Penn State collective launches ‘groundbreaking’ NIL model for businesses

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

Man, read the article and thought 'this is pretty cool,' then see the USC BLVD Collective partnering with the largest Mercedes-Benz dealership in the country....sigh.

Give Up Defeat GIF by CBS

TheBigUglies

Oct 26, 2021

CvilleElksCoach

Oct 8, 2021
I read the article and it sounds cool but SNAP Pizza and Geisinger being highest tier? Also, the biggest question in my mind is what percentage is the collective taking from the athletes? How much do the athletes end up with?
The funding of the collective is 10% for expenses to run the collective. With the exception of Jason's team, all others involved with SWH are volunteers.

Reactions: TheBigUglies

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Site is not opening. Has it crashed already.

Working now but the USC story isn’t there anymore….this isn’t the one about the Mercedes dealership deal, but has some good info about their collective including announcing they have seven figure deals with some players and they expect those who sign on to have ‘base salaries’ of $250,000….sheesh!

Found the car dealership story - they’re giving at least two players $120,000 MB S500’s.

• Sad
Reactions: BobPSU92

91Joe95

Oct 6, 2021
So those complaining about the structure of NIL are the ones who created it?

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
Man, read the article and thought 'this is pretty cool,' then see the USC BLVD Collective partnering with the largest Mercedes-Benz dealership in the country....sigh.

Give Up Defeat GIF by CBS

I read the article and it sounds cool but SNAP Pizza and Geisinger being highest tier? Also, the biggest question in my mind is what percentage is the collective taking from the athletes? How much do the athletes end up with?
This was the concern I had when NIL was getting started. Geography matters (at least, that's what my Penn State geography degree taught me) and PSU's location is at a major disadvantage compared to universities located in more heavily populated (and commercialized) areas.

J.E.B

Oct 30, 2021
Groundbreaking? Come on man. Big deals are arranged outside of a bloody website and collective. The difference between SWH and the HV Talent site is the broker. Broker gets $$$$!

Unfortunately the initial effort was not embraced and promoted by the PSU AD. They thought businesses would flock to the site and sign up. They didn’t and neither did the athletes. No value other than “supporting our athletes”.

Good luck vs. the big boys. No car dealers, no major retailers, not many major alum of influence have stepped up. What about the deal with the local hotel company? How about the freshmen running backs deal?

The bottom line is you have to have high profile athletes and PSU doesn’t have many right now. Franklion is happy with SNAP Pizza and Geisinger? Where are the Sheetz, KCF, AccuWeather, of the area for instance?

Reactions: Midnighter

CvilleElksCoach

Oct 8, 2021
Groundbreaking? Come on man. Big deals are arranged outside of a bloody website and collective. The difference between SWH and the HV Talent site is the broker. Broker gets $$$$!

Unfortunately the initial effort was not embraced and promoted by the PSU AD. They thought businesses would flock to the site and sign up. They didn’t and neither did the athletes. No value other than “supporting our athletes”.

Good luck vs. the big boys. No car dealers, no major retailers, not many major alum of influence have stepped up. What about the deal with the local hotel company? How about the freshmen running backs deal?

The bottom line is you have to have high profile athletes and PSU doesn’t have many right now. Franklion is happy with SNAP Pizza and Geisinger? Where are the Sheetz, KCF, AccuWeather, of the area for instance?
Lots of wrong info here.

TheBigUglies

Oct 26, 2021
This was the concern I had when NIL was getting started. Geography matters (at least, that's what my Penn State geography degree taught me) and PSU's location is at a major disadvantage compared to universities located in more heavily populated (and commercialized) areas.
Makes sense that geography matters, however, with the vast network of PSU Alumni and the connections up and down the east coast, NYC, DC, Phila, etc - I would think companies in these areas that have PSU Alumni influencers can use PSU Athletes to promote their products/services while at the same time promoting PSU in general to build the BRAND back up.

Reactions: Midnighter

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

Yeah, until there are similar proposed mechanisms in place for coaches, I don't see the need for any for players. They should be allowed to explore and compare available NIL opportunities before committing to a school. The mistake was trying to separate collectives from schools, which has only served to provide an atmosphere of secrecy and below board operations. Get the schools to reel in and consolodate with the collectives, and have them ink deals independent of school/coach influence. Have them sign contracts; have penalities for breaking contracts. Want to get big boy money you need to pay the big boy price.

That aside, this congressional effort is an absolute waste of time and energy by two of the most worthless members of it.

Reactions: PSUJam