Guess the lineup vs. OSU

dicemen99

Oct 6, 2021
All right, let's get some discussion going on over here to get the jump on Nov 1.

Who is taking the mat for the B&W against OSU? All 10 weights. Not the nationals lineup, opening dual only.

Last edited:

nerfstate

Oct 11, 2021
I'll bite:
  • Campbell - the rumor has it he may be the guy, I guess I'll go with the rumor. Hope to see Steen in opens early and often though.
  • 🏆
  • 🏆
  • Barraclough - buys time to decide between SVN and Bartlett maybe? Or maybe he's the man this year.
  • Joe Lee - again, offseason rumors point Joe down a weight, and I'm hopeful he'll have enough horsepower at this weight to win some/most of those big moves he went for last year.
  • Matt Lee - The fresh rumor is another Lee bro here. I like that idea for now, but w/ Facundo, I hope he gets some good action early.
  • 🏆
  • 🏆
  • Beard - only contrarian take I have at this point. I think Beard starts and holds the spot--sorry Max.
  • DGK

Oct 11, 2021
I'll bite:
  • Campbell - the rumor has it he may be the guy, I guess I'll go with the rumor. Hope to see Steen in opens early and often though.
  • 🏆
  • 🏆
  • Barraclough - buys time to decide between SVN and Bartlett maybe? Or maybe he's the man this year.
  • Joe Lee - again, offseason rumors point Joe down a weight, and I'm hopeful he'll have enough horsepower at this weight to win some/most of those big moves he went for last year.
  • Matt Lee - The fresh rumor is another Lee bro here. I like that idea for now, but w/ Facundo, I hope he gets some good action early.
  • 🏆
  • 🏆
  • Beard - only contrarian take I have at this point. I think Beard starts and holds the spot--sorry Max.
  • DGK
I'm just gonna go on record here that I would be a nervous wreck at every match if I was Mr. Lee. I don't care how good they are.

dicemen99

Oct 6, 2021
Since we have two duals opening day and we're kinda home, I think we wrestle different guys in each dual at multiple weights.

125 - Campbell/Shunk - I think we'll see them both get a match opening Saturday
133 - Evans/Meredith - same, but we could also see Meredith at 125
141 - Nick Lee
149 - Bearclaw
157 - Joe Lee
165 - Manville/Matt Lee -
174 - Starocci
184 - Brooks
197 - Dean/Beard
285 - Kerk

Kind of hedged my bets there;)

Reactions: Antaeus

nerfstate

Oct 11, 2021
I figured I'd park this totally solid, but I'm sure frustrating for you all tidbit here:

Received some local State College news today about Nick S that strongly points to his eventual arrival in the lineup this year. I'm going to have to leave it at that. I too tend to be a "believe when seen" kind of guy, FWIW. Take it or leave it.

Hockeygod11

Oct 23, 2021
I figured I'd park this totally solid, but I'm sure frustrating for you all tidbit here:

Received some local State College news today about Nick S that strongly points to his eventual arrival in the lineup this year. I'm going to have to leave it at that. I too tend to be a "believe when seen" kind of guy, FWIW. Take it or leave it.
Are you saying your info DOES suggest he ends up at PSU? if so.. no frustration on my part.. LOL..

Goosfraba

Oct 29, 2021
With the news that Drew Hildebrandt hit the transfer portal today count me in the group that says it is he, who we land.

For sure if Nick has real problems tied to pre-NIL money, you can be readily assured PSU compliance guys will rule on the conservative side of any legitimately dicey issue.

Sunkist $ aside, if he and Cael came to an understanding, I don't see him flaunting trips all over the country. Either we didn't give him a warm and fuzzy (rumors of having to pay back money), or the just plain and simple, Nick is seeking the highest bidder scholy + NIL. I don't think Cael wants to play that game, he wants Nick to want to be here to beat Spencer and win a team title and if that isn't enough motivation it's time to move on.

I think it is more likely Cael told Drew some time ago, take a break on the sidelines while he figures out the Suriano thing. I suspect it was figured out this week.

No conspiracy theorist here, I am just trying to read the tea leaves. The above seems plausible.

jack66

Oct 31, 2021
Post-zoom call

This weekend (assuming no one who wrestled last weekend will wrestle this weekend)

125 - Shunk/Campbell ... I think we'll see both this weekend
133 - RBY ... sounds like he's ready to go
141 - Nick
149 - Bartlett
157 - Joe Lee/Barraclough ... Cael said it was a competitive weight, we might see both
165 - Matt Lee/Manville/Dunbar - we could see 2 of the 3
174 - Star
184 - Brooks
197 - Dean/Beard ... I think we see a Cassar/Rasheed type rotation most of the year.
285 - Kerk

I suspect Cael will play with the line-up quite a bit through the 1st half of the season.

Thoughts?

NittanyChris

Oct 12, 2021
Post-zoom call

This weekend (assuming no one who wrestled last weekend will wrestle this weekend)

141 - Nick
149 - Bartlett
157 - Joe Lee/Barraclough ... Cael said it was a competitive weight, we might see both
174 - Star
184 - Brooks
197 - Dean/Beard ... I think we see a Cassar/Rasheed type rotation most of the year.
285 - Kerk

I suspect Cael will play with the line-up quite a bit through the 1st half of the season.

Thoughts?
Looks like you’ve got it down pretty well. It’ll be interesting to see which two we see at 65. I think you’re correct that we’ll see two different guys go at several weights this weekend. Excited to see Beau with a little more weight and strength!

WE ARE!!!

Reactions: jack66
Oct 31, 2021
Looks like you’ve got it down pretty well. It’ll be interesting to see which two we see at 65. I think you’re correct that we’ll see two different guys go at several weights this weekend. Excited to see Beau with a little more weight and strength!

WE ARE!!!
Excited for these duals! Let s Go! Agree. Protects all Redshirts and leaves all options on the table. Would like to c Mason Manville get a chance ! Beau at 149 exciting and critical to season . He s gonna show ppl!!!! 157 interesting. Love Bearclaw but I think Joe Lee has bigger upside come March. 165? Hav to think plan is Alex come new year. Will have growing pains but I’d shirt comes off :Boom! Matt Lee big unknown but I don t bet against the Lee’s! ( don t want Hoosier Lion mad at me! Lol) 125? Great kids and they ll fight and do us proud. But Would love to get Drew ! Game changer. Anyone that knows him would agree Tough , seasoned , smart and great kid! Semifinalist imo. Willie u agree?
Suriano? At this point wish him well but want the kid that wants us and no drama. He may. But imho Hildebrandt! Concerned about SVN s brace. No inside knowledge but any concerns please just get better! Kerk will be the talk of the college wrestling world come March! Beard and Dean - great problem to have. I like Beard but Max great too. Michael can score ! and if healthy watch out. AB, Cstar , Nick and RBY all stars and leaders! Enough talk !
Ready wrestle…………
One more thing ! Bo Bassett a phenom but NY strong: PJ Duke full court press! Special and gonna be a generational talent.
A natural. NY strong!

Reactions: Kevin310 and jack66

ArkansasLion

Oct 11, 2021
Post-zoom call

141 - Nick
149 - Bartlett
174 - Star
184 - Brooks
285 - Kerk

Thoughts?
I like the looks of that line-up. I'm interested to see what Campbell brings to the table. He seems to not be considered when discussing 125. Would like to think Steen gets the nod if we don't wind up with Hildebrandt or Suriano (doesn't seem very likely to me), but for the first half, I like giving some of these other kids a chance to put on the white cummerbund singlet.

I think Joe Lee will look much better down at 157, as long as he handles the cut well. Bear Claw looked really good when given the opportunity last year, but I think a full-sized Joe Lee could be dangerous! 165 has a lot to work out. Would expect to see different guys trot out each match for a while.

The most interesting to me is going to be how the Lions handle the embarrassment of riches at 197. It seems a shame that a high-level AA is going to end up watching the action in Detroit, but that is what we are looking at! If Beard has his gas tank issues figured out, look out! I think he's the man. However, if he can't push the pace with Max for the full seven minutes, Max will take him. I agree with jack that we see a similar rotation to the Sheed/Cassar situation. What a problem to have!

Tryingtodoitright

Oct 12, 2021
Since we have two duals opening day and we're kinda home, I think we wrestle different guys in each dual at multiple weights.

125 - Campbell/Shunk - I think we'll see them both get a match opening Saturday
133 - Evans/Meredith - same, but we could also see Meredith at 125
141 - Nick Lee
149 - Bearclaw
157 - Joe Lee
165 - Manville/Matt Lee -
174 - Starocci
184 - Brooks
197 - Dean/Beard
285 - Kerk

Kind of hedged my bets there;)
This looks like eight scoring wrestlers to me. I think PSU might have a chance!

82bordeaux

Oct 29, 2021
I like the looks of that line-up. I'm interested to see what Campbell brings to the table. He seems to not be considered when discussing 125. Would like to think Steen gets the nod if we don't wind up with Hildebrandt or Suriano (doesn't seem very likely to me), but for the first half, I like giving some of these other kids a chance to put on the white cummerbund singlet.

I think Joe Lee will look much better down at 157, as long as he handles the cut well. Bear Claw looked really good when given the opportunity last year, but I think a full-sized Joe Lee could be dangerous! 165 has a lot to work out. Would expect to see different guys trot out each match for a while.

The most interesting to me is going to be how the Lions handle the embarrassment of riches at 197. It seems a shame that a high-level AA is going to end up watching the action in Detroit, but that is what we are looking at! If Beard has his gas tank issues figured out, look out! I think he's the man. However, if he can't push the pace with Max for the full seven minutes, Max will take him. I agree with jack that we see a similar rotation to the Sheed/Cassar situation. What a problem to have!
I think Facundo is almost a lock to have his shirt pulled in January. He has that "it" factor that is hard to pick up on film. In person it shows. I believe he will come a long way in the next 2 months, and will be a top 6 guy in a very stacked weight. Then he'll be a 2023 Champ.

Oct 31, 2021
Beard entered in Journeyman Open. Makes sense to enter him or Max. Gets him more matches. This competition will be decided a la Shak / Cassar imo. People may disagree but I m not reading too much into this. Wishing both Max and Michael all the best this w end! Excited for tomorrow! Let s Go!!!!! PSU 💪💪💪!
Trust the process.
One last thought : Drew…………

Oct 31, 2021
Beard entered in Journeyman Open. Makes sense to enter him or Max. Gets him more matches. This competition will be decided a la Shak / Cassar imo. People may disagree but I m not reading too much into this. Wishing both Max and Michael all the best this w end! Excited for tomorrow! Let s Go!!!!! PSU 💪💪💪!
Trust the process.
One last thought : Drew…………
Mason Manville also entered !
Matt Lee at 165 vs Oregon State and Sacred Heart? Facundo ……..

NittanyChris

Oct 12, 2021
Question: Would Facundo get more matches through December wrestling tournaments unattached or wrestling every match as a starter? I sincerely don’t know.

PSU Mike

Oct 6, 2021
Question: Would Facundo get more matches through December wrestling tournaments unattached or wrestling every match as a starter? I sincerely don’t know.
You’d have a better chance of guessing where Marinelli will place at nationals 😕

Reactions: Hulk

PSU Mike

Oct 6, 2021
Actually hoping there’s a chance Facundo goes today. We’ll find out soon enough!

WE AREA!!!
Not sure why he would. Oh, and Kennedy was right with Marinelli today. Too bad Assad lost to a HS kid. Paging Mr. Brands. Paging, Mr. Nelson Brands.

NittanyChris

Oct 12, 2021
Not sure why he would. Oh, and Kennedy was right with Marinelli today. Too bad Assad lost to a HS kid. Paging Mr. Brands. Paging, Mr. Nelson Brands.
I guess if he’s clearly the top option at 65, one could argue he’d face a higher quality opponent starting in duals vs the quantity of going unattached to tournaments.

That said, you’re probably right and we won’t see him today.

Latest posts