“Board of Trustees set to meet Sept. 22-23”

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Appears that the 300+ employees necessary to operate and oversee beer sales are not part of the hiring freeze. You go, Neeli.

How many employees will they hire for the Eric Barren Grand Cathedral of The Arts (and such)? 700-800?

Reactions: Bison13

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
A$$. BEATING. o_O

See the link below. From the article:

”UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. — The Penn State Board of Trustees will hold its next public meeting on Sept. 23 at the Eric J. Barron Innovation Hub on 123 S. Burrowes St. in State College. 

The committees on Governance and Long-Range Planning; Audit and Risk; and the Finance, Business and Capital Planning will meet on Sept. 22 at the Penn Stater Hotel and Conference Center. The meetings are open to the public and available via Microsoft Livestream at www.trustees.psu.edu/sept-22-23-2022

The full board will meet at 1 p.m. on Sept. 23 in room 603 of the Eric J. Barron Innovation Hub. The meeting is open to the public and available via Microsoft Livestream at www.trustees.psu.edu/sept-22-23-2022

The board welcomes the opportunity for free expression of public views on issues before the trustees. More information on how to provide comment to the board can be found at https://trustees.psu.edu/public-expression-guidelines/.”

So barren’s got the innovation hub. Any other naming for him coming down the pike? The museum? Beaver Stadium? The university?
Are they going to review the Freeh report?

PSU12046

Oct 18, 2021
Appears that the 300+ employees necessary to operate and oversee beer sales are not part of the hiring freeze. You go, Neeli.
"Penn State has instituted a strategic hiring freeze that will last at least until next summer, university administrators announced in a press release Monday.

The university's formal announcement of the freeze followed reporting by WPSU and other outlets regarding an email sent by the PSU's president last week.

The hiring freeze began Monday and, according to the initial email obtained by WPSU, was not intended to be announced by the university through any mass communications or a Penn State news story. Penn State President Neeli Bendapudi shared the decision on Thursday with the President’s Council, the Academic Leadership Council, Faculty Senate Leadership, Staff Advisory Council Leadership and Financial Officers.

The university says it must save $250 million to have a balanced budget by summer 2025. This freeze is on top of a 3% budget rescission that was previously announced for the 2022-23 fiscal year."

Oct 12, 2021

COMMITTEE ON FINANCE, BUSINESS, AND CAPITAL PLANNING​

Chair: Robert E. FenzaNon-Trustee Committee Members:
Vice Chair: Mary Lee SchneiderBarbara L. Doran (Trustee Emerita)
Randall “Randy” E. BlackRoger A. Egolf (Chair, University Faculty Senate Committee on Research, Scholarship, and Creative Activity)
Mark H. DamblySydney A. Gibbard (President, UPUA)
Valerie L. DetwilerGeorge T. Henning, Jr. (Trustee Emeritus)
Lynn A. Dietrich
M. Abraham Harpster
J. Alex Hartzler
Anthony P. Lubrano
Brandon D. Short
Richard S. Sokolov
Neeli Bendapudi, Ex Officio
Matthew W. Schuyler, Ex Officio

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021

PSU12046

Oct 18, 2021
“A committee of Penn State trustees convened on Thursday to recommend adopting a 2022-23 university budget that would include an approximately $900 million increase in spending over last year.”

o_O o_O o_O
Penn State operated at a $166 million deficit the last academic year, using its central reserves to off-set the shortfall, with Thorndike acknowledging such a practice is not sustainable. To balance the budget by 2025, the university is attempting to save an estimated $250 million — and, in the last few weeks, it has both raised tuition and implemented a hiring freeze.

A university-wide 3% cut is also on the horizon after being discussed for months. Officials will present an operating budget to the trustees for the upcoming academic year in September — and did not do so in July, as usual

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Penn State operated at a $166 million deficit the last academic year, using its central reserves to off-set the shortfall, with Thorndike acknowledging such a practice is not sustainable. To balance the budget by 2025, the university is attempting to save an estimated $250 million — and, in the last few weeks, it has both raised tuition and implemented a hiring freeze.

A university-wide 3% cut is also on the horizon after being discussed for months. Officials will present an operating budget to the trustees for the upcoming academic year in September — and did not do so in July, as usual

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
According to the Philadelphia Inquirer,
Pennsylvania State University would seek a whopping 47%, or $115 million, increase in state funding for 2023-24 under a plan endorsed by a committee of board members Thursday afternoon.

If approved by the full board Friday, the plan would raise Penn State’s general appropriation from $242 million to $357 million.

The request — which would be the first to go to the legislature under new president Neeli Bendapudi — follows three years of flat funding in Penn State’s basic appropriation, though the university got a one-time 5% boost last year via stimulus funds. Apparently PSU receives far less per student from the PA legislature than Pitt or Temple, and this has caused a financial strain which resulted in the recent hiring freeze, and tuition increases at University Park campus. By providing equal resources per capita across the commonwealth among the state universities the discrepancy could be eliminated and the shortfall restored. It is not clear what the reaction will be to this request among the state legislators in Harrisburg but if Neeli pulls this off it would be a major accomplishment to restore some fiscal stability and move towards eliminating the current budget deficit.

WestHallsLion

Aug 9, 2022
Let's see. In the past week, we've had numerous news stories about the lack of transparency regarding BOT executive meetings. And now the administration is asking for a few billion extra dollars to be thrown their way from the state, which will have no say in how it's spent and have no details about the secret meetings. On top of that, they make this request to a state legislature that is rabidly anti-funding.

Yeah, I think we know how this will turn out.

91Joe95

Oct 6, 2021
Let's see. In the past week, we've had numerous news stories about the lack of transparency regarding BOT executive meetings. And now the administration is asking for a few billion extra dollars to be thrown their way from the state, which will have no say in how it's spent and have no details about the secret meetings. On top of that, they make this request to a state legislature that is rabidly anti-funding.

Yeah, I think we know how this will turn out.

I'm sure this is just their fallback plan.

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
This is funny. Follow the link and you find this (bolding is not mine)....

Comment Length: Comments are limited to 500 words per person and must be submitted by 9:00 a.m. EST on Wednesday, September 21, 2022. All comments submitted by the deadline will be shared with the Board in advance of the meeting. The Board reserves the right to consolidate comments that are duplicative in nature for the purpose of avoiding repetition of the same comments.

All comments are shared with the board? Notice it doesn't say the comments are reviewed by the board, only shared. This means everyone is given a printout of the comments but said printout likely finds its way into the nearest trash can.
Toilet paper actually. The elite like to wipe with comments from the rabble.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
According to the Philadelphia Inquirer,
Pennsylvania State University would seek a whopping 47%, or $115 million, increase in state funding for 2023-24 under a plan endorsed by a committee of board members Thursday afternoon.

If approved by the full board Friday, the plan would raise Penn State’s general appropriation from $242 million to $357 million.

The request — which would be the first to go to the legislature under new president Neeli Bendapudi — follows three years of flat funding in Penn State’s basic appropriation, though the university got a one-time 5% boost last year via stimulus funds. Apparently PSU receives far less per student from the PA legislature than Pitt or Temple, and this has caused a financial strain which resulted in the recent hiring freeze, and tuition increases at University Park campus. By providing equal resources per capita across the commonwealth among the state universities the discrepancy could be eliminated and the shortfall restored. It is not clear what the reaction will be to this request among the state legislators in Harrisburg but if Neeli pulls this off it would be a major accomplishment to restore some fiscal stability and move towards eliminating the current budget deficit.
1663940822593.jpeg

Nov 3, 2021
Can anyone else log in and watch on the livestream? I'm following the directions on the BOT website and there's no option for Watch Anonymously. Called the BOT office and they said uuuuhhhhh we'll call the IT people... keep trying. That was 30 mintues ago.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Can anyone else log in and watch on the livestream? I'm following the directions on the BOT website and there's no option for Watch Anonymously. Called the BOT office and they said uuuuhhhhh we'll call the IT people... keep trying. That was 30 mintues ago.

Transparency

• Haha
Reactions: Bwifan

PSU12046

Oct 18, 2021
Shocked GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

PSU12046

Oct 18, 2021
Transparency
Seriously, can anyone, anyone run for election next year that can affect change on this show? I did vote for Anthony and Barry, hoping they could make an affect, but their hands must be white for sitting on them (little kittens). The university operated at $166 million deficit last semester and their answer is to ask for more money from the state and raise tuition. How 'bout spending less money like it is water. I hope all of the donated money for the new field hockey stadium is sitting in PSU's coffers now. Where is the extra monies coming from when the construction goes over the scope of work (because they'll go over budget!)

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
Seriously, can anyone, anyone run for election next year that can affect change on this show? I did vote for Anthony and Barry, hoping they could make an affect, but their hands must be white for sitting on them (little kittens). The university operated at $166 million deficit last semester and their answer is to ask for more money from the state and raise tuition. How 'bout spending less money like it is water. I hope all of the donated money for the new field hockey stadium is sitting in PSU's coffers now. Where is the extra monies coming from when the construction goes over the scope of work (because they'll go over budget!)
FH Stadium over budget? Simple when over budget just raise tuition and ask the state for more money.... wash, rinse and repeat...

PSUFTG

Nov 1, 2021
There was one Trustee who voted against approving of the budget, a budget with a larger operating deficit than last year. It was that same trustee who was the only one who made an argument to vote down the proposed budget, and "do better", but he was cut off, repeatedly, by the Chairman, and a vote was taken before he could finish outlining his argument to vote against the proposal.

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
There was one Trustee who voted against approving of the budget, a budget with a larger operating deficit than last year. It was that same trustee who was the only one who made an argument to vote down the proposed budget, and "do better", but he was cut off, repeatedly, by the Chairman, and a vote was taken before he could finish outlining his argument to vote against the proposal.
the fix has been in for a very long time, if anyone finds any of this even remotely surprising, they have been living in a dream world

PSU12046

Oct 18, 2021
Ok. Thanks for your, fight, Barry!

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
Ok. Thanks for your, fight, Barry!
Barry “fighting” will always be the lone dissenting voter and never make any difference. This was predictable. He needs to devote his energies into persuading others on the BOT to join him. Otherwise he will be totally ineffective, or worse yet , an amusement.

DELion

Oct 21, 2021
Their rationale in asking for the incremental $900 million appropriation from the state is that PSU receives significantly less money per student than other PA higher education institutions. But that has been the case for some time. So why do they think that the state will suddenly look favorably on this latest request? I would like to hear the state's reasoning as to why PSU is allocated proportionately less money than other schools.

Sara Thorndike, PSU VP Finance, claims that PSU tuition has remained flat for the last 10 years after adjusting for inflation. That may be so, but if you go back 20-30 years, the increases are substantially higher than inflation. And PSU continues to lose ground relative to its B1G peers. So it seems to me the only logical solution to balance the budget is to institute significant budget cuts. Instead the BOT plays the age-old game of blaming the state. It is all getting really tiresome.

91Joe95

Oct 6, 2021
Their rationale in asking for the incremental $900 million appropriation from the state is that PSU receives significantly less money per student than other PA higher education institutions. But that has been the case for some time. So why do they think that the state will suddenly look favorably on this latest request? I would like to hear the state's reasoning as to why PSU is allocated proportionately less money than other schools.

Sara Thorndike, PSU VP Finance, claims that PSU tuition has remained flat for the last 10 years after adjusting for inflation. That may be so, but if you go back 20-30 years, the increases are substantially higher than inflation. And PSU continues to lose ground relative to its B1G peers. So it seems to me the only logical solution to balance the budget is to institute significant budget cuts. Instead the BOT plays the age-old game of blaming the state. It is all getting really tiresome.

They know they're not getting the money. This is kabuki theater where they are trying to distract from their decade long failure to address costs. They're getting ready to issue some massive tuition hikes and they want to give the media someone else to attack. Given the corruption in the media don't be surprised if they try to give psu cover.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Going rate?
".........For example, in May 2022, the board paid $10,858.54 for “Barron video” and “Fleet.”"

Pretty damned sure I don't want to see that video. Dynamite would have been cheaper and more effective.

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
🖕

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
Barry “fighting” will always be the lone dissenting voter and never make any difference. This was predictable. He needs to devote his energies into persuading others on the BOT to join him. Otherwise he will be totally ineffective, or worse yet , an amusement.
I see you haven't changed much. Your initial predictions were 100% wrong and if you need I'll gather them up and quote them here.

Barry has been on the board for 4 months, yes 4 months, 3 of which were over the summer. If you hadn't noticed the media has taken an interest in PSU board again but this time it looks like they agree with Barry.

Why don't you run for the board?

Reactions: CambriaLion

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
How could one voice, marginalized from day one, have any impact?
I suspect he's just getting started. Ever wonder where the media got the idea to pursue the Sunshine Act? How about for the first time in my memory a trustee actually objected to the budget? Wouldn't it great if we had 9 trustees that stood up and said NO to a budget that has more Administrative Cost than Teaching Cost? Almost double!