RIP Lou Conter- last survivor of attack on Pearl Harbor

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022
Thanks for posting this, psuro. My Dad was in War II - radio operator and mortarman. His division was being trained for the invasion of Japan, but was rushed to Europe as a replacement for Battle of the Bulge losses. One of the 97th's regiments is credited with firing the last (American) shot in the European theater.

They were shipped back to the US and given leave. Were on a train across the US (recall Pacific fighting continued and very few knew about the A-bomb) to be shipped to the Pacific theater when the news came Japan had surrendered. Sent to Japan as part of the occupation forces. Thus, Dad had service ribbons for both European and Pacific theaters.

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
Those men were amazing. When I vacationed on Oahu and visited Pearl Harbor and was able to meet and talk to many of the survivors just incredible stories of that day. May they all rest in peace as they were brave men who sacrificed much if not all. For those who have not made it to Pearl Harbor I highly recommend the tour. Taking the boat out to the Arizona and watch it gurgle up oil is enough to reduce many to tears. Its a solemn visit where everyone is quiet or whispers out of respect of those who lost their lives.

nittanymoops

Oct 31, 2021
Not to be that guy, but Mr. Conter was the final survivor of the USS Arizona, not the entire attack. May he and all his shipmates now RIP.

Have been to the memorial twice, and it ought to be required when visiting Oahu. First time was honeymoon in 1995. Had to drive onto and around the base to get to the visitors center for the boat ride to the memorial. Some of the buildings appeared to still have their 1941 scars. Second time was with the kids in 2012, after it had been changed around and the Missouri had been docked a few berths down. Very good NPS work and presentation on shore, and the Arizona Memorial is about as emotionally moving as visiting Omaha Beach.

STPGopherfan

Oct 31, 2021

slwlion01

Jul 24, 2023
Thanks for posting this, psuro. My Dad was in War II - radio operator and mortarman. His division was being trained for the invasion of Japan, but was rushed to Europe as a replacement for Battle of the Bulge losses. One of the 97th's regiments is credited with firing the last (American) shot in the European theater.

They were shipped back to the US and given leave. Were on a train across the US (recall Pacific fighting continued and very few knew about the A-bomb) to be shipped to the Pacific theater when the news came Japan had surrendered. Sent to Japan as part of the occupation forces. Thus, Dad had service ribbons for both European and Pacific theaters.
All down hill after that. Incredible guys, Everyone's wars after WWII were a disaster including mine. Different country, different people, I salute them and honor them, They were the best.

kgilbert78

Oct 25, 2021
Last Monday at the Blue Jackets game they saluted a 101 year old WW II vet..... Standing ovation (which has been rare in Nationwide Arena this season).

Reactions: nittanymoops

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
View from the 05 level bridge USS Missouri BB-63. My first GQ station. I was on the recommissoning crew 1985.Such an honor to be part of the crew. Visiting the Arrizona memorial is humbling.
View attachment 551575
My "office" looked like this