Thoughts from the (edge) of the couch….

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
1. Certainly not the walk away victory that we all had hoped it would be. But, from the edge of the couch, at no time did I think Penn State was going to lose this game.

2. Defense, defense, defense. They really, as the kids say…”bowed up” when they had to. Saw the stat that NW gained 8 yards after the 5 PSU turnovers.

3. 5 PSU turnovers. Oh vey.

4. Aside from all the glaring turnovers, the offense was able to move the ball - especially in the first half. Singleton and Allen each had about 90 yards in the same number of carries.

5. Sorry to hear Ford has decided to leave the team. In August, they had 5 scholie RBs. Now only 3. Really gotta hope the season does not wear down the current guys. CJF is gonna have to trust a walk on to provide depth.

6. Not a great game by Clifford. Although on the interception, it looked like Trey Wallace pulled up rather than completing his route.

7. Both PSU lines played well. Defensively, PJ Musthpher had a great game. Seemed like they caught NW behind the LOS several times. On the O-line, I don’t think Fashanu’s name was called once. Which is a good thing.

8. Penalties - ugh. A few of them were “dumbass” penalties- like being pulled offside.

9. Very few downfield attempts this game, but the weather dictated that.

10. Barney Amor I really want to paraphrase Stevie Wonder and sing “My Barney Amor”…..he could have been the MVP of the game.

11. Nick Tarburton played well on Saturday.

12. Freshman mistakes - not holding onto the ball like they should, DDS’ penalty, getting lost on pass coverage. Ugh.

13. Northwestern always plays PSU well - they are one of those teams, like Indiana, that seem to give PSU fits no matter the score or the difference in talent. They are 1-1 and thoeetically, could still win the West.

14. No missed XP or FG. But I was holding my breath on the FG attempt given last week and the weather.

Other thoughts

1. Kansas is 5-0. Really good for them. At this point, I would be hard pressed to think of any other coach who would be National Coach of Year than LeIpold.

2. It does not hurt my feelings that Oklahoma lost.

3. Ga Tech surpassing PItt? Nice. They needed the win.

4. Maryland is looking stronger than they have for a while - as is Illinois. They hold Wisky to 2 yards rushing. Wow.

5. A&M - ha!

6. Special kudos to any fan/student who was at the PSU game and stayed through the weather.

FTG

Last edited:

Manofsteel200

Oct 27, 2021
9. When your QB is obviously not going to run the ball, you need to take steps to pull defenders out of the box. PSU failed to do that. Hitting the TEs, taking more shots downfield, more motion….We didn’t do any of it. Really poor play calling.

Big_O

Oct 12, 2021
9. When your QB is obviously not going to run the ball, you need to take steps to pull defenders out of the box. PSU failed to do that. Hitting the TEs, taking more shots downfield, more motion….We didn’t do any of it. Really poor play calling.
Agree. Also no short routes in the passing game. No simple throws to the back in the flat, etc. Almost all routes were medium to long, at least the ones that were thrown to. NW just stacked the box the entire game daring Clifford to beat them. I believe this was brought up on the radio broadcast. And where was the play action passing on first down during drives where running was successful after a first down or two?

Maybe this was because with the loss of Ford that CJF had no confidence in the pass catching ability of the other backs including the two freshmen.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Anyone who does not think weather played a role is nuts. I sat thru that crap and it was not pleasant at all. Frosh RB’s getting hit by regular Big10 defenses and wet balls will create fumbles (although Lee had one too). Cliff was really off and puzzled by why Allar was not in the game at all. Video from
the week showed Cliff was a little gimpy so that may have played a role. Also, perhaps we have not shown all of the offensive game plan yet so we have the element of surprise. It appeared to me that Franklin wanted to pound the ball yesterday and we did. Without turnovers, it may have been at least a 20 point win.

91Joe95

Oct 6, 2021
5-0. It hasn't been pretty the last two weeks so the bye is in a nice spot. Still, 5-0 and about to be ranked in the top 10 is an excellent start, and they do look like they belong there.

On defense, teams can move the ball, but this defense buckles down, creates a lot of turnovers, and plays with a lot of energy. Secondary is very good, line is above average, lb'ers are so so. I don't expect them to keep creating a lot of turnovers against the really good teams, but overall the unit is extremely good and capable of giving any offense fits.

Special teams - punting game is solid. Pinegar still gives me pause, but they said he was up to 4th in career scoring at PSU. Fg kicking may make me sweat at times, but special teams don't look like a liability.

Offense - I sure hope Franklin isn't getting ready to abandon the under center plays. The line seemed to be playing way too passive in the shotgun yesterday and not getting nearly as much push as when they start under center. Maybe Franklin got spooked by the rain and the center exchange, but I was surprised he practically abandoned the formations and limited the offense the way he did. Clifford - he doesn't concern me. I'd like to see him do more checkdowns underneath to keep the chains moving, but I suspect that has more to do with an obsession for chunk plays. The RB's - we know Lee is a fumbler at this point. Hopefully the freshmen learned their lesson because teams will be putting a little extra effort into punching the ball out of their hands now.

Overall this is a very good team, with the talent to beat anyone on the schedule. They strike me as an 11 win team.

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021
Freshman mistakes - not holding onto the ball like they should, DDS’ penalty, getting lost on pass coverage. Ugh.

I would love to see the All 22 footage of the pass that Carter seemed to get burned on. He dropped into coverage like it was zone. Reed, I think, was the over the top safety on his side. Brown was essentially playing MLB and had the underneath middle.

I'm curious if Carter was expected to run stride for stride with the Slot WR on that play or if the safety was supposed to break off and take him if he went deep? With all the m2m we play, it looks like Carter was on an island there but it seems we had Cover 2 called there and the safety bit down on the crossing route.

Reactions: 91Joe95

Manofsteel200

Oct 27, 2021
I would love to see the All 22 footage of the pass that Carter seemed to get burned on. He dropped into coverage like it was zone. Reed, I think, was the over the top safety on his side. Brown was essentially playing MLB and had the underneath middle.

I'm curious if Carter was expected to run stride for stride with the Slot WR on that play or if the safety was supposed to break off and take him if he went deep? With all the m2m we play, it looks like Carter was on an island there but it seems we had Cover 2 called there and the safety bit down on the crossing route.
The Carter play was a totla
Mismatch from the start.

Reactions: 91Joe95

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
1. Certainly not the walk away victory that we all had hoped it would be. But, from the edge of the couch, at no time did I think Penn State was going to lose this game.

2. Defense, defense, defense. They really, as the kids say…”bowed up” when they had to. Saw the stat that NW gained 8 yards after the 5 PSU turnovers.

4. Aside from all the glaring turnovers, the offense was able to move the ball - especially in the first half. Singleton and Allen each had about 90 yards in the same number of carries.

5. Sorry to hear Ford has decided to leave the team. In August, they had 5 scholie RBs. Now only 3. Really gotta hope the season does not wear down the current guys. CJF is gonna have to trust a walk on to provide depth.

6. Not a great game by Clifford. Although on the interception, it looked like Trey Wallace pulled up rather than completing his route.

7. Both PSU lines played well. Defensively, PJ Musthpher had a great game. Seemed like they caught NW behind the LOS several times. On the O-line, I don’t think Fashanu’s name was called once. Which is a good thing.

8. Penalties - ugh. A few of them were “dumbass” penalties- like being pulled offside.

10. Barney Amor I really want to paraphrase Stevie Wonder and sing “My Barney Amor”…..he could have been the MVP of the game.

12. Freshman mistakes - not holding onto the ball like they should, DDS’ penalty, getting lost on pass coverage. Ugh.

13. Northwestern always plays PSU well - they are one of those teams, like Indiana, that seem to give PSU fits no matter the score or the difference in talent. They are 1-1 and thoeetically, could still win the West.

14. No missed XP or FG. But I was holding my breath on the FG attempt given last week and the weather.

Other thoughts

1. Kansas is 5-0. Really good for them. At this point, I would be hard pressed to think of any other coach who would be National Coach of Year than LeIpold.

4. Maryland is looking stronger than they have for a while - as is Illinois. They hold Wisky to 2 yards rushing. Wow.

5. A&M - ha!

6. Special kudos to any fan/student who was at the PSU game and stayed through the weather.

FTG
1 went to the bars, he get credit?

91Joe95

Oct 6, 2021
The one thing that I have really liked about the offense this year (even more than the under center) is the lack of Clifford running the ball - no extra hits and he should be nice and healthy for the tougher games.

Yogiman71

Oct 8, 2021

Other thoughts

5. A&M - ha!

FTG
A good summary of the game, I am glad I will be seeing my cardiologist in a few weeks after this experience. The D was lights out running game and O line minus the fumbles are improving. We will play M tough and might pull the upset. I still think M schedule so far as been very weak.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Couple more thoughts

15. Hakeem Beamon with two PBUs in a row. I don’t think I have ever seen that during a PSU game before Nice.

16. Northwestern has a potential first round OL. But the DL neutralized and actually controlled him.

17. Even in a down pour- Manny Diaz has really great hair.

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
Anyone who does not think weather played a role is nuts. I sat thru that crap and it was not pleasant at all. Frosh RB’s getting hit by regular Big10 defenses and wet balls will create fumbles (although Lee had one too). Cliff was really off and puzzled by why Allar was not in the game at all. Video from
the week showed Cliff was a little gimpy so that may have played a role. Also, perhaps we have not shown all of the offensive game plan yet so we have the element of surprise. It appeared to me that Franklin wanted to pound the ball yesterday and we did. Without turnovers, it may have been at least a 20 point win.
Exactly. Conservative game plan in lousy weather. Would have worked much better w/o the fumbles. As Al Davis always said—just win baby.

Reactions: ps_1294 and Bison13

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021

I thought that there was a considerable chance that we would lose until we got into the fourth quarter- all it might have taken was another int and another fumble and NW getting a break or a call here and there- low scoring games in the mud have a way of going sideways in a hurry.

Since we survived them, the freshman mistakes- while painful to watch at the time- may well help us in the future, as these kids will learn from them.

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021
Totally agree with your post....with the exception that Allar should have been in the game

1664728281278.png

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021

Other thoughts

5. A&M - ha!

FTG

Like the musings.

10. I really like.

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
To me this is the single biggest factor for the offense. There were posts this week that Clifford was "gimpy" at practice. He clearly is not interested in running to any degree, and the DEF know this. They can force Clifford to win with the JY schemes and SC arm. It appears that JF will stick with the starting QB who is less than 100%. A SC who is not going to threaten the DEF with his running is a downgrade from our backup QB(s). DA or CV would be a better option than SC if he is injured and cannot threaten the run.

Bones80

Oct 19, 2021
It was interesting that they “obviously “ wanted to focus on the run 51 plays to 20 passing. The choice of many pass plays was weird. Some very low probability routes. Seemed like a game made for TE passing but there were very few. Clifford was far from sharp. He did have 3 nice throws: TD to Strange, long pass to Washington (missed another) and the throw out of the EZ to Tinsley. 4 fumbles messed everything up offensively. Need to relax a bit. They will probably not have another 5 turnovers game for years.

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021
I thought that there was a considerable chance that we would lose until we got into the fourth quarter- all it might have taken was another int and another fumble and NW getting a break or a call here and there- low scoring games in the mud have a way of going sideways in a hurry.

Since we survived them, the freshman mistakes- while painful to watch at the time- may well help us in the future, as these kids will learn from them.

The 4th down stop was basically a brick wall as far as NWs chances. Had they punches it in, the ball game has a different complexion. I'm not certain that NW had another scoring drive in them, but you don't how a score there changes the mental makeup of the team.

I'd much rather see 5 turnovers vs NW than our next 3 games. My only hope now is that it doesn't rain in Ann Arbor in 13 days.

Reactions: Sharkies

BriarwoodBash

Oct 12, 2021

Other thoughts

5. A&M - ha!

FTG
Good thoughts ‘Ro. Stayed for the whole game. Still think Carter is real deal. Only his 4th game so that blown coverage will be a lesson. Need to use tight ends more, especially in tough weather. Oth lines playing well and that is huge!

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Good thoughts ‘Ro. Stayed for the whole game. Still think Carter is real deal. Only his 4th game so that blown coverage will be a lesson. Need to use tight ends more, especially in tough weather. Oth lines playing well and that is huge!
Celebrate In Love GIF by HBO Max

PSUFBFAN

Oct 7, 2021

Other thoughts

5. A&M - ha!

FTG
Good thoughts. I'm glad to see you are paying attention and not fooling around on your MySpace and Ashley Madison accounts during the game. Keep up the good work.

Reactions: LionJim

Manofsteel200

Oct 27, 2021
I think Carter thought he had safety help. I watched a replay today and Jaylen Reed never looked at that side of the field.
This. When. I saw Carter in the receiver I thought they needed to call timeout. But then I saw the safety on that side and thought that Carter will have the under and the safety will get the deep route. I don’t know if that was his fault.

Reactions: hohmadw1978

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
It was interesting that they “obviously “ wanted to focus on the run 51 plays to 20 passing. The choice of many pass plays was weird. Some very low probability routes. Seemed like a game made for TE passing but there were very few. Clifford was far from sharp. He did have 3 nice throws: TD to Strange, long pass to Washington (missed another) and the throw out of the EZ to Tinsley. 4 fumbles messed everything up offensively. Need to relax a bit. They will probably not have another 5 turnovers game for years.
+1. Not sure why we went so far away from using the TE's. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Bison13

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Then you have plenty of opportunities. Is it just me or do these games seem to push 4 hours anymore with ridiculous amounts of commercials?
I'm not sure if its because I was wet or not but that seemed like one of the longest games of my life, even though it was a primary run game.
Just seemed like there was tons of stoppage and loooonnnnggg commercial breaks.

BriarwoodBash

Oct 12, 2021
I'm not sure if its because I was wet or not but that seemed like one of the longest games of my life, even though it was a primary run game.
We felt the same way in the stadium. What a day to have longer breaks!

Reactions: ODShowtime

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
at no time did I think Penn State was going to lose this game.
I never thought they were going to lose but I was certainly afraid they might lose.

Momentum had shifted and it was down to a 3 pt game if PSU doesn't stop NW on the 6" line. We certainly didn't have them "all the way"

DaytonRickster

Oct 25, 2021
Agree. We left @ half time, went back to our VRBO, dried off and came back into town that evening for dinner. Misearable weather. The rain was literally dripping off the brim of my hat the entire time we were in the stadium. Just wasn't worth staying in those conditions the way the offense was playing.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbrown

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
Frankly I’m not sure that blown coverage was on Carter. The DB playing in front of him chased the RB inside leaving Carter with no choice but to try to keep up with a WR.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Frankly I’m not sure that blown coverage was on Carter. The DB playing in front of him chased the RB inside leaving Carter with no choice but to try to keep up with a WR.
Carter was to have picked up the WR He did not recognize the play. That will come.

Reactions: LionJim