Penn State wrestling notes: What will the Lions do at 149? A look at the month ahead, more

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
Think he his talking about Gomez coming back to wrestle in college.

lionlover

Oct 6, 2021
“It’s tricky,” Sanderson said. “A lot of our kids are going to the open. So, we have to make adjustments for those guys. But, wherever we’re at, we’re going to get some work done. Our kids go home for as long of a holiday as we can give them. That’s not always the best training plan. But, we feel like it’s the best long-term plan for them and their mental well-being and just being excited to compete. It’s all about being ready to go in March.”

Last edited:

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
I’ve seen rumors that we offered him, guess this is the first step?
Gomez would be a great addition to say the least. Need a hammer to replace SVN at 149. He beat Ridge Lovett pretty bad. Lovett is currently ranked #1. Hopefully Cael and his staff go after Gomez really hard now. Our true Freshman can then red shirt like the original plan before SVN got hurt and had surgery.

Last edited:

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
I’ve seen rumors that we offered him, guess this is the first step?
Yeah, him getting the medical waiver was the most important hurdle he had to clear. Otherwise he wasn't wrestling for anyone this year. We'll see where he ends up.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
View attachment 477097not sure how accurate the info is.......but Twitter post above
Yea he’s been training out there. However if he has a goal to be an Olympic Champ NLWC would be more attractive. Could come train with Zain and others. Love to see him enroll in January. Cael and staff will probably at least reach out. Will see.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
View attachment 477097not sure how accurate the info is.......but Twitter post above

Yeah, Mineo posted that.

It could be a big deal, or could be nothing. Gomez has been training with the RTC at Michigan. I have no idea if he's also taking classes while there. Another option is that when PSU is trying to line things up for an athlete (in any sport) that is planning to enroll for the 2nd semester, they'll usually create an entry in their system for him. It would not surprise me if most universities do the same, as most of the steps in their registration, acceptance, payment, etc. are predicated on the student being in the system.

Gomez training with the Michigan RTC did give many the thought that his wrestling for them made the most sense. He doesn't have to move. I believe Michigan has been sending out a true freshman at 149.

I guess we'll find out what Gomez opts to do in the near future.

Last edited:

Latest posts