More B.S. from Franklin about explosive plays in his post game interview ....

GregInPitt

Oct 13, 2021
What about a running game and first downs?

Seems to work for the teams that kick PSU's ***.....

smh

And when the heck is someone going to ask him if it might just be a good idea of giving younger OT's a chance in a game when the starters can't seem to block their assignments play after play........... Can someone please fire some of these too comfy in their jobs reporters as well????

Last edited:
Reactions: PSUMoose and FTLPSU

Psu00

Oct 12, 2021
Did anyone pin him on tough questions or was it more of the central PA ‘rah rah’ reporters tossing him softballs?

johnmpsu

Oct 28, 2021
I wish he would just do the obvious. Two downs to get 2 or 3 yards, run the ball. Points to be taken early on, take them. 4th down from mid field, punt the ball. I don't care if it's worked once in 10 tries, punt the damn ball. Analytics are useless in college football. Not everyone is an equivalent opponent. Fourth and 2 against Bowling Green is not the same as against Georgia.

Karl_Racki

Oct 31, 2021
Did anyone pin him on tough questions or was it more of the central PA ‘rah rah’ reporters tossing him softballs?
If they do, he will just storm off and they will be black balled from future conferences.

CDLionFL

Oct 25, 2021
I thought the questions were fine. It's the deflecting answers he gives that makes it worse. Someone suggested he could have called timeout on that 4th and 2 to get Dotson back in the game and it seemed like that never occurred to Franklin to do that. Two people asked about the offensive line and he has the gall to say that they knew the DE's were going to be a problem and they had planned to chip them throughout the game. Well that isn't what you did, Coach. He said a whole lot of nothing in that postgame despite some decent questioning on strategy and execution.

Reactions: donaldfair71

danvillenit

Oct 30, 2021
I thought the questions were fine. It's the deflecting answers he gives that makes it worse. Someone suggested he could have called timeout on that 4th and 2 to get Dotson back in the game and it seemed like that never occurred to Franklin to do that. Two people asked about the offensive line and he has the gall to say that they knew the DE's were going to be a problem and they had planned to chip them throughout the game. Well that isn't what you did, Coach. He said a whole lot of nothing in that postgame despite some decent questioning on strategy and execution.
You must have listened to a different pc. He specifically said Dotson wasn’t available to come back in even with a to.

donaldfair71

Nov 8, 2021
He’s front running meathead who’s hunky dory and happy when it’s great, a deflecting buffoon when it’s not.

Alphalion75

Oct 21, 2021
Central PA. Reporters are so provincial and quaint. Their priority lies with the hot toddy after the game.

Reactions: Psu00

Alphalion75

Oct 21, 2021
Again, this is the big difference between Penn State and football programs that are serious about winning. I'm sure the media questions are tougher in Columbus, Athens and Tuscaloosa.

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
I wish he would just do the obvious. Two downs to get 2 or 3 yards, run the ball. Points to be taken early on, take them. 4th down from mid field, punt the ball. I don't care if it's worked once in 10 tries, punt the damn ball. Analytics are useless in college football. Not everyone is an equivalent opponent. Fourth and 2 against Bowling Green is not the same as against Georgia.
I've been critical of Franklin & Pry play calling. I think sometimes they do things the "book" says to do but you also have to know things like the momentum of the game and the strengths and weaknesses of your players. You've got to put your players in a position where they can succeed with their particular skill set, not the skill set you wish they had.

Psu00

Oct 12, 2021
Like losing a baseball game 7-5 and you hit 5 solo HR's. Does not make sense.
I watched a clip of his Tuesday (?) press conference after the Illinois game. He listed off like 5 stats that Penn St won- all completely irrelevant considering the team lost to lowly Illinois. You would have sworn PSU won the game. It was like he was in serious denial on what a disaster he just presided over.

It seems he focuses on big plays the same way. Like you said- you hit 5 solo HRs but still lost the game 7-5.

ManxomeLion

Aug 24, 2017
I watched a clip of his Tuesday (?) press conference after the Illinois game. He listed off like 5 stats that Penn St won- all completely irrelevant considering the team lost to lowly Illinois. You would have sworn PSU won the game. It was like he was in serious denial on what a disaster he just presided over.

It seems he focuses on big plays the same way. Like you said- you hit 5 solo HRs but still lost the game 7-5.

Explosive plays give one a "puncher's chance" in a match. I wonder if his focus there came from Maryland and Vanderbilt where they were often outmatched.
Elite teams also consistently make ROUTINE plays on a regular basis.
It's in this area, such as the run game and Oline development where there seems to be little progress given how far into the season we are.

Last edited:

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
I don’t put much stock in what is said in press conferences. They’re public, and Franklin won’t throw kids or coaches under the bus or air other dirty laundry. What is said behind closed doors could be very different. That doesn’t mean it will get better, but I still wouldn’t focus much on what Franklin says in press conferences.

Grass

Oct 28, 2021
I've been critical of Franklin & Pry play calling. I think sometimes they do things the "book" says to do but you also have to know things like the momentum of the game and the strengths and weaknesses of your players. You've got to put your players in a position where they can succeed with their particular skill set, not the skill set you wish they had.
Nothing says this more than the fake FG. He was shocked that his holder didn't throw a perfect pass to his kicker who in turn would have had to make a couple of defenders miss (something his 4* RB's can't even do).

EddyS

Oct 25, 2021
Can’t run, wouldn’t consistently win.

I don’t think he calls the plays. Believe you can question our OC re that.

ManxomeLion

Aug 24, 2017
Nothing says this more than the fake FG. He was shocked that his holder didn't throw a perfect pass to his kicker who in turn would have had to make a couple of defenders miss (something his 4* RB's can't even do).
In his response he stated:
1) he'd do it again (really?)
2) it was because we were struggling running the ball (so we've given up running, trying to run, or fixing the run for trick plays?)
3) we have to execute better (see #2)

Reactions: GregInPitt

GregInPitt

Oct 13, 2021
I go to church with a good many PSU fans. And this morning we were all now in agreement that we have seen enough of Franklin coaching PSU football.

But it would make me sick to likely lose the best prospect at QB that PSU has ever recruited........

Reactions: PSUAVLNC

Nohow

Oct 25, 2021
Too many reporters care too much about access at the expense of being a good reporter.
I don’t put much stock in what is said in press conferences. They’re public, and Franklin won’t throw kids or coaches under the bus or air other dirty laundry. What is said behind closed doors could be very different. That doesn’t mean it will get better, but I still wouldn’t focus much on what Franklin says in press conferences.
Well, he threw his kicker under the bus in his response to why the fake fg didnt work.

Reactions: gslachta

PSUAVLNC

Oct 28, 2021
As much as I wished he would succeed at PSU, and I was happy to have him, it’s abundantly clear now he’s not a good coach. He’s all smoke and mirrors.
I’m stunned that other posters still defend him and want home to stay.

How many more blown leads and lousy efforts do you need you see?

Texas Lion

Oct 29, 2021
James pretty much eliminated asking about anything against the program when he blackballed Audrey Snyder early in his PSU tenure. I would love to hear the following questions:

1. We supposedly have a tremendous amount of playmakers with the likes of Marquis Wilson, Deyvn Ford, and Dotson. Why do you constantly put Lovett and Lee back there and call fair catches the whole damn game?"
2. Are we to worry about the future of the OL when none of the back-ups can get any run even though the starters are possibly the worst group in the P5?
3. Is Roberson in the witness protection program? Not that I ever want to see him play again, but he isn't even a mention. Did the Iowa game scar him that much?
4. We know Dotson was hurt the last drive. Could you have not used a time out in order to see if someone could get him going and thus back in the game for the most important drive of the game? If the answer is no, do you think it was a good decision to target CBS Meiga, and CSB again during the final drive? Were PArker washington and Theo Johnson also hurt the last drive?
5. Why does your defense get so confused or run in to each other on about every crossing play any team has ever ran against you?
6. Do you know that Joey Porter Jr. holds on almost every single play?
7. I know this has already been implied through question #2, but why does your oline suck this bad?
8. Have people now caught on the some of the trick formations that MY throws out there?
9. Do you hate your offense so much that you trust Jordan Stout to gain 2 yards more than the starting offense?
10. Did KLS get hurt or was he in the doghouse for the small argument with Stubbs after he dropped that early pass.

There you go. Thats what I want to hear tomorrow. Instead we will get asked about his favorite ice cream flavor and the leadership development of Nick Tarburton.

PSU Mike

Oct 6, 2021
“The stats say …”

So James, remind me why we need to pay you so much then…

PSUForever

Nov 6, 2021
He tries so hard to be so calm and composed like "He's got this" yet he needs to show more fire like he actually cares. As a result he looks ridiculous.

"Coach you now have lost 4 of 5 and look disorganized, furthermore the program is definitely on a downward trajectory headed to the depths of the B10. Any comment to that?"

"Yes. You make a point there and I need to do better."

"Yeah that sounds good but we have a solution". We were all thinking as a press group along with a couple hundred thousand alumni and thousands more loyal fans that we pool together a bunch of money and sh__ can your lame a__. Does that sound okay?"

91Joe95

Oct 6, 2021
James pretty much eliminated asking about anything against the program when he blackballed Audrey Snyder early in his PSU tenure. I would love to hear the following questions:

1. We supposedly have a tremendous amount of playmakers with the likes of Marquis Wilson, Deyvn Ford, and Dotson. Why do you constantly put Lovett and Lee back there and call fair catches the whole damn game?"
2. Are we to worry about the future of the OL when none of the back-ups can get any run even though the starters are possibly the worst group in the P5?
3. Is Roberson in the witness protection program? Not that I ever want to see him play again, but he isn't even a mention. Did the Iowa game scar him that much?
4. We know Dotson was hurt the last drive. Could you have not used a time out in order to see if someone could get him going and thus back in the game for the most important drive of the game? If the answer is no, do you think it was a good decision to target CBS Meiga, and CSB again during the final drive? Were PArker washington and Theo Johnson also hurt the last drive?
5. Why does your defense get so confused or run in to each other on about every crossing play any team has ever ran against you?
6. Do you know that Joey Porter Jr. holds on almost every single play?
7. I know this has already been implied through question #2, but why does your oline suck this bad?
8. Have people now caught on the some of the trick formations that MY throws out there?
9. Do you hate your offense so much that you trust Jordan Stout to gain 2 yards more than the starting offense?
10. Did KLS get hurt or was he in the doghouse for the small argument with Stubbs after he dropped that early pass.

There you go. Thats what I want to hear tomorrow. Instead we will get asked about his favorite ice cream flavor and the leadership development of Nick Tarburton.

Do you have anyone in the booth relaying to you when to challenge a call?

Reactions: Texas Lion