Penn State senior Aaron Brooks wins Hodge Trophy, the Heisman of college wrestling

Mstan85

Nov 29, 2022
I wanted to vote for CS, but I don't want to dilute the vote. I'm sure Iowa fans are voting 99% for PK

Reactions: BeerLion

psykim

Oct 7, 2021
Can you vote once or daily? thanks Carter Starocci is a wonderful and courageous wrestler but since the Big 10 tournament in 2023 through the 2024 season, Big 10 tournament, and NCAAs Brooks just dominated-as if the other wrestlers were in a lesser league and this is after moving up to a higher weight. Brooks probably will not make the Olympic team this year-because of David Taylor who has so much more international experience but if that is the path Brooks chooses I would see him as a future World champion and Olympic gold medalist-he is that good.

Reactions: Spice67

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
I dropped my vote on Brooks. I love me some Carter, but if you look at the criteria, he is in fifth place this year.

Reactions: Classof09

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Can you vote once or daily? thanks Carter Starocci is a wonderful and courageous wrestler but since the Big 10 tournament in 2023 through the 2024 season, Big 10 tournament, and NCAAs Brooks just dominated-as if the other wrestlers were in a lesser league and this is after moving up to a higher weight. Brooks probably will not make the Olympic team this year-because of David Taylor who has so much more international experience but if that is the path Brooks chooses I would see him as a future World champion and Olympic gold medalist-he is that good.
Yes. You can vote daily. I just voted for Brooks again. No brainer vote.

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
Parker seems like a great young man and obviously a great wrestler, but anyone putting him above Brooks either hates Penn State (which I totally get) or has a deep rooted problem

This shouldn’t be close because the stats are not close. Every year amazing guys don’t win the Hodge. Nolf?

BigBankFrank

May 24, 2022
Parker seems like a great young man and obviously a great wrestler, but anyone putting him above Brooks either hates Penn State (which I totally get) or has a deep rooted problem

This shouldn’t be close because the stats are not close. Every year amazing guys don’t win the Hodge. Nolf?

I agree. When you look at the numbers, Parker is right there with Brooks. But when you look at their head to head, Brooks has won every time and Brooks went to another level this year.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
I agree. When you look at the numbers, Parker is right there with Brooks. But when you look at their head to head, Brooks has won every time and Brooks went to another level this year.
Yes. He and Trent Hidlay find themselves in a similar spot in terms of being blocked from winning things by the dominance of Aaron Brooks.

Reactions: smealpsu05

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
Sorry, but Parker is NOT right there. Sure total bonus rate, that is obvious. Aaron has a way greater % of both pins and TF’s vs majors……..in a better conference. It isn’t close.

The folks at win might be stuffing the ballot to keep it interesting. There could be plenty of PSU backlash. Or racism.

Oct 12, 2021
Sorry, but Parker is NOT right there. Sure total bonus rate, that is obvious. Aaron has a way greater % of both pins and TF’s vs majors……..in a better conference. It isn’t close.

The folks at win might be stuffing the ballot to keep it interesting. There could be plenty of PSU backlash. Or racism.
AB is clearly the better choice. I agree that it isn't close.

Reactions: Got GSPs

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
Don't bring the racism crap into it. There is a huge anti psu wave right now. Similar to Alabama a few years ago in football. If you add the other psu wrestlers to Brooks total, there wouldn't even be a discussion.

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022
Just voted for AB again, but did not see updated (to date) poll results. Can someone please share a current snapshot of the balloting? TIA!

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022
Don't bring the racism crap into it. There is a huge anti psu wave right now. Similar to Alabama a few years ago in football. If you add the other psu wrestlers to Brooks total, there wouldn't even be a discussion.

Our other wrestlers are phenomenal but a conspiracy theorist might suspect they are included to split the Penn State vote. Kinda like when Todd Blackledge, Curt Warner, and Kyle Brady were all finalists for the Heisman a "few" years back.

• Haha

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
Our other wrestlers are phenomenal but a conspiracy theorist might suspect they are included to split the Penn State vote. Kinda like when Todd Blackledge, Curt Warner, and Kyle Brady were all finalists for the Heisman a "few" years back.
We are of the same age range and suffer from CRS....but you're mixing teams there

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Just voted for A. Brooks again. I believe this is the last day to vote but Tom can correct me if I’m wrong so everyone vote.

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
We are of the same age range and suffer from CRS....but you're mixing teams there.
1982 or 1994. WGAF at some point all those times run together.

• Haha
Reactions: PSU_Lions_84

Mstan85

Nov 29, 2022
So I think Starocci getting hurt may have cost Kecketson the hodge.... For fan voting, it could have been PK 34%, AB28%. CS28%.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Voting ends today at 6 pm EDT. So please vote again if you haven't done so today, or vote for the first time if you've yet to do so. It's really easy to do -- takes less than a minute to do so.

Last edited:
  • Love

Got GSPs

Oct 7, 2021
So I think Starocci getting hurt may have cost Kecketson the hodge.... For fan voting, it could have been PK 34%, AB28%. CS28%.
I hope that fan voting doesn't have that much of an impact.

Mstan85

Nov 29, 2022
I was also assuning the rest of the votes would be split. .... Just had easy numbers for the fans.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I hope that fan voting doesn't have that much of an impact.

it doesn't. The winner of the fan voting is given 5 votes. I believe there are 59 other votes in the mix (that may change each year), from a combo of former winners, national media members, a retired college coach from each region of the USA, and a representative of each of the national wrestling organizations.

The fan vote can make a difference in a close vote.

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
it doesn't. The winner of the fan voting is given 5 votes. I believe there are 59 other votes in the mix (that may change each year), from a combo of former winners, national media members, a retired college coach from each region of the USA, and a representative of each of the national wrestling organizations.

The fan vote can make a difference in a close vote.
Won't be close.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

it's not that complicated. If a wrestler goes undefeated on the season, they will be in the mix.

Carter being included as a candidate was somewhat of a surprise to me. Before having to MFF at the B1G Tourney, he looked to be a lock to be included. But the rule changes mean that his 2 forfeits in the B1G Tourney count as loses. I guess the committee sympathized with his situation -- he finished 2nd in last year's voting for the Hodge, and preseason was considered the favorite. I think AB put up better stats than did CStar this season even before the forfeits, so AB would have been my choice if both of them had finished the season undefeated. But stats aren't always the deciding factor. I believe one of the years DT won the Hodge (he won it twice), Ruth had better stats.

pabison

Dec 11, 2021

Plus Brooks beat him soundly when they wrestled