Connor Shaw leaving...

capngamecock

Joined Apr 11, 2019
Jan 26, 2022
Why can we never find someone to take and keep this "Player Development" role? It's a revolving door. Doesn't make any sense to me. Seems like a pretty good gig.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky

bayrooster

Jan 21, 2022
Why can we never find someone to take and keep this "Player Development" role? It's a revolving door. Doesn't make any sense to me. Seems like a pretty good gig.
A good gig if you have any influence over actual player development -- not sure how much of an impact he was able to make while here. Anyone else have insight into what his role entailed?

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
To be fair, I have no clue what turnover is like at other programs for this kind of position. It's definitely not a career job.

I don't know what Connor wants. He was hired at Furman and quit after about 6 months. Then he went to work for Colonial Life for 5 months before coming here in player development. He got a brief stint in an on-field role after Muschamp was canned, but he was quoted as saying he didn't have an interest at the time in staying in an on-field role. Now he's leaving altogether.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
Dylan Thompson had the player development job for awhile with the Detroit Lions. He has since moved on to the Houston Texans. He would be great but I doubt we could afford him.

SC95

Joined Mar 31, 2008
Jan 31, 2022
To be fair, I have no clue what turnover is like at other programs for this kind of position. It's definitely not a career job.

I don't know what Connor wants. He was hired at Furman and quit after about 6 months. Then he went to work for Colonial Life for 5 months before coming here in player development. He got a brief stint in an on-field role after Muschamp was canned, but he was quoted as saying he didn't have an interest at the time in staying in an on-field role. Now he's leaving altogether.
You don't know what Connor wants? I like him, but he doesn't know what he wants either. Connor was a great Gamecock, but maybe he isn't a good fit for the player development role.

Go Gamecocks

Jan 24, 2022
You don't know what Connor wants? I like him, but he doesn't know what he wants either. Connor was a great Gamecock, but maybe he isn't a good fit for the player development role.
Dunno....but he got mouths to feed. :oops:

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022

Well, now we know he obviously doesn't want to be in football at all as he's heading back to the private sector. If he changes his mind in 6 months and takes a job with another program, then I might have questions about what went on here.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
Well, now we know he obviously doesn't want to be in football at all as he's heading back to the private sector. If he changes his mind in 6 months and takes a job with another program, then I might have questions about what went on here.
But maybe the questions ought to be about him.

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

Rhizzlebop

Jan 23, 2022
I thought I had heard that Connor was going sort of with Kimrey for whatever he was leaving for. is that completely false?

Reactions: cockrock1

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I thought I had heard that Connor was going sort of with Kimrey for whatever he was leaving for. is that completely false?

Connor is heading the private sector and staying in Columbia, Kimrey is going to be head coach at the Baylor School in Chattanooga, Tn.

Coq.de.Combat

Joined May 21, 2012
Jan 19, 2022
Some of you may realize, some may not, it is not uncommon for people 30 and under to change jobs like changing clothes. Many of us who hire people age thirty and under have almost taken it for granted that we will have them for a year or two at most. Those millennials who stay four years or longer are the exception and while there are a few, there are very few.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
Some of you may realize, some may not, it is not uncommon for people 30 and under to change jobs like changing clothes. Many of us who hire people age thirty and under have almost taken it for granted that we will have them for a year or two at most. Those millennials who stay four years or longer are the exception and while there are a few, there are very few.
That's a good point. Job mobility is far more prevalent now than it used to be. I worked my last job for over 37 years.