccmaine12

Joined Oct 19, 2020
Jan 31, 2022
We had a 10 win type roster in 2022 but was predicted to win 6 and only won 8. I believe our roster is better than the predicted total wins. It’s no team on our schedule I would go in the game day thinking we won’t have a chance. These teams aren’t head and shoulders better than us. Take to account the injuries aspect as well. I see 7 or more wins. Just my opinion.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
We had a 10 win type roster in 2022 but was predicted to win 6 and only won 8. I believe our roster is better than the predicted total wins. It’s no team on our schedule I would go in the game day thinking we won’t have a chance. These teams aren’t head and shoulders better than us. Take to account the injuries aspect as well. I see 7 or more wins. Just my opinion.
This must be sarcasm

Reactions: Lurker123

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
I'm sure you can understand the difference between a fan and a player.
Nah…..the reason is teams are made up of players. My attitude, and I hope the teams attitude, is we will be 12-0. If we lose a game, then I hope their attitude is we’re going 11 and one.

mickray

May 20, 2023
Nah…..the reason is teams are made up of players. My attitude, and I hope the teams attitude, is we will be 12-0. If we lose a game, then I hope their attitude is we’re going 11 and one.
That's the attitude of the walk-ons. The 5 stars are concerned with pro-day.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022

This reminds me. We should ask the mods for a sticky thread with season predictions. It'd be interesting to go back and read as the season goes on, and cut down on revisionist history.

Tidalcock

Joined Aug 29, 2002
Jan 20, 2022
If true, that’s terribly disappointing.

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login