Those with incoming students.

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
Seeing @razpsu and @Lion84 have incoming freshmen, I thought I'd drop a note about Aurora, and more specifically the Orion Experience offered through Aurora. If your students haven't considered this program, they should. One of my daughters went through Aurora/Orion before starting her freshman year and she loved it. From my vantage it was absolutely life changing for her. Five days and four nights in Roth Rock State Forest. Ten incoming students (co-ed) and two leaders (also co-ed, students who've done Orion and taken further training) hike anywhere from 3 - 10 miles per day. They don't have tents, but do have a tarp which they string up each evening in an attempt to keep dry. All ten students usually sleep under the one tarp and leaders usually sleep in hammocks that they brought along. The entire thing is a "leave no trace" experience which means that everything they bring in must be packed out. The toilet is a hole that each one digs themselves when they have a bowel movement. They are allowed to use toilet paper but it must be packed out so they all opt to using moss instead. Water is collected along the way from any source they can find, which has some added clorox. No food may be disposed of along the way. Think about this for a moment; No Trace Left Behind.

My daughter considers it the single best experience of her life. It gave her much, including many life long friends that she maintains today. For those with students attending Branch campuses, they match them with other branch campus students from the same location if there are more than one from the same location.

Oh, and somewhat changing subjects, they should also consider "Discover House". One of my daughters lived in D-house her freshman year. It exists for incoming DUS students but it is possible to get placed there if you have declared a major, but you have to ask to be assigned. DH has an RA like all dorms, but they also have a full time "Activity Coordinator" who plans all kinds of things that aren't available to the general population. They reserve many of the required freshmen level classes like English Comp, etc. They have many social activities such as pizza nights, trips to DC, NYC, etc which are free, or mostly free, etc. They are trained counselors and spend a bunch of time talking to the members of D-house to push them to explore new things and help them to think beyond undergraduate school. No additional cost to live in H-house.

Both of the above create very tight knit groups which helps to make Penn State seem like a much smaller University.

Sorry for being verbose, but I thought you would like to know about these opportunities, which aren't well known.

Portions of the video at this link are mis-leading. They sleep in the woods, not in open areas with pavillions or anywhere near roads. They usually come across the first rattlesnake within an hour of being dropped off which is the first of many they will see, among many other things.

I couldn't find a good link about Discover House but here are some testimonials. If you look I'm sure you'll find something better.

Last edited:

Sharkies

Nov 1, 2021
I did the Orion trip as an incoming freshman back in the late summer of 2008. Everything TiogaLion said is true - it was a fantastic experience, a beautiful, tiring, incredible walk through the woods. I will say I don't remember using moss as TP haha, but I do remember there was one girl who didn't go number 2 the entire week - I don't know whether I was more impressed or horrified.

All jokes aside - it comes with a few other real benefits -

- It's a credit class, so if you complete it, you already have a 1credit "A" on your report card
- You will make friends on the trip, and you absolutely will see them around campus, which is great. Built in friends.
- In fact, I know I haven't seen / heard from / talked to my one buddy from this trip in over a decade, but we'd still be able to recount the experience if I ever happen to run into him a tailgate someday.
- You get to experience the Pennsylvania wilds... and many of these kids are from the suburbs of Philly or NYC, its a great opportunity to do so.

Reactions: TiogaLion

Lion84

Oct 7, 2021
Seeing @razpsu and @Lion84 have incoming freshmen, I thought I'd drop a note about Aurora, and more specifically the Orion Experience offered through Aurora. If your students haven't considered this program, they should. One of my daughters went through Aurora/Orion before starting her freshman year and she loved it. From my vantage it was absolutely life changing for her. Five days and four nights in Roth Rock State Forest. Ten incoming students (co-ed) and two leaders (also co-ed, students who've done Orion and taken further training) hike anywhere from 3 - 10 miles per day. They don't have tents, but do have a tarp which they string up each evening in an attempt to keep dry. All ten students usually sleep under the one tarp and leaders usually sleep in hammocks that they brought along. The entire thing is a "leave no trace" experience which means that everything they bring in must be packed out. The toilet is a hole that each one digs themselves when they have a bowel movement. They are allowed to use toilet paper but it must be packed out so they all opt to using moss instead. Water is collected along the way from any source they can find, which has some added clorox. No food may be disposed of along the way. Think about this for a moment; No Trace Left Behind.

My daughter considers it the single best experience of her life. It gave her much, including many life long friends that she maintains today. For those with students attending Branch campuses, they match them with other branch campus students from the same location if there are more than one from the same location.

Oh, and somewhat changing subjects, they should also consider "Discover House". One of my daughters lived in D-house her freshman year. It exists for incoming DUS students but it is possible to get placed there if you have declared a major, but you have to ask to be assigned. DH has an RA like all dorms, but they also have a full time "Activity Coordinator" who plans all kinds of things that aren't available to the general population. They reserve many of the required freshmen level classes like English Comp, etc. They have many social activities such as pizza nights, trips to DC, NYC, etc which are free, or mostly free, etc. They are trained counselors and spend a bunch of time talking to the members of D-house to push them to explore new things and help them to think beyond undergraduate school. No additional cost to live in H-house.

Both of the above create very tight knit groups which helps to make Penn State seem like a much smaller University.

Sorry for being verbose, but I thought you would like to know about these opportunities, which aren't well known.

Portions of the video at this link are mis-leading. They sleep in the woods, not in open areas with pavillions or anywhere near roads. They usually come across the first rattlesnake within an hour of being dropped off which is the first of many they will see, among many other things.

I couldn't find a good link about Discover House but here are some testimonials. If you look I'm sure you'll find something better.

Thanks TiogaLion- really good info. My Daughter is going into the Kinesiology Program and wants to be a Physical Therapist one day. I will pass along this info - she in knee deep in roommate selection right now - always fun.

Reactions: LionJim

LB99

Oct 27, 2021

Thanks. This is good info. I wish I knew this last year before my freshman started. Maybe it will come in handy with my younger one.

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021

They would have been better off hanging out at ThePhyrst for 5 straight notes!

• Haha
Reactions: Tom McAndrew

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
Thanks TiogaLion- really good info. My Daughter is going into the Kinesiology Program and wants to be a Physical Therapist one day. I will pass along this info - she in knee deep in roommate selection right now - always fun.
Well, if she is considering Discover House she should tell prospective roommates before selecting one. They may want to live somewhere other than Beaver Hall.

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
I did the Orion trip as an incoming freshman back in the late summer of 2008. Everything TiogaLion said is true - it was a fantastic experience, a beautiful, tiring, incredible walk through the woods. I will say I don't remember using moss as TP haha, but I do remember there was one girl who didn't go number 2 the entire week - I don't know whether I was more impressed or horrified.

All jokes aside - it comes with a few other real benefits -

- It's a credit class, so if you complete it, you already have a 1credit "A" on your report card
- You will make friends on the trip, and you absolutely will see them around campus, which is great. Built in friends.
- In fact, I know I haven't seen / heard from / talked to my one buddy from this trip in over a decade, but we'd still be able to recount the experience if I ever happen to run into him a tailgate someday.
- You get to experience the Pennsylvania wilds... and many of these kids are from the suburbs of Philly or NYC, its a great opportunity to do so.
It's actually a 3-credit class that counts for your Health and Fitness requirement.

To add to the poop story. There is only one shovel along so you have to get it from whomever is packing it along. My daughters group made fun of this experience in that each each one of them would holler out something funny (I don't remember the exact word she told me) breaking the silence. The group would cheer as they returned. Well, when she was the leader of a group she told her group about hollering out in order to break the awkwardness. The boys thought this was hilarious but she noticed none of the girls were taking the shovel into the woods. With that, she stood up, grabbed the shovel and marched off into the brush. Stayed there a few moments (she didn't have to go) and yelled out to let them know she dropped trough. When she got back to group the other girls started taking turns with the shovel and yelling out when they were done. Turns out none of them wanted to be the first girl to go.

As for moss, no one wanted to carry soiled toilet for 4 or 5 days so no one used toilet paper the two times she was out in the forest.

Reactions: Sharkies

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
They are allowed to use toilet paper but it must be packed out so they all opt to using moss instead.

You had me at moss instead

Reactions: LionJim

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
Yeah, finding moss at 5am would seem to be quite problematic.
Better plan ahead and gather some. However, I'd think most would hold off until there is some light as to not be walking around the woods in the dark. There are no campfires allowed so it will be dark and returning may be tricky.

Taycro

Jul 21, 2022
Yeah I love PSU and the outdoors but I don't think I'd be interested in wiping my *** with moss at 3 AM in the middle of the PA wilderness. To each their own.

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
Yeah I love PSU and the outdoors but I don't think I'd be interested in wiping my *** with moss at 3 AM in the middle of the PA wilderness. To each their own.
You are allowed to use toilet paper. Just bring along some food grade plastic bags to pack it out.

Latest posts