“Starbucks shares sink 8% as same-store sales fall, quarterly results miss”

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Starbucks is now where The Gap was 20 years ago. They grossly over expanded and are paying the price.

Yeah, seems like the trend is more European bakery/cafe - places like Tate, maman, Yellow - stuff with fresh baked goods that look less corporate (Starbucks hasn’t had a facelift in years) and then cold brew, minimalist places like La Colombe and Compass Coffee (in DC), and IMO the future king of caffeine - Boba Tea (King Fu Tea); my daughter and her friends obsess over Boba (and skincare products at Sephora - invest now folks!).

maman

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Yeah, seems like the trend is more European bakery/cafe - places like Tate, maman, Yellow - stuff with fresh baked goods that look less corporate (Starbucks hasn’t had a facelift in years) and then cold brew, minimalist places like La Colombe and Compass Coffee (in DC), and IMO the future king of caffeine - Boba Tea (King Fu Tea); my daughter and her friends obsess over Boba (and skincare products at Sephora - invest now folks!).

maman

Granted, Starbucks is a chain, but they have had little innovation in their food offerings over the past ten years or so. It is disappointing.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Granted, Starbucks is a chain, but they have had little innovation in their food offerings over the past ten years or so. It is disappointing.

Sure. And they just slap stuff into a toaster oven; if desperate I’ll sometimes get a breakfast sandwich and it tastes like it’s from a hospital. Some of these other places can serve alcohol (wine, beer) too which helps, and their places are bright and airy whereas Starbucks is very dark.

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
Brew your own coffee. If you want it on the run - Dunkin or McDonalds. If you need breakfast food on the run - McDonalds.

If not in a hurry - find a nice local diner and sit down and actually enjoy breakfast w/ out wifi and wannabee hipsters.

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021

maman

The irony is that Starbucks owned La Boulangerie (I think) and basically shuttered it (I think).

They went all in on crappy coffee and mobile orders that jacked their in-store experience. I waited 25 minutes for a latte over the weekend. Never again.

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021

maman

Boba has been the hip thing for years now, and Sephora's time has come and gone (as evidenced by really young girls being into it). It already had its run as the hip luxury brand, starting decades ago, and it's now a mainstream blah brand ... heck, it's in Kohl's now. It's also owned by LVMH.

What's next .... Midnighter's suggestion that we buy into laser discs?

Regardless, Starbucks was never a thing for me. I never had a penchant for sitting down and talking about stuff over coffee. If I'm in a rush and need something for breakfast, or to caffeinate me, I'm just hitting a Dunkin' for some comfort grub/drink. If I have enough time to waste at a Starbucks, I'm making it myself, and I'll do it right.

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
My daughter visited for a few days last week. She used to be aStarbucks girl, every morning buying a $5 mocha chino frappe latte something with soy milk. Dunkin was never an option. Now? Dunkin is fine and half of the gigantic tub of coffee based drink is in the fridge to be tossed the next morning. Maybe the coffee “drink” craze has peaked with too many options out there eating away at the old king? If it is they had a great 30 year run. How do you grow the company without getting into kids drinks and baby food?

I too always found their coffee to taste burnt. I have been a Sheetz and WaWa guy depending on where I found myself during my work day. Always like the free coffee with my frequent shopper card at check out.

Last edited:

PSU Mike

Oct 6, 2021
While we’re at it, Dunkin’s bakery items suck too. The Starbucks thing is funny to me because the quality of the coffee hardly matters to the 51% of customers that put so much $h!t in it. I really think it’s some warped status thing to see how many words it takes to define your order. And no, I’m not opinionated.

Tom_PSU

Oct 29, 2021
While we’re at it, Dunkin’s bakery items suck too. The Starbucks thing is funny to me because the quality of the coffee hardly matters to the 51% of customers that put so much $h!t in it. I really think it’s some warped status thing to see how many words it takes to define your order. And no, I’m not opinionated.
I suspect that everyone receives the exact same drink no matter what you order. The true joy and happiness is in listing the ingredients in a powerful and confident demeanor that demonstrates one’s individuality.

saturdaysarebetter

Jun 28, 2018
I never understood the need to pay for overpriced burnt coffee, but that's just me, and I think you're right PSU Mike. I couldn't remember all the words for the coffee my son wanted. I just want a plain cup of Joe. cup of joe.jpg

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I never understood the need to pay for overpriced burnt coffee, but that's just me, and I think you're right PSU Mike. I couldn't remember all the words for the coffee my son wanted. I just want a plain cup of Joe. View attachment 568420
I’ve always enjoyed my Starbucks coffees, got them often while I was teaching. I’ve thought it was good coffee, but now that I’m retired it’s not worth the price. I can my own self make coffee just as good. It’s not rocket science.

Last edited:

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
My wife reminds me that Maple Donuts in York has good coffee and the best donuts around.

Their original shop and bakery on the east side of York should be a national landmark. Those kidney shaped tables, the counter seats, and outstanding donuts are well worth a stop.

My kids always made a point of stopping in there when they went to York. It is a family tradition.

PSU Mike

Oct 6, 2021
My wife reminds me that Maple Donuts in York has good coffee and the best donuts around.

Their original shop and bakery on the east side of York should be a national landmark. Those kidney shaped tables, the counter seats, and outstanding donuts are well worth a stop.

My kids always made a point of stopping in there when they went to York. It is a family tradition.
Charlie Donut (Burnside) just passed away about a month ago. Used to play York Boys Club sports with his sons. His son Nat threw a 3 hitter against us in HS. Of course I did get two of those hits, with one being a HR 💪🏻💪🏻

Latest posts