Penn State basketball: Three takeaways from lopsided loss to UMass

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Our lack of timeouts made me wonder if Shrewsberry wanted us to play through adversity and isn’t as concerned with wins and losses at this point.

I think we are switching way too easily and ending up with mismatches over the first two games…guys aren’t fighting through screens and when we aren’t switching, are way too often going under them. Just leading to way too many good looks from the outside.

One positive…I think we scored our first two layups on BLOB plays that I’ve seen since the Ed era tonight.

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
Providence just beat Wisconsin at Wisconsin by 5. I’m sure the Badgers were counting on this as an easy win. Stuff happens at this time of year especially when one team is making 3 pointers and the other isn’t.

We were giving up easy 3 point looks and Buttrick and the others made us pay. This can’t happen if you want to win. The defensive effort wasn’t there, except for UMass.

Reactions: PrtLng Lion

WDLion

Oct 12, 2021
Providence just beat Wisconsin at Wisconsin by 5. I’m sure the Badgers were counting on this as an easy win. Stuff happens at this time of year especially when one team is making 3 pointers and the other isn’t.

We were giving up easy 3 point looks and Buttrick and the others made us pay. This can’t happen if you want to win. The defensive effort wasn’t there, except for UMass.
I don't know why anybody would take Providence as an easy win. They've had a decent basketball program for a long time.

Reactions: Auxgym

bbb2021

Nov 14, 2021
PSU's commitment to CBB has been really disappointing over the years. Look at the rest of our programs - most are solid and compete for championships. Basketball is just puzzling.

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021
PSU's commitment to CBB has been really disappointing over the years. Look at the rest of our programs - most are solid and compete for championships. Basketball is just puzzling.
Giving up already? Shrews is a highly pedigreed coach. His players (outside some lower level transfers) are still in high school. Sheesh.

PrtLng Lion

Oct 14, 2021
Not exactly a stellar outing. UMass hit a lot of 3's,including from their "big man". That's a tough thing to guard but Harrar is going to need to be able to get out there and disrupt the shot.

Still hoping we get more from Dread, he again wasn't much of a factor.

Buttrick looked pretty decent last night, on D, getting rebounds, hitting 3's, going to the hoop hard, etc. Where the heck was that the last couple seasons??

bbb2021

Nov 14, 2021
Giving up already? Shrews is a highly pedigreed coach. His players (outside some lower level transfers) are still in high school. Sheesh.
Understand, and I'm going to give him a chance, but my point is we've seen this act for decades now. Last night was embarrassing

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
I don't know why anybody would take Providence as an easy win. They've had a decent basketball program for a long time.
Agree that they are decent, I should have referred to them as unranked.

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
Understand, and I'm going to give him a chance, but my point is we've seen this act for decades now. Last night was embarrassing
We have two transfers on the sideline- one wearing a boot on his foot and the other dealing with NCAA transfer clearance. Hopefully both are playing by the time we are into the B10 schedule. They can help a lot.

EddyS

Oct 25, 2021
Play hard defense and then I’ll pay attention to all the words.
I have never understood how our players don’t effectively switch as the other team screens, and allow a seemingly innumerable number of open 3s.