Feel bad for the wrestlers:

PopSheetz

Oct 12, 2021

There is a lot of misinformation and comments being made about all this. I’m not real close, I would consider to be at arm’s length, but personally know many on both sides of this situation. People not knowledgeable should not make assumptions or comments about the culture of the FH program or community. There was, is, and will be a lot of misconceptions about PSU. Remember that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rrv68

JA1339

Oct 11, 2021

There is a lot of misinformation and comments being made about all this. I’m not real close, I would consider to be at arm’s length, but personally know many on both sides of this situation. People not knowledgeable should not make assumptions or comments about the culture of the FH program or community. There was, is, and will be a lot of misconceptions about PSU. Romberg that.
How do misconceptions about PSU fit into this story?

Reactions: Hlstone

Rhino80

Oct 30, 2021
Well if Zain had to sit out a year when his parents moved to Benton (Still live there by the way), how can people move from all over the country/state. They should be in the same boat as Sem and Blair etc. Individually it doesn't bother me but when it comes to team championships, how does a team like Benton or Muncy compete with them and NDGP.

Reactions: Roaddog55

PopSheetz

Oct 12, 2021
I agree 100% with the reference to NDGP. BECA was the same. Go AAA or Preps. Bringing kids from numerous school districts in Cambria, Blair, Somerset, and Indiana counties as well as wrestlers from out of state is not the same as a team of kids from Glendale, Mt. Union, or Tussey Mountain. No one is getting recruited there to wrestle but all three schools have produced very good teams without transfers. The PIAA has rules in place to protect community schools. If you don’t like those rules, wrestle Sem, Blair, and Malvern.

Reactions: dbldoofus

PopSheetz

Oct 12, 2021
Beca, Beca Jr, Beca Boalsburg, and Beca Johnstown should all be National Preps. That's an easy question.

The hard question is: what about a public school that pulls in multiple out-of-state transfers like Waynesburg?
The private schools stick out more then the public schools when it comes to transfers. Waynesburg, Franklin Regional, Seneca Valley, and Chestnut Ridge are questionable in the west for wrestling transfers. Football and basketball have to many schools to list.

People will state that people don’t like competition but I look at as kids that grow up together and compete together. High school sports aren’t the same as college. It should be about community. That is what the PIAA rules are attempting to protect,

Reactions: Roaddog55

PAgeologist

Oct 19, 2021

There is a lot of misinformation and comments being made about all this. I’m not real close, I would consider to be at arm’s length, but personally know many on both sides of this situation. People not knowledgeable should not make assumptions or comments about the culture of the FH program or community. There was, is, and will be a lot of misconceptions about PSU. Remember that.
Pretty much this. I just talked to two people somewhat close to this. We're being fed a bunch of BS.

Reactions: Rrv68 and PopSheetz

PAgeologist

Oct 19, 2021
The private schools stick out more then the public schools when it comes to transfers. Waynesburg, Franklin Regional, Seneca Valley, and Chestnut Ridge are questionable in the west for wrestling transfers. Football and basketball have to many schools to list.

People will state that people don’t like competition but I look at as kids that grow up together and compete together. High school sports aren’t the same as college. It should be about community. That is what the PIAA rules are attempting to protect,
I don't know about the other schools you listed, but Ridge got in questionable transfers?

Oct 7, 2021
Pretty much this. I just talked to two people somewhat close to this. We're being fed a bunch of BS.
I'm trying not to have an opinion about this at all. I've always tried to keep the attitude that if I wasnt there to witness what went on then keep my mouth shut about it. I was told some things about it from someone within the FH program and was convinced. Then a couple months later talked to someone within the Bassett circle and that pretty much cemented my thinking....that is.. keep your mouth shut jtown because you werent there. Lol

Folkstylefan

Oct 13, 2021
School districts / schools have a defined geographical area, with some dustricts having multiple schools. If the kids live in that area they go to that school. There are many private schools that are in or close to these schools districts. Catholic schools have for some reason given a pass from PUAA, probably money received. Either let all schools in with no rules for transfer or classify any school that is private prep.

Reactions: dbldoofus

McPat

Oct 31, 2021
You can move so that your children can attend a better school for its academics, for its band program, for its theatre program, for its other superior non-sports extra-curricular clubs, but not sports. Sometimes that seems awfully unfair.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
A couple points to remember:
1. This was a D6 ruling, will be appealed to PIAA
2. McCort is a repeat offender under multiple coaches within the past 5 yrs. D6 likely viewed this as an institutional issue.
3. D6 likely views Bassett's hiring as a means of facilitating mass transfers, again an institutional issue.

PAgeologist

Oct 19, 2021
I'm trying not to have an opinion about this at all. I've always tried to keep the attitude that if I wasnt there to witness what went on then keep my mouth shut about it. I was told some things about it from someone within the FH program and was convinced. Then a couple months later talked to someone within the Bassett circle and that pretty much cemented my thinking....that is.. keep your mouth shut jtown because you werent there. Lol
I got family that went there and still go there. In summary, the racial stuff was not a huge deal. Especially since Strayer is still there. The moving plan was already in action before that. Bill has nobody to blame but himself for this mess. Several other players in this mess are disgusting excuses for human beings.

CropDuster507

Oct 31, 2021
The obsession with the “dual” and “training partners” will kill a sector of our sport. When the talent is concentrated for a variety of reasons, the outliers does off.

im happy they can do what they do, but I’m not sure this fits with the purpose or philosophy behind school-based athletics. If you wanna compete on an Allstar dual team, create an allstar league… join national preps.

but if any other coach were doing this, most would go “wtf is that legal?” And the answer is “No”, as of now, within the high school athletic governing body. I have nothing but respect for what those kids do, but it ain’t a freaking school-based team lol. And on top of that, they’re posting graphics with kids moving over and this and that. Have your fun, but it’s not school-based. We’d sing a different tune if it wasn’t a world champ and his boys (who by all accounts have glowing character… all the kids do, I assume). I mean absolutely nothing personal, and I understand that the previous situation impacts what has happened. I just don’t see them as a school-based team.

everyone should be given choice and freedoms, but there’s lots of places to compete. A nationwide allstar team doesn’t belong in school-based sports. Different purposes… and I’ve coached both sides.

PAgeologist

Oct 19, 2021
Yeah...never heard any complaints about Ridge. I live up on top of the "mountain" so maybe we arent hearing about those things from dahn there...lol
I went there but live in Lilly now. My sister is involved with the CR school band but not really the athletics and never mentioned anything. My dad hasn't heard anything either. Looking at the roster, it's a lot of the same last names as when I went there. Who knows.

Reactions: johnstownsteel

PopSheetz

Oct 12, 2021
I went there but live in Lilly now. My sister is involved with the CR school band but not really the athletics and never mentioned anything. My dad hasn't heard anything either. Looking at the roster, it's a lot of the same last names as when I went there. Who knows.
Yes, many of the same names that have been part of the CR community. However, there are brothers who lived in the Bedord SD and dad drove them to CR all through JH and early varsity years. Family may have moved now. A family with multiple wrestlers moved from a Blair County SD to CR and dad openly stated “it was to be part of the CR wrestling program.” Kids are still part of the CR program. I am not stating that CR recruited these kids but there the participation is definitely questionable.

Schools like Southern Columbia and the Crestwood SD should have a lot more over site by the PIAA.

dicemen99

Oct 6, 2021
The obsession with the “dual” and “training partners” will kill a sector of our sport. When the talent is concentrated for a variety of reasons, the outliers does off.

im happy they can do what they do, but I’m not sure this fits with the purpose or philosophy behind school-based athletics. If you wanna compete on an Allstar dual team, create an allstar league… join national preps.

but if any other coach were doing this, most would go “wtf is that legal?” And the answer is “No”, as of now, within the high school athletic governing body. I have nothing but respect for what those kids do, but it ain’t a freaking school-based team lol. And on top of that, they’re posting graphics with kids moving over and this and that. Have your fun, but it’s not school-based. We’d sing a different tune if it wasn’t a world champ and his boys (who by all accounts have glowing character… all the kids do, I assume). I mean absolutely nothing personal, and I understand that the previous situation impacts what has happened. I just don’t see them as a school-based team.

everyone should be given choice and freedoms, but there’s lots of places to compete. A nationwide allstar team doesn’t belong in school-based sports. Different purposes… and I’ve coached both sides.
I agree with the ethos of this, but I would offer this caveat. Transfers ARE within the rules now. Up until the start of 10th grade for all intents and purposes. Most of the McCort wrestlers that are affected by this will have been well within their rights to transfer to McCort even under the old rules due to the Natural Break provision. Except for:

• Erik Gibson - who has already sat out his imposed penalty
  • The unnamed sophomore transfer

Unless these kids are breaking the rules in some other way than transferring to McCort and meet residency requirements - all but two haven't broken any rules. And one has already served his "sentence." So in reality, the kids are getting screwed by a heavy-handed crackdown by D6. Coach and administrators should take the fall IMO. If you keep imposing penalties on the coaches and administrators for recruiting violations - like a 20 to 36-month suspension which is what the kids got - it will stop. The one coach that got suspended will serve his suspension before his kid even enters HS. Not that I know anything or am saying he is guilty of recruiting. He may not be. But the penalties seem a## backwards if they are actually being imposed for what is stated in the article.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021
Yeah...never heard any complaints about Ridge. I live up on top of the "mountain" so maybe we arent hearing about those things from dahn there...lol
I'm surprised Chestnut Ridge is listed amongst the questionable programs. I grew up in a neighboring district, NBC, and never heard of this type activity in their program. I have to wonder if there are not some additional axes to grind being exposed here. Any thoughts from those closer to these programs? I live out of state and can't keep up with all the local scuttlebutt and rumors.

Oct 7, 2021
A friend and teammate from my hs days is an assistant there now. I'd be shocked if they were recruiting.

Oct 7, 2021
I agree with the ethos of this, but I would offer this caveat. Transfers ARE within the rules now. Up until the start of 10th grade for all intents and purposes. Most of the McCort wrestlers that are affected by this will have been well within their rights to transfer to McCort even under the old rules due to the Natural Break provision. Except for:

Unless these kids are breaking the rules in some other way than transferring to McCort and meet residency requirements - all but two haven't broken any rules. And one has already served his "sentence." So in reality, the kids are getting screwed by a heavy-handed crackdown by D6. Coach and administrators should take the fall IMO. If you keep imposing penalties on the coaches and administrators for recruiting violations - like a 20 to 36-month suspension which is what the kids got - it will stop. The one coach that got suspended will serve his suspension before his kid even enters HS. Not that I know anything or am saying he is guilty of recruiting. He may not be. But the penalties seem a## backwards if they are actually being imposed for what is stated in the article.
Great post!

PAgeologist

Oct 19, 2021
A friend and teammate from my hs days is an assistant there now. I'd be shocked if they were recruiting.
Pretty much my thoughts as well. The current AD was a teacher of mine. I really have a hard time thinking he would tolerate even a hint of that. He was a good teacher, but didn't tolerate any nonsense.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
"Unnamed sophomore transfer": yes, that's what the article said, and LOL. I'll go ahead and name him: Mason GIbson.

Dead-on about this being back-asswards. But the coaching ban at any length is also a sham -- how is D6 going to prevent Bassett from conducting the real practices at his club?

dicemen99

Oct 6, 2021
"Unnamed sophomore transfer": yes, that's what the article said, and LOL. I'll go ahead and name him: Mason GIbson.

Dead-on about this being back-asswards. But the coaching ban at any length is also a sham -- how is D6 going to prevent Bassett from conducting the real practices at his club?
I took that as a different transfer - Gibson was at McCort last year.

There is no provision in the current PIAA rulebook for ruling the younger Gibson's ineligible because of his transfer - going into 9th grade that transfer qualifies under the natural provision and is assumed legal unless we go back to the nefarious "athletic intent" which the PIAA states in its own guidelines is very difficult to prove - thus the 10th-grade transfer rule which came into effect last year IIRC.

Anything regarding Mason Gibson would either sit squarely on recruiting - in which case the punishment should be aimed squarely at coach/administrator - or residency - which would be a joke considering what goes on in other parts of the state.

You're right. IMO the athlete ban is a direct attempt to get at the coach because they are worried that he will attempt to circumvent the punishment levied at him. I understand the sentiment, but that doesn't make it the correct or legal thing to do. A coaching ban - which includes a ban from official HS practices/events - probably does hit home if it's for a significant amount of time - not a year when your kid is not even participating.

CropDuster507

Oct 31, 2021

I would also offer that I think anything over a year out of Post-season is excessive. If they sit a post-season? Good enough.

I coach in the club space. I get it. I even applaud it… but if we allow HS to become club, we will lose an entry point, in my opinion. School-based sports are great because outside of homeschooling, you meet the greatest amount of young athletes with financial support. I’m just saying they should be different, but that’s only my opinion, too.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
I took that as a different transfer - Gibson was at McCort last year.

There is no provision in the current PIAA rulebook for ruling the younger Gibson's ineligible because of his transfer - going into 9th grade that transfer qualifies under the natural provision and is assumed legal unless we go back to the nefarious "athletic intent" which the PIAA states in its own guidelines is very difficult to prove - thus the 10th-grade transfer rule which came into effect last year IIRC.

Anything regarding Mason Gibson would either sit squarely on recruiting - in which case the punishment should be aimed squarely at coach/administrator - or residency - which would be a joke considering what goes on in other parts of the state.

You're right. IMO the athlete ban is a direct attempt to get at the coach because they are worried that he will attempt to circumvent the punishment levied at him. I understand the sentiment, but that doesn't make it the correct or legal thing to do. A coaching ban - which includes a ban from official HS practices/events - probably does hit home if it's for a significant amount of time - not a year when your kid is not even participating.
Good catch on it not being Gibson -- I should've noticed that too. Though it can't be too difficult to ID the soph transfer, given the details in that article. (Apparently too hard for me.)

Regarding the coaching ban. Agree completely. I suspect that the length of it is D6 trying to avoid litigation if the suspension caused McCort to fire Bassett, such as what happened with the Palisades coach who forfeited every match to Beca a few years ago. PIAA: we have principles, and if you don't like them, we have other principles.

helixville

Oct 12, 2021
McCort has been asking for this for years. Not the first time the wrestling program faced sanctions from District 6. Their hockey team has faced similar recruiting accusations recently. Hockey isn't governed by PIAA but has its own sanctioning body that reprimanded McCort.

PopSheetz

Oct 12, 2021
I would also offer that I think anything over a year out of Post-season is excessive. If they sit a post-season? Good enough.

I coach in the club space. I get it. I even applaud it… but if we allow HS to become club, we will lose an entry point, in my opinion. School-based sports are great because outside of homeschooling, you meet the greatest amount of young athletes with financial support. I’m just saying they should be different, but that’s only my opinion, too.
This decision is a step in keeping clubs from becoming high school sports.

Reactions: Lumps Pajamas