How is Penn State wrestler Shane Van Ness' injury recovery going? Cael Sanderson offers an update

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Great news. A torn ACL is tough to come back from in wrestling. Once he gets passed the mental aspect he’ll be wrestling like it never happened. That’s always the toughest part. So glad he’s ahead of schedule. Always dreamed of Barlett and him winning National Championships together since they wrestled together for years. Now we just gotta get Bartlett to come back for his final season. If he does we’ll have the best team ever under Cael. Then we’ll have a great shot at breaking the all times points record at Nationals. I’m counting on Kerk as well at HWT.

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
I think the most interesting thing Cael mentioned was that his knee was actually a nagging issue he's had for a while. This is pure speculation on my part but it sounds like maybe he had a partial tear he's been dealing with for a while and it finally tore all the way.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
I think the most interesting thing Cael mentioned was that his knee was actually a nagging issue he's had for a while. This is pure speculation on my part but it sounds like maybe he had a partial tear he's been dealing with for a while and it finally tore all the way.
Yeah, obviously I have no idea of the specifics, but after hearing Sanderson say that I do recall SVN wrestling with that left knee wrapped like seen at the top of this Onward State story:

Reactions: Karl_Havok

psykim

Oct 7, 2021
Do yourself a favor and watch Cael talk about what a backup wrestler (Baylor Shunk) means to this team and tell me that you were not moved! Cael is not always a great interview but this interview revealed more and more about how an amazing man and coach Cael is (not that PSU fans do not know that). A team is more than the starters!! And there are dedicated young men who are-by their attitude, energy etc- a big part of the team even though they know they will not be big time wrestlers. The backup wrestlers who dedicated themselves to making the team better is a great story. I bet many of these backups who dedicate themselves to helping the team are very successful beyond sports!!