Zeke Jones Is a Ferret-Faced Wuss

Oct 15, 2021
Considering we didn't even send out a HWT 2 duals in a row, I don't think we should be throwing stones. We know Kerk was dealing with an illness, but how do we know Shultz wasn't too. This was almost exactly the same scenario with the Penn dual. Shultz was ready to go, but when they realized it wouldn't matter for the dual, they didn't send him out. I'm as annoyed as the next guy that we didn't get to see that match, but that's the way wrestling is now.

watoos

Oct 31, 2021
Considering we didn't even send out a HWT 2 duals in a row, I don't think we should be throwing stones. We know Kerk was dealing with an illness, but how do we know Shultz wasn't too. This was almost exactly the same scenario with the Penn dual. Shultz was ready to go, but when they realized it wouldn't matter for the dual, they didn't send him out. I'm as annoyed as the next guy that we didn't get to see that match, but that's the way wrestling is now.
I understand where you're coming from. We don't know if Schultz was sick or dinged, maybe someone could ask the question? People go to dual meets to see individual match ups, that's even how the duals are promoted, and one of the biggest match ups, maybe the biggest for that dual was Kerk v Schultz.

PSUHammering1

Oct 7, 2021
Shultz looked very healthy to me. Kerk was dealing with sickness as was rest of the team during that time. A dual meet forfeit is not quite as bad (unless ducking) as a tournament forfeit of this nature. Furthermore, Brands and Ryan are notorious for this ********.

Oct 15, 2021
Shultz looked very healthy to me. Kerk was dealing with sickness as was rest of the team during that time. A dual meet forfeit is not quite as bad (unless ducking) as a tournament forfeit of this nature. Furthermore, Brands and Ryan are notorious for this ********.
I don't know that you can see sickness. If you have that talent I'm sure you'd be very rich by now. Something like 60% of the NFL are sick, CFB athletes are dropping left and right, and our own team just went through a really bad flu/sickness outbreak. I don't think it's wild to speculate they're going through something similar. I also don't see how this was any different than a regular dual meet. It was a first year event, that doesn't mean anything outside of Ws and Ls, and the two teams that won their half of the brackets didn't even wrestle each other. I get it, it sucks we didn't get to see one of the best match-ups, but this is far from an isolated event. You say Brands and Tom Ryan are notorious for this? Are you sure that's not just PSU fandom creating a little bias there? Literally every team does this. We do it, Iowa, OSU, Michigan, Cornell, Oklahoma St, all do it too.

This, unfortunately, will never end until the sport finds some way to make dual meets mean anything. Even a passive wrestling fan can see that. A dual win gets a team literally nothing. A loss on the record can greatly affect seeding at nationals, which is the only thing coaches focus on. That's just where we're at right now. I don't think anyone likes it, but until someone comes up with a better format, it's what we're stuck with. Again, I get it sucks. I was really looking forward to that match, but we still got to see some amazing matching this weekend in a time that's normally slow for wrestling. Let's focus on that and not get down in the gutter like the fans from a certain black and yellow Midwest team and resort to name calling US Olympic medalists.

PSUHammering1

Oct 7, 2021
I don't know that you can see sickness. If you have that talent I'm sure you'd be very rich by now. Something like 60% of the NFL are sick, CFB athletes are dropping left and right, and our own team just went through a really bad flu/sickness outbreak. I don't think it's wild to speculate they're going through something similar. I also don't see how this was any different than a regular dual meet. It was a first year event, that doesn't mean anything outside of Ws and Ls, and the two teams that won their half of the brackets didn't even wrestle each other. I get it, it sucks we didn't get to see one of the best match-ups, but this is far from an isolated event. You say Brands and Tom Ryan are notorious for this? Are you sure that's not just PSU fandom creating a little bias there? Literally every team does this. We do it, Iowa, OSU, Michigan, Cornell, Oklahoma St, all do it too.

This, unfortunately, will never end until the sport finds some way to make dual meets mean anything. Even a passive wrestling fan can see that. A dual win gets a team literally nothing. A loss on the record can greatly affect seeding at nationals, which is the only thing coaches focus on. That's just where we're at right now. I don't think anyone likes it, but until someone comes up with a better format, it's what we're stuck with. Again, I get it sucks. I was really looking forward to that match, but we still got to see some amazing matching this weekend in a time that's normally slow for wrestling. Let's focus on that and not get down in the gutter like the fans from a certain black and yellow Midwest team and resort to name calling US Olympic medalists.
I didn't realize that you were the PSU fanbase spokesperson and keeper of protocol on how to view things and what can be said or not. Thanks for that clarification, I will certainly look for your esteemed counsel going forward. For the record - Shultz looked physically fit (not sick) and I've watched Brands and Ryan not wrestler their guys for years to protect their seeds.

• Angry
Reactions: PSUer1989
Oct 15, 2021
I'd annihilate Zeke Jones but it's not that I dislike him that much - I just don't like his tactics.
Oh I'm sorry, I thought I was having a conversation with an adult. Not a 4th grader who thinks he sounds tough behind an anonymous name on an internet forum the person he's talking about will never read. Carry on.

Reactions: PSUer1989

PSUHammering1

Oct 7, 2021
Oh I'm sorry, I thought I was having a conversation with an adult. Not a 4th grader who thinks he sounds tough behind an anonymous name on an internet forum the person he's talking about will never read. Carry on.
Paraphrasing from what I said in different post.....3rd grader.....haha.

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
Well. he was standing there and took his headgear off so he didn't have the flu or covid or was throwing up in the lockerroom. If you are ready to go, then go. The match was over long before they pulled Shultz.

It was a duck so let's just call it a duck. But hey, they are one point better than Northern Iowa so congrats.

Oct 15, 2021
Well. he was standing there and took his headgear off so he didn't have the flu or covid or was throwing up in the lockerroom. If you are ready to go, then go. The match was over long before they pulled Shultz.

It was a duck so let's just call it a duck. But hey, they are one point better than Northern Iowa so congrats.
Literally so was Kerk if you watched the Penn dual. He was standing there with his headgear on ready to go, then Dean won and Cael signaled we were going to forfeit at HWT. Byers even commented on Kerk being upset and that he wanted to wrestle. All I'm saying is we were fine with it then because we knew Kerk was sick, unless someone knows for a fact Shultz was perfectly healthy(Kerk looked fine too, until his father told people on these boards that he was throwing up during the dual) then why start whining like we accusing every other fans base of doing. We just blew out the #3 team in the country, BB got a win over a top 5 guy, Dean majored a very tough opponent, and Kerk still got a W.

I'm done with this thread. If being a fan to people means name calling other coaches for doing things we did 2 weeks ago, then fine. Have at it. I'll make sure to refrain from pointing out any further hypocrisy.

Reactions: manatree

watoos

Oct 31, 2021
If Kerk was in the back puking he obviously still had the flu, by not wrestling he didn't infect his opponent.
I don't believe in bashing anyone personally, only criticizing people's actions. I read one post that stated that Schultz may have been injured on day 1 but there was no follow up by Zeke. When Cael sits a guy he explains why so as to avoid threads like this one. All Zeke had to do was say that Schultz was a little bit dinged and was held back out of an abundance of caution, that's all, end of debate. I paid extra money to watch the matches, watched them for hours and a big reason I paid the extra cash was to watch Kerk v Schultz, it may well have been the top draw for the entire event, it was for Penn State fans I bet. These events are also draws because we get to see matchups between top kids who are in different conferences, that was the point of this tourney.

Zeke doesn't owe me or anyone else an explanation, but it would have been nice.

Gray52

Oct 11, 2021
Did Spyker migrate over to a board where he’s not banned? Yikes!
You kids carry on.

watoos

Oct 31, 2021
Byers was who it was who heard that Schultz got dinged, I think? My memory is still good it just doesn't last as long.

watoos

Oct 31, 2021
Another thing to consider if Schultz may have been dinged, he didn't wrestle Traxler from Va. Tech.

Oct 12, 2021
Not being an expert in wrestling nor having the experience I read here, is ASU a recent emerging power in wrestling or have they been on the map for a long time? Actually, schools like North Carolina State appear to be emerging as a wrestling school and probably others. I ask because I wonder if they are on the level or are they bending rules and twisting ethics to gain the edge in the climb up the wrestling significance ladder at a faster pace than would be expected of developing programs building their team?

shotofespresso

Nov 7, 2021
I understand where you're coming from. We don't know if Schultz was sick or dinged, maybe someone could ask the question? People go to dual meets to see individual match ups, that's even how the duals are promoted, and one of the biggest match ups, maybe the biggest for that dual was Kerk v Schultz.
Not to mention Schultz wrestled the day before with no mention of any illness. It certainly appeared as if this was a potential seed protection and that is not good for fans or the wrestler in the long run..