OT: City makes pitch to keep Bears in Chicago | UPDATE: Bears stay in City

pap

Nov 1, 2021
Good luck trying to get an eastern site from the Big Ten powerbrokers. If they ever leave Indianapolis it’ll be for Chicago and maybe a token game every once in a while in the Rose Bowl for USC/ UCLA and the big ten traditionalists.
You make good points but one can always have hope .

Reactions: Psu00

CDLionFL

Oct 25, 2021
Chicago is 0 for 2 as far as stadium creations are concerned. Comiskey came in right before Camden Yards and its descendants made it an immediate relic. Then the renovation of Soldier Field, which was immediately panned (looked like an alien starship had landed on the pillars), was deemed a relic as soon as places like Qwest (or whatever Seattle is called) and Lucas Oil and the like came into the game. They'd be better off just building the new one in Arlington Heights instead of forcing the Bears to play at least one (likely 2) season in Champaign or at NW or South Bend. Just another solid management decision made by a family that hasn't gotten many on-field decisions right in the last 10 years.

Manofsteel200

Oct 27, 2021
It's pretty impressive and quite an aggressive approach by the City. Not sure if they will be able to pull it all off, but give them credit for making an effort to keep the Bears in town.

The enclosed playing field will be a big help, and possibly be able to attract other events, such as NCAA Men's Basketball Championship, CFP Football Championship, Big Ten Football Championship and even....dare I say it.... a new bowl game.
Considering that they screwed up the first “renovation” I wouldn’t hold my breath that the Bears will take the bait. The Bears organization wants a new stadium.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Considering that they screwed up the first “renovation” I wouldn’t hold my breath that the Bears will take the bait. The Bears organization wants a new stadium.
I will take your word for it. I don’t really pay much attention to the NFL and all
the ongoings.

Manofsteel200

Oct 27, 2021
I will take your word for it. I don’t really pay much attention to the NFL and all
the ongoings.
Loved/lived in Chicago for over a decade. Everyone hates what they did to the stadium, including the Bears. The nostalgia was taken away with the last renovation, everyone wants a new place. I was in the stadium twice. I would take Heinz field over that stadium any day. And Heinz field is a failure on multiple levels.

Last edited:
Reactions: pap

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Loved/lived in Chicago for over a decade. Everyone hates what they did to the stadium, including the Bears. The nostalgia was taken away with the last renovation, everyone wants a new place. I was in the stadium twice. I would take Heinz field over that stadium any day. And Hienz field is a failure on multiple levels.
I Guess Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

pap

Nov 1, 2021
Loved/lived in Chicago for over a decade. Everyone hates what they did to the stadium, including the Bears. The nostalgia was taken away with the last renovation, everyone wants a new place. I was in the stadium twice. I would take Heinz field over that stadium any day. And Hienz field is a failure on multiple levels.
Three Rivers is still better than the current stadium

Reactions: Manofsteel200

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
I imagine the "emerging trends that tomorrow's fans will demand" will have a winning franchise at the top of the list, but I think the audio of the narrator discussing that part failed to emerge through my headphones for some reason.

Also, how accurate can the aesthetically pleasing computer graphics/modeling be when it projected almost no person looking at their phones?

Colt2169

Dec 13, 2021
Good luck trying to get an eastern site from the Big Ten powerbrokers. If they ever leave Indianapolis it’ll be for Chicago and maybe a token game every once in a while in the Rose Bowl for USC/ UCLA and the big ten traditionalists.
they’ll play at SoFi

Manofsteel200

Oct 27, 2021
They shut down a beautiful Arlington Raceway to build a new stadium for the Bears.
The owners of the Race track were ecstatic. Based on the way the building was constructed, they had to do significant repairs after each winter and things were just getting worse. I did a lot of work in and around that building. Might have looked beautiful to guests m, but it was a nightmare to maintain.

psu31trap

Oct 29, 2021
The owners of the Race track were ecstatic. Based on the way the building was constructed, they had to do significant repairs after each winter and things were just getting worse. I did a lot of work in and around that building. Might have looked beautiful to guests m, but it was a nightmare to maintain.
I did not know the grandstand had ongoing costly maintenance. Architecturally and esthetically speaking it was one of the nicest tracks in the country.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

So, they're donating $2bn to a 'publicly owned' stadium? How is that gonna work....?

The Bears are planning to invest more than $2 billion in private money into a publicly owned domed stadium....

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
They just renovated Soldiers Field.

Domed stadium in Chicago? I went to a game there were it was so foggy we drove right past the stadium. If you've never been there that's hard to do.

$2.2 billion for a stadium update in a stadium that was just updated in 2003.

They still owe $631 million in debt from the last round of improvements, (due by 2032).
I guess $600+ million in renovations doesn't get you much these days

Reactions: Psu00

Lion84

Oct 7, 2021
Crazy that the shelf life on Pro Stadiums now appears to be 20 years. Seem long long ago White Soz built the one they are in now. At least they won't have to worry about a new stadium for the Cubs.

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
Pat and Neeli need to up their game.
We need a new campus with a new stadium as the centerpiece like the Bears. Those pesky students in the paved over dorms can join the World University and stop meddling with the BOT's plans.

ChiTownLionPSU

Oct 22, 2021
$3.25 billion price tag.

$2.025 billion from the Bears
$300 million NFL Loan Request
$900 million ISFA Bond Request

+ $300 million for public infrastructure = $3.5 billion total price tag.

Latest posts