“Penn State Law in University Park joins Order of the Coif honor society”

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
See the link below. From the article:

“UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. — Penn State Law in University Park has been accepted into the Order of the Coif, an honor society founded in 1902 to recognize “excellence in legal education.” The honor will be awarded to Penn State Law juris doctor graduates who finish in the top 10% of their class and will include a notation on their official transcript marking their lifelong membership in the society.”

And,

““Penn State Law is privileged and excited to commence our chapter of the Order of the Coif, one of the oldest and most renowned legal honor societies in the United States,” said James W. Houck, interim dean of Penn State Law in University Park and the School of International Affairs. “Being admitted into the Order of the Coif as a member school is an impressive distinction, especially for such a young law school, and really speaks to the scholarly accomplishments of our faculty and students.””

I want to feel good about this, but I probably should temper my enthusiasm while waiting for someone here to tell me that this is a BIG. NOTHING. BURGER. o_O .

Ghost of OM

Oct 30, 2021

“UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. — Penn State Law in University Park has been accepted into the Order of the Coif, an honor society founded in 1902 to recognize “excellence in legal education.” The honor will be awarded to Penn State Law juris doctor graduates who finish in the top 10% of their class and will include a notation on their official transcript marking their lifelong membership in the society.”

And,

““Penn State Law is privileged and excited to commence our chapter of the Order of the Coif, one of the oldest and most renowned legal honor societies in the United States,” said James W. Houck, interim dean of Penn State Law in University Park and the School of International Affairs. “Being admitted into the Order of the Coif as a member school is an impressive distinction, especially for such a young law school, and really speaks to the scholarly accomplishments of our faculty and students.””

I want to feel good about this, but I probably should temper my enthusiasm while waiting for someone here to tell me that this is a BIG. NOTHING. BURGER. o_O .
First question I’d ask is, what is the annual membership fee for the university to be granted inclusion?

Reactions: Bison13

JoeBatters1

Nov 1, 2021
Hadn’t realized that Osofsky left the law school in 2021 to become dean at NW law school. It appears Houck is serving his second tour as interim dean. Curious why they just don’t make Houck the permanent dean?

Last edited:

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
Schools can't apply until at least two years after they've been reviewed by the ABA, which first takes place about seven years after they've been established.

Having a chapter isn't nothing, but Harvard and Columbia don't.
You are correct. It isn't nothing. Only 86 other law schools have chapters. You are also correct about Harvard and Columbia, although Columbia is ineligible because they do not rank the top 10% of their graduating class by grade point average. As for Harvard, well....Harvard is no Penn State.
For anyone who cares, Pitt has had a chapter since 1912. Also, Penn State is the 12th BigTen school to get a chapter. Only Purdue, which does not have an ABA accredited law school, and Michigan State, which does, do not have chapters.

Last edited:

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
You are correct. It isn't nothing. Only 86 other law schools have chapters. You are also correct about Harvard and Columbia, although Columbia is ineligible because they do not rank the top 10% of their graduating class by grade point average. As for Harvard, well....Harvard is no Penn State.
For anyone who cares, Pitt has had a chapter since 1912. Also, Penn State is the 12th BigTen school to get a chapter. Only Purdue, which does not have an ABA accredited law school, and Michigan State, which does, do not have chapters.
We only like to hear things about Pitt that are funny. Let's talk yellow seats!

I see Pitt is number 78 on the USNews 2023 report while Penn State Dickinson is 58 and Penn State University Park is 64. Hmmm.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bison13 and LionJim

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
True, Columbia does not rank by GPA, but that has not always been the case, and it never applied for a chapter when it did. Groucho was their advisor.

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
We only like to hear things about Pitt that are funny. Let's talk yellow seats!

I see Pitt is number 78 on the USNews 2023 report while Penn State Dickinson is 58 and Penn State University Park is 64. Hmmm.
The rankings are a reason for pride but they don't necessarily translate in the real world. After nearly 5 decades as a member of the bar I can tell you Pitt Law produces top flight lawyers. There are 7 Justices on the Pa Supreme Court. Two are from Pitt, none from either Penn State Law School (you might expect at least one from Dickinson). In the courtroom Pitt grads are generally superb adversaries. Let me add that Pitt Law is nearly $15,000 cheaper annually than Penn State University Park. That's 45 grand over 3 years and that makes it, to me, a far better choice. Pitt, though, is more selective in admissions, taking 29% while University Park takes 35%, and Dickinson, surprisingly, takes 43%. One final point. Five years after you pass the bar, no one cares what law school you attended. Results are all that matter.

Last edited:

IANit

Oct 6, 2021
The rankings are a reason for pride but they don't necessarily translate in the real world. After nearly 5 decades as a member of the bar I can tell you Pitt Law produces top flight lawyers. There are 7 Justices on the Pa Supreme Court. Two are from Pitt, none from either Penn State Law School (you might expect at least one from Dickinson). In the courtroom Pitt grads are generally superb adversaries. Let me add that Pitt Law is nearly $15,000 cheaper annually than Penn State University Park. That's 45 grand over 3 years and that makes it, to me, a far better choice. Pitt, though, is more selective in admissions, taking 29% while University Park takes 35%, and Dickinson, surprisingly, takes 43%. One final point. Five years after you pass the bar, no one cares what law school you attended. Results are all that matter.
Temple Law also looks like a good buy. It ranks #63 on here, with tuition just under $29k (about $8k less than Pitt). Maybe it's worth the $45k or more difference to be able to walk around campus and surrounding areas safely. :)

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
Temple Law also looks like a good buy. It ranks #63 on here, with tuition just under $29k (about $8k less than Pitt). Maybe it's worth the $45k or more difference to be able to walk around campus and surrounding areas safely. :)
Perhaps, if it were true. Actually the Pitt campus, according to multiple sources, is considered safer than Penn State. In 2019 Pitt had 17.22 incidents per 1,000 students while Penn State had 25.07. "Niche", which graded all PA college campuses for safety, gave Pitt's campus a B rating while Penn State was a B-. Now, one might argue that the area off the Pitt campus is less safe and that may be true, but the students I know who went there stayed on campus (145 acres) and never felt unsafe.

And then there was this, from 2019.

Last edited:

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
We could play this all day long.

Employed at graduation:
Pitt. 44.3%
PSU UP. 53.3%
Dickinson. 57.5%

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
Perhaps, if it were true. Actually the Pitt campus, according to multiple sources, is considered safer than Penn State. In 2019 Pitt had 17.22 incidents per 1,000 students while Penn State had 25.07. "Niche", which graded all PA college campuses for safety, gave Pitt's campus a B rating while Penn State was a B-. Now, one might argue that the area off the Pitt campus is less safe and that may be true, but the students I know who went there stayed on campus (145 acres) and never felt unsafe.

Except for those that use their heads. Do you want me to pull up violent crime data for Oakland? Let's compare the types of crimes.

Let have you take a quick survey. Have you ever once felt unsafe in State College or University Park? At any time of the day?
Have you ever once felt safe in Oakland or Pitt's campus? At any time of the day?

Would you walk across University Park campus and through downtown at 2:00AM? Alone?
Would you walk across Pitt's campus and through Oakland at 2:00AM? Alone?

Answer truthfully and stop with the hate.

If I'm bored later I'll gather the data. It's laughable.

Reactions: Tri-Power65

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
Except for those that use their heads. Do you want me to pull up violent crime data for Oakland? Let's compare the types of crimes.

Let have you take a quick survey. Have you ever once felt unsafe in State College or University Park? At any time of the day?
Have you ever once felt safe in Oakland or Pitt's campus? At any time of the day?

Would you walk across University Park campus and through downtown at 2:00AM? Alone?
Would you walk across Pitt's campus and through Oakland at 2:00AM? Alone?

Answer truthfully and stop with the hate.

If I'm bored later I'll gather the data. It's laughable.
Yours is the type of response I expected. So be it.
That said I am off to a Memorial Day function. Let's all set aside our differences and honor those who gave "the last full measure."

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021

Thank you much, Bob,
2nd oldest grandchild graduated from Penn State Law a few yrs ago, passed the bar and last yr inducted into Luzerne County Law and Library Association.

Our youngest grandchild received her under grad this past spring and Penn State Law is on her list of schools.

👍

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Thank you much, Bob,
2nd oldest grandchild graduated from Penn State Law a few yrs ago, passed the bar and last yr inducted into Luzerne County Law and Library Association.

Our youngest grandchild received her under grad this past spring and Penn State Law is on her list of schools.

👍

Very nice!

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
Thank you much, Bob,

👍
Congratulations step! You are a first class poster here and I have no doubt that carries over to your family.
Let me be clear. Penn State is a very good law school and Penn State is a terrific University. I went there as an undergrad as did both of my daughters. I held season football tickets for nearly 40 years. My criticism of Penn State is done with the hope of making it better. Perhaps a message board is the wrong place to do that.
In any event, congrats to you step, and to your entire family. I wish your grandkids long and satisfying legal careers. I am coming up on 49 years at the bar and have never regretted my decision to become a lawyer. I hope your grandkids will someday feel the same. That said. I am off to another Memorial Day event. All the best.

IANit

Oct 6, 2021

My guess is that PSU is going to err on the side of over-reporting rather than under-reporting for the near future, lest anyone should be accused of a cover-up.

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021
I held season football tickets for nearly 40 years. My criticism of Penn State is done with the hope of making it better.
I understand completely. I also have become disenchanted with the way the university is managed. I tried to persuade my youngest grandgirl, the one currently deciding on law schools, from attending PSU.
Sofia was born and raised in Luzerne County, PA. She and her sister were in the Lake Lehman School district until 8th grade when the family moved to Alabama. Sofia wanted to matriculate at The PSU, were both her mother and father graduated. Since Sofia still had many friends at Lake LEHMAN, told our daughter to let Sofia live with us for her junior and senior yrs at Lake Lehman and establish a resident status in PA. When she graduated from high school and was accepted at PSU, the university changed their requirements for out of state residency. The university declared that Sofia's state residency is where her parents live.
She graduated in three years, did enjoy her stay at Penn State and very active in various societies. I believe she had 12 graduation honor and club cords.

Evan Ceg

Nov 1, 2021
It's ridiculous how long it takes to hire academic executives like deans. Way too many people in the interview process. It's been a year since Hari Osofsky announced she was leaving for Northwestern Law and no announcement yet of her successor. Probably James Houck is doing a fine job as interim dean of Penn State Law (for the second time), but one is tempted to conclude that deans must not be very important since schools operate for so long without a permanent appointment in place.

I have to wonder whether the dynamics between the two separately accredited law schools (Penn State Law and Dickinson Law) that PSU operates might be making the dean job in University Park less attractive. I also wonder whether one of Bendapudi's long-range goals might be to divorce Penn State from Dickinson Law. Both questions are complete speculation by me, but the history between Old Main and Carlisle features a fair amount of tension.

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
It's ridiculous how long it takes to hire academic executives like deans. Way too many people in the interview process. It's been a year since Hari Osofsky announced she was leaving for Northwestern Law and no announcement yet of her successor. Probably James Houck is doing a fine job as interim dean of Penn State Law (for the second time), but one is tempted to conclude that deans must not be very important since schools operate for so long without a permanent appointment in place.

I have to wonder whether the dynamics between the two separately accredited law schools (Penn State Law and Dickinson Law) that PSU operates might be making the dean job in University Park less attractive. I also wonder whether one of Bendapudi's long-range goals might be to divorce Penn State from Dickinson Law. Both questions are complete speculation by me, but the history between Old Main and Carlisle features a fair amount of tension.
Wasn't the question of divorce from Dickinson answered the day Penn State split the two apart? However,since Dickinson is doing much better these days perhaps she will keep both law schools? Seems crazy to have two of everything but who would be surprised.

Reactions: step.eng69

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Wasn't the question of divorce from Dickinson answered the day Penn State split the two apart? However,since Dickinson is doing much better these days perhaps she will keep both law schools? Seems crazy to have two of everything but who would be surprised.

I don’t know in what ways Dickinson is “doing much better”, but I noticed that they aren’t coiffed.

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
I don’t know in what ways Dickinson is “doing much better”, but I noticed that they aren’t coiffed.
They used to be ranked around 75 or so and now they're #58 and they were down to approximately 130 students and now they are over 230 students. So, much better.

91Joe95

Oct 6, 2021

And,

Order of the Queef.

Well, that's how I read it.

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
Dickinson's rankings are up and down. In 2014, when a friend of mine applied to Dickinson, they were ranked 51st. He was accepted, but went to Michigan, which is a much better school (typically top 10-20).

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021
season 6 GIF

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021

And,

Order of the Coif? That sounds like what Fred and Barney belonged to back in the day.

L.A.Lion

Oct 28, 2021
Well before Dickinson became affiliated with Penn State, I met a woman in the Shandygaff wearing one of my all time favorite t-shirts, especially on a woman. On the front it said "DICK LAW" and had a logo featuring the school's building and its prominent Independence Hall-looking tower.

On the back it said . . .

Wait for it . . .

"THE HARD LAW SCHOOL".