SIAP "Snap Infraction"???

BostonNit

Oct 27, 2021
So, if a QB is in the shotgun and the center snaps it over his head, it's a live ball. But if the snap dribbles along the ground it's a "snap infraction" and a dead ball?

Is this legit or did the B1G refs make something up?

I can understand not allowing the center to intentionally set the ball down, ala fumblerooski, but that was just a bad snap last night.

What gives?

Reactions: pennstater97

Classof09

Oct 12, 2021
So, if a QB is in the shotgun and the center snaps it over his head, it's a live ball. But if the snap dribbles along the ground it's a "snap infraction" and a dead ball?

Is this legit or did the B1G refs make something up?

I can understand not allowing the center to intentionally set the ball down, ala fumblerooski, but that was just a bad snap last night.

What gives?
I played center in high school. Once you move that ball after getting it set, it is live. Fumble. Interesting that Kirk, Fowler and the ESPN crew didn’t question it more or go to the rules expert. Either way, I don’t think it was a reviewable play since they called it a snap infraction/false start. Big miss by the officials.

Reactions: gslachta and bbrown

Big_O

Oct 12, 2021
The refs misinterpretated the rule. I looked the rule up during the game. The snap infraction is meant to prevent the center from moving the ball a few inches keeping it in his hand before snapping it (simulating a snap) to try and draw the defense offsides. The center clearly snapped the ball poorly which dribbled backwards along the ground toward the QB. I believe they huddled after Penn State recovered to come up with this gem. I have seen this called a few times in NFL games and the infraction appeared nowhere near how it looked in the game last night (the center never let go of the ball).

rem524

Oct 28, 2021
The tOSU center was called for a second "snap infraction" later in the game and it was called correctly. He started to bring the ball back, stopped and moved it back forward. The refs actually knew the rule in that case.

Their center had a rough stretch during the game. Along with the fumble, he was not on the right snap count at least a few times.

Reactions: gslachta

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021
The refs misinterpretated the rule. I looked the rule up during the game. The snap infraction is meant to prevent the center from moving the ball a few inches keeping it in his hand before snapping it (simulating a snap) to try and draw the defense offsides. The center clearly snapped the ball poorly which dribbled backwards along the ground toward the QB. I believe they huddled after Penn State recovered to come up with this gem. I have seen this called a few times in NFL games and the infraction appeared nowhere near how it looked in the game last night (the center never let go of the ball).
Absolutely that is what they did…those “Penn State huddles” only to emerge with a new gem to screw us has been quite common over our Big10 tenure.

Last edited:

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
In the refs defense he threw the flag immediately and ran in blowingthe whistle. He was wrong, but it was not a conspiracy.
IMO, there needs to be some sort of challenge ability for those egregious calls
That could be a potential game changing play and it was because we did not get the actual fumble that we recovered.

PrtLng Lion

Oct 14, 2021
In the refs defense he threw the flag immediately and ran in blowingthe whistle. He was wrong, but it was not a conspiracy.
...until they called the replay officials who confirmed the "snap infraction" call. (I'm kidding.... sort of...)

Not that this one play cost us the game, but dang... sure seems like we're on the receiving end of Bizarro calls more than our opponents.

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021
...until they called the replay officials who confirmed the "snap infraction" call. (I'm kidding.... sort of...)

Not that this one play cost us the game, but dang... sure seems like we're on the receiving end of Bizarro calls more than our opponents.
Did you not hear Michigan fans after Sparty beat them? "They" get "all" the bad calls.
/s

CDLionFL

Oct 25, 2021
I was about to say something similar. Official saw what he thought was the infraction and blew it dead. Once it’s blown dead, their hands are pretty tied, especially when the ball is rolling around as the whistle is blown unlike in a clear recovery situation.

Broadcast really did blow it because the quarter ended at that point and they had a 3:00 break to talk in commercial about how or if to address it. They punted on it and they shouldn’t have.

Manofsteel200

Oct 27, 2021

Cost us at least 3 points. Then the Lovett play ....so hard to beat a good team when you have to beat the refs every time as well

gslachta1

Oct 16, 2021
Did you not hear Michigan fans after Sparty beat them? "They" get "all" the bad calls.
/s
Was at a golf dinner at Lancaster CC quite a few years ago and seated with a Michigan “man”. He voiced the same thing about us. Really I said. Thought Tony Johnson was OOB, that the ManninghamTD/Carr extra seconds were legit, etc

gslachta1

Oct 16, 2021
Watch Brandon Smith on this play, even as the Henderson runs past him, he can't get free of tOSU OL. Why is that?

You can’t call holding on OSU in the Shoe? Sorry you can’t call holding on OSU ever. One year OSU had close to zero holding calls. BIG wants to prop up CFP chances for them. Prove me wrong. Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck it’s Oregon, Bucks! 😂

gslachta1

Oct 16, 2021
You can’t call holding on OSU in the Shoe? Sorry you can’t call holding on OSU ever. One year OSU had close to zero holding calls. BIG wants to prop up CFP chances for them. Prove me wrong. Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck it’s Oregon, Bucks! 😂
No holding calls in 1999 game against Courtney Brown, Lavar Arrington, Brandon Short, Mac Morrison… right!

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021
Try reconciling the difference in fumble recovery in Illinois- forward progress and the Clifford one against Ohio State. You can’t. The BIG bias is flagrant. Sandy, you got this?

I was going to ask why we didn't get a whistle when Cliff's forward progress was stopped prior to the fumble, but it's just pissing in the wind.

Reactions: VaDave4PSU

CDLionFL

Oct 25, 2021
Cost us at least 3 points. Then the Lovett play ....so hard to beat a good team when you have to beat the refs every time as well
You’re really grasping for a whiny narrative when you cite the Lovett play as us getting screwed. How about a 5th-year guy knowing where he is on the field?

gslachta1

Oct 16, 2021
I was going to ask why we didn't get a whistle when Cliff's forward progress was stopped prior to the fumble, but it's just pissing in the wind.
Different rules/calls for different teams. Statistical probability of “blown” calls in one game(snap, Lovitz OOB, Clifford “fumble”, lack of holding”, roughing on qb not called- they purposely affected his throwing 2nd half) too high to be “the breaks” Not to mention time after time (Hack “interception”, FG after time off clock) I don’t mind pissing in the wind- I’m a urologist. Eventually people will get tired of them pissing on your head and telling you it’s raining! These aren’t just rants. I’m saying what most are thinking or can’t- muzzled.
Is 5 rants in a row a record? 🙂

Reactions: MacNit

gslachta1

Oct 16, 2021
You’re really grasping for a whiny narrative when you cite the Lovett play as us getting screwed. How about a 5th-year guy knowing where he is on the field?
See his Twitter account if you think I’m wrong.

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021
Different rules/calls for different teams. Statistical probability of “blown” calls in one game(snap, Lovitz OOB, Clifford “fumble”, lack of holding”, roughing on qb not called- they purposely affected his throwing 2nd half) too high to be “the breaks” Not to mention time after time (Hack “interception”, FG after time off clock) I don’t mind pissing in the wind- I’m a urologist. Eventually people will get tired of them pissing on your head and telling you it’s raining! These aren’t just rants. I’m saying what most are thinking or can’t- muzzled.
Is 5 rants in a row a record? 🙂

I honestly believe we're only in the Big Ten to be a patsy.

Reactions: MacNit and gslachta

PSJimbo

Oct 12, 2021
I posted this in a similar thread on the "old" board so please forgive me for posting it here as well. The "snap infraction" call was totally made up at that moment in time. You can see it on the ref's face for a couple moments when it occurred. He didn't know what to call. He realized the whistle should never had been blown and he was on the hook to call something so he blurted out, "snap infraction". It made me think of that insurance commercial where the schtick is don't become your parents. I'm talking about the part of the commercial where the guy blurts out, "hair is blue!".

gslachta1

Oct 16, 2021
Whose Twitter account? How about just linking it to make it easier?
Lovitz. No, I’m sure you can find it. Sum it up for you. He stated that the OSU kid came to him and verified he pushed him out.

CDLionFL

Oct 25, 2021
Jon Lovitz? Loved him on SNL.

Listen, LOVETT can report whatever the OSU player came up to him and said, video is gonna say otherwise and Lovett touched OB before the OSU kid nudged him and even if the OSU kid hadn't touched him, he was still going out of bounds.

Reactions: ps_1294