Penn State wrestling notes: Aaron Nagao's injury status, the plans for 125, Mitchell Mesenbrink, and more

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
What is Aaron Nagao’s injury status? I’m unable to access the article above due to the firewall.

lionlover

Oct 6, 2021
“I think we have a really solid room right now. And, a lot of good guys throughout the lineup, and just more depth than we’ve probably had, which is nice,” Sanderson said.

That comment by Cael should make all of their opponents feel warm and fuzzy.

Oh No Omg GIF by Laff

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Delete. Sorry already posted question to Greg in other post.

Last edited:

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
Pat Mineo reporting Brands Assad and Cassoppi are done at Iowa this year due to the betting thing ( which I have not been following ) . They lose a year of eligibility which means Brands could come back but the other two are out of eligibility.

Take it for what it is worth.....

Reactions: lionlover

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Pat Mineo reporting Brands Assad and Cassoppi are done at Iowa this year due to the betting thing ( which I have not been following ) . They lose a year of eligibility which means Brands could come back but the other two are out of eligibility.

Take it for what it is worth.....
Yes, based on the NCAA release yesterday, that seems to be the case. But, haven't seen anything from Iowa yet, which I'm sure is looking into anything it can do to stave this off at the final hour.

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
I've invested very little time in this but the reason Iowa and Iowa State are targeted is the outfit doing the initial investigating has authority for Iowa. This isn't an NCAA investigation ( no freaking kidding ) but the investigating authority turns the evidence over to the NCAA and they have to punish because they just published guidelines.

The name I came up with is the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation. The kids bet on games they played in. I use the term kids on purpose....you have to be 21 to bet.

The Iowa Hawkeyes football coach was referring to the gambling investigation that has consumed the athletic departments at Iowa and Iowa State, a sprawling sting operation by the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation that implicated dozens of athletes in violating NCAA rules and will cost some of them their college careers. Others will be suspended for significant periods of time, up to a full season. In addition to the alleged NCAA violations, criminal charges have been part of the equation for 17 athletes so far (five of them accepted a plea deal Wednesday).

I don't bet on sports but I strongly suspect it is fairly easy to track this sort of thing given how easy it is to place a bet from one's phone. A couple of kids used accounts from people who were 21......but the system knows it is you, it is your phone. It is big business and they are not going to let some amateur athlete who has some NIL play money mess things up.

The ads on tv bore me to no end. Sometime I am glad I grew up in a very modest home.......I had what I needed and learned contentment with the things I had.

watoos

Oct 31, 2021
From what I understand, don't blame the NCAA, it was the Iowa legislature that passed the gambling laws.

Hey Terry, that's why athletes in other states haven't been punished.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
From what I understand, don't blame the NCAA, it was the Iowa legislature that passed the gambling laws.

Hey Terry, that's why athletes in other states haven't been punished.
Yes, Iowa's laws are to blame. I completely get where Brands is coming from. But, his state's strict laws are the issue here along with the actions of his wrestlers. Do I agree with it? Not necessarily. But, based on the NCAA rules and the state reporting rules, those are why we are where we are.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
"Only athletes from 2 institutions in Iowa have been targeted. No other D1 institution in this country has been targeted.

I can understand Brands being upset, but the notion that Iowa & Iowa State were targeted is hor$e$hit. The violations were found during a criminal investigation, not an NCAA investigation. The fact that Nelson admitted that he skipped the compliance training is embarrassing. I might be in the minority, but college and professional athletes should not be betting on sports.

May 16, 2023
I can understand Brands being upset, but the notion that Iowa & Iowa State were targeted is hor$e$hit. The violations were found during a criminal investigation, not an NCAA investigation. The fact that Nelson admitted that he skipped the compliance training is embarrassing.
This^^. I agree that the penalties are harsh, but Iowa and Iowa State were not "targeted". If Terry Brands doesn't understand this, he needs to.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
I am really digging the 3pt TD. Following OSU/VT on twitter and the TD is SOOOOOOOO important, as expected.

Pretty tight match.....OSU had a nice upset at 125. was 12-12 going to 184 but the Buck gets a pin

197 OSU wins to lock up the match

#20 Feldman beats #16 with a late TD, 3-2

Last edited:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I am really digging the 3pt TD. Following OSU/VT on twitter and the TD is SOOOOOOOO important, as expected.

Pretty tight match.....OSU had a nice upset at 125. was 12-12 going to 184 but the Buck gets a pin

197 OSU wins to lock up the match

#20 Feldman beats #16 with a late TD, 3-2

how does Gallagher not finish the TD here, and how does Andonian end up getting the TD? Pretty wild.

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
how does Gallagher not finish the TD here, and how does Andonian end up getting the TD? Pretty wild.

I don't know.......Bo knows. Very Bo like. Nolf and Yainni were amazing at this too. Seems like they are dead to rights and somehow get out of it.

Great sequence for BA

Reactions: Michnit