Michigan/Harbaugh trying to slide by with self-imposed penalty?

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
From what I’ve read, the purpose is to lighten the penalty that is imposed, not necessarily “slide by”. Sounds like it may end up being a 3-6 game ban total, so the NCAA would only impose 3 more in addition to the 3 served this season. Smart move by Michigan. It makes sense for Michigan to have the 6 games spread out over 2 seasons than just one season. Especially considering that the violation occurred during the Covid Pandemic.

Personally, I don’t see the big deal here. As many have noted, universities rarely impose a penalty equal to or more harsh than expected by the NCAA. And Michigan plays Texas Week 2 in 2024. Harbaugh is going to miss a significant game the way this is working out. I’m sure Michigan wishes their 4 game proposal worked out for this season to have it over with.

Still don’t have much faith in the NCAA though. Won’t be shocked if it is only 1 game next season, or none. Michigan isn’t taking any chances as these 3 games are pretty easy games. Truthfully, I hope it is no games or only 1. Michigan is a big draw and is becoming one of the better teams and more interesting teams in College Football. I’d rather watch a huge Week 2 matchup between Michigan and Texas with Harbaugh on the sideline.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stardust710

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
From what I’ve read, the purpose is to lighten the penalty that is imposed, not necessarily “slide by”. Sounds like it may end up being a 3-6 game ban total, so the NCAA would only impose 3 more in addition to the 3 served this season. Smart move by Michigan. It makes sense for Michigan to have the 6 games spread out over 2 seasons than just one season. Especially considering that the violation occurred during the Covid Pandemic.

Personally, I don’t see the big deal here. As many have noted, universities rarely impose a penalty equal to or more harsh than expected by the NCAA. And Michigan plays Texas Week 2 in 2024. Harbaugh is going to miss a significant game the way this is working out. I’m sure Michigan wishes their 4 game proposal worked out for this season to have it over with.

Still don’t have much faith in the NCAA though. Won’t be shocked if it is only 1 game next season, or none. Michigan isn’t taking any chances as these 3 games are pretty easy games. Truthfully, I hope it is no games or only 1. Michigan is a big draw and is becoming one of the better teams and more interesting teams in College Football. I’d rather watch a huge Week 2 matchup between Michigan and Texas with Harbaugh on the sideline.
I just don't understand the apprehension to swiftly apply penalties with consistency and evenhandedness across the board by the NCAA when rules are broken. Why the debate and delay? Rule breakers who don't suffer swift and substantial penalties make a mockery of the rules - and the teams who do follow the rules.
If we are going to have rules, the NCAA must enforce them with penalties which discourage breaking them (pain must be inflicted) or the system is meaningless.