Powered by On3

Dallas Cowboys address how defense will replace cornerback Trevon Diggs following ACL tear

Nikki Chavanelleby:Nikki Chavanelle09/22/23

NikkiChavanelle

Trevon Diggs Cowboys
Alam/Getty Images

Replacing cornerback Trevon Diggs in the lineup is now priority No. 1 for the Dallas Cowboys ahead of their Sunday afternoon matchup against the Arizona Cardinals. After news broke that Diggs tore his ACL on his left knee during practice on Thursday, the Cowboys immediately went to the drawing board to shuffle the secondary around.

Luckily for Dallas, Jourdan Lewis is back from the Lisfranc injury he suffered last season. He played 10 snaps against the Jets last week, and now, the plan is to move him to nickel corner while second-year DB DaRon Bland takes Diggs’ spot opposite veteran Stephon Gilmore.

“I do think we’ve got good men on this roster who can step up and play,” Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones said on Thursday, via Clarence Hill. “Jourdan Lewis is a good nickel corner. We will kick DaRon Bland outside like we did last year. I think Bland ended up with five or six interceptions last year. So I think we’re in a good spot.”

Dallas brought Lewis back from the PUP list at the start of the season. Though his snaps so far have been limited, the former Michigan standout told reporters that he believes he’s ready to play a full game. Whether or not the coaches agree remains in question.

“We’ll have to see. I’m fully-healthy now,” Lewis said, via Jon Machota. “So just going out there and showing I have the ability and my foot is stable enough to play a full game. That’s up to the coaches. I’ve been practicing full-go, full participant.” On his foot: “It feels good. I’ve done everything, one-on-ones, everything, every period. I’ve been running full speed.”

It’s hard to deny how big of a blow Diggs’ loss is, especially since he’s already snagged an interception and forced a fumble this season, but for now, the Cowboys have the depth to cover for him.

Mike McCarthy: Diggs loss ‘big blow’

On his Friday appearance on 105.3 The Fan, Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy shared his first comments on Diggs’ injury.

“It’s just awful,” McCarthy said, via Jon Machota. “He was just playing off the charts. That’s the way he practices, too. Obviously a big blow. Your heart goes out to Trevon. … This is our first big shot of adversity. This is a real punch to the gut.”

Diggs went down during one-on-one drills and after reporters saw him exit the facility on crutches, the team confirmed with an MRI that he tore the ACL of his left knee.

While many Cowboys fans would have liked to see all the starters put in bubble wrap after the 2-0 start Dallas has had, McCarthy explained the reality of the situation.

“There’s skill development that always goes on, especially with the limited time in training camp,” McCarthy said. “One-on-one drills are something that defensive backs and the receivers need. Everything you do in the passing game is based on time clock, so those reps are necessary. Not doing red zone 1-on-1, I don’t see that drill as a drill of high risk. It’s just one of those unfortunate things that happen when two guys are competing for the ball. That can happen in any drill.”

The Cowboys head to Arizona for an afternoon matchup against the Cardinals on Sunday.