NFL History - why don't we count part of it?

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022
As we approach another Super Bowl, does anyone else find it weird that we only discuss Super Bowls and basically just erase the first 32 years of the NFL championship game (1933-65) from history? I mean, the AFL only existed for 5 of those years, so it's not like there was a whole other group running parallel.

But really, when we discuss NFL Championships, the Packers have 4 (Super Bowl wins), but they've been champs 13 times. But don't bring that noise the Super Bowl broadcast. The Rams will be going for their second championship (not their 4th).

Does any other sport just ignore decades of its history like the NFL?

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
We do a similar thing in college football. Titles are in the AP era, and a lot of titles awarded before then are ignored, except by the teams who claim them.

GuitarCock

Jan 25, 2022
As we approach another Super Bowl, does anyone else find it weird that we only discuss Super Bowls and basically just erase the first 32 years of the NFL championship game (1933-65) from history? I mean, the AFL only existed for 5 of those years, so it's not like there was a whole other group running parallel.

But really, when we discuss NFL Championships, the Packers have 4 (Super Bowl wins), but they've been champs 13 times. But don't bring that noise the Super Bowl broadcast. The Rams will be going for their second championship (not their 4th).

So you're a Packers fan eh

• Haha
Reactions: CaughtLookin

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022

And there were many other professional football leagues in decades past. There was at least one other league known as the AFL which operated in the 1930s. And don't forget the AAFC, which brought us the 49ers and the team now known as the Baltimore Ravens.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
I'm old enough to remember several NFL Championship games. They mattered. Those were outstanding teams and many of those games, notably the the Ice Bowl (1967), and the 1959 Championship game between the Giants and the Colts were legendary. Those teams, and players such as Jim Brown, Johnny Unitas, Sam Huff, and Ray Nitschke - to name only a few - require no validation.