OK I’ll try to be positive - can Franklin go the Mel Tucker route to save his job?

psupride1997

Oct 25, 2021
Just tell the dead weight currently here to go hit the road, and JF can bring in a crap ton of guys through the portal. Since most people think next year is a rebuilding year, maybe PSU can use the portal like MSU did to turn it around.

Reactions: GregInPitt

Big_O

Oct 12, 2021
Tucker basically has a whole team dedicated to finding and acquiring portal transfers.

Reactions: step.eng69

Ram20

Oct 25, 2021
I said at the beginning of the season we need to become transfer portal U, especially for linemen, find 5 that can play

Reactions: nepalion and Psu00

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
Tucker basically has a whole team dedicated to finding and acquiring portal transfers.
that is correct, he created an org to just get free agents that fit their system. they have 42 transfers, and I think it has been stated there are 11 who are starters. MSU has nothing to do with recruiting classes, otherwise they are a nothing burger. I think they also have 8-9 guys who are in 6th year from the prior team. Tucker has done this for TWO years, so he is headed for a roster issues unless he can keep it going. IF the NCAA revisits the instant eligibility rule, the teams that can best recruit this way are going to have an advantage. Using transfers is a unique skill over recruiting 5* players. It is also going to take a couple more years to flush out all the 6 year players from the system.

91Joe95

Oct 6, 2021
Franklin isn't going anywhere, nor do I have any desire to see tons of transfers ala MSU or the old Snyder coached KSU teams. If you want to be elite you have to recruit well. There is plenty of talent on this team.

danvillenit

Oct 30, 2021
Franklin isn't going anywhere, nor do I have any desire to see tons of transfers ala MSU or the old Snyder coached KSU teams. If you want to be elite you have to recruit well. There is plenty of talent on this team.
There is talent but certainly not elite talent.

Reactions: PSUHammering1

oldpsubear

Oct 28, 2021
I said at the beginning of the season we need to become transfer portal U, especially for linemen, find 5 that can play
They better be able to play because they certainly will not be coached up when they get here

Reactions: Ram20

JVP_Yahweh

Oct 25, 2021
He already has a deep pipeline to Lackawanna at his disposal. Any kid that is elite from there will be wearing blue and white

Reactions: step.eng69

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
No. Doing that would wreck his HS recruiting relationships forever. Franklin has invested heavily there and can’t talk out of both sides of his mouth. A portal strategy is something a new guy does with the old guy’s recruits.

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
Just tell the dead weight currently here to go hit the road, and JF can bring in a crap ton of guys through the portal. Since most people think next year is a rebuilding year, maybe PSU can use the portal like MSU did to turn it around.
The problem is we have so many kids already committed. 91 kids eligible to return and the max is 85. Some will leave early but there doesn't seem to be much room to add portal transfers.

Ram20

Oct 25, 2021
I'm suprised some haven't learned their lesson. Would you have liked to have a few tackles at your disposal yesterday. Couple guys that had played the position in big games before?

NittanyBuff

Oct 30, 2021
Can't stand Midnight Mel for the way he bolted on CU, but the dude gets it, all about aquiring as much talent as possible.

nepalion

Oct 31, 2021
agree i wouldn't like for psu to be dominated by transfers like the old snyder ksu teams. feels dirty somehow. that said, i'd take whatever quality linemen we could get right now, and hope cjf's lightbulb goes on that we need to recruit those positions going forward.

91Joe95

Oct 6, 2021
agree i wouldn't like for psu to be dominated by transfers like the old snyder ksu teams. feels dirty somehow. that said, i'd take whatever quality linemen we could get right now, and hope cjf's lightbulb goes on that we need to recruit those positions going forward.

I have no problem with the occasional transfer, but building a team that way? Building a team with others cast-offs just isn't championship level football.

Got GSPs

Oct 7, 2021
Franklin doesn’t need to embrace the transfer portal as desperate act to save his job. He does not to do it to adapt to the change in the process for acquiring talent. He can’t keep players from transferring out so he should be more aggressive with getting players to come here from the portal.