“Jaden Rashada sues Billy Napier, Florida booster over NIL deal”

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
See the link below. From the article:

”Former University of Florida football recruit Jaden Rashada is suing coach Billy Napier, along with a big-time Gator booster and others, claiming they defrauded him out of millions of dollars by backing out of a promised $13.85 million agreement after the quarterback had turned down offers tied to other programs.

The lawsuit filed Tuesday includes an allegation that Rashada signed his national letter of intent to Florida on Dec. 21, 2022, less than an hour after Napier promised the player's father a $1 million "partial payment" that day upon signing. Rashada never received the $1 million, and the boosters never fulfilled the deal, the lawsuit states.

Rashada is the first known college athlete to sue his coach or a booster due to a dispute of a name, image and likeness (NIL) deal. His case, filed in the U.S. District Court in the Northern District of Florida, comes during a tumultuous time for the relatively new NIL market for college athletes. A mixture of state laws and evolving NCAA guidance dictates the roles that coaches, schools and donor groups known as collectives all play in facilitating the deals athletes can now strike to make money.”

But how did rashada like the uf library?

”College” Football

😞

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I skimmed over an article on this elsewhere. Is this a “for the first time ever” lawsuit or no?

I was a department chair and every year in August we chairs would all meet with the university lawyer: “Your first job is to do nothing that might get us sued.”

Zenophile

Oct 7, 2021
The Joker Popcorn GIF

Tom_PSU

Oct 29, 2021
Well honestly if someone offered $13.85 million, and then didn’t deliver I might be a bit muffed also. How do you tell your dad that he can’t have the new Bentley? Or at worst a lifetime supply of scones from Starbucks. That has to be troubling at best.

JerseyLion

Oct 31, 2021
I'm no attorney, but it sounds more like breach of contract than fraud.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
See the link below. From the article:

”Former University of Florida football recruit Jaden Rashada is suing coach Billy Napier, along with a big-time Gator booster and others, claiming they defrauded him out of millions of dollars by backing out of a promised $13.85 million agreement after the quarterback had turned down offers tied to other programs.

The lawsuit filed Tuesday includes an allegation that Rashada signed his national letter of intent to Florida on Dec. 21, 2022, less than an hour after Napier promised the player's father a $1 million "partial payment" that day upon signing. Rashada never received the $1 million, and the boosters never fulfilled the deal, the lawsuit states.

Rashada is the first known college athlete to sue his coach or a booster due to a dispute of a name, image and likeness (NIL) deal. His case, filed in the U.S. District Court in the Northern District of Florida, comes during a tumultuous time for the relatively new NIL market for college athletes. A mixture of state laws and evolving NCAA guidance dictates the roles that coaches, schools and donor groups known as collectives all play in facilitating the deals athletes can now strike to make money.”

But how did rashada like the uf library?

”College” Football

😞

Tennessee should sue this kid for flipping on his commitment. Hope he gets jack sh*t.

Reactions: ODShowtime

psu83

Oct 31, 2021
What's to stop a player from saying I was promised $XXXX amount in NIL but was never given it so I'm suing? Unless it's a signed offer/acceptance then isn't it a he said/she said argument? Any athlete could say they were promised something and never received it so they're suing for lost revenue when in fact no such offer was ever made.