“When you've got a good quarterback, you've got a chance”

Phlebitis

Oct 25, 2021
During the Orange Bowl broadcast the sideline reporter mentioned “as Kirby Smart says, when you've got a good quarterback, you've got a chance.” That quote came from a presser before the Mizzou game this year.

"It starts with quarterback play. You look across the league and you say, 'Man, who's playing good in the country?' They've got good quarterbacks, and they've got a good quarterback. When you've got a good quarterback, you've got a chance. He makes too many decisions throughout the game that if he is not making the right decision, you're not going to be in the game.”

He’s not wrong.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
During the Orange Bowl broadcast the sideline reporter mentioned “as Kirby Smart says, when you've got a good quarterback, you've got a chance.” That quote came from a presser before the Mizzou game this year.

"It starts with quarterback play. You look across the league and you say, 'Man, who's playing good in the country?' They've got good quarterbacks, and they've got a good quarterback. When you've got a good quarterback, you've got a chance. He makes too many decisions throughout the game that if he is not making the right decision, you're not going to be in the game.”

He’s not wrong.
He’s absolutely right. I’ve said it a few times the last few years. The only thing keeping PSU from getting over the hump was an elite QB. You put Justin Fields in a PSU uniform during his time in college and I think PSU beats OSU and Michigan a few times.

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
He’s absolutely right. I’ve said it a few times the last few years. The only thing keeping PSU from getting over the hump was an elite QB. You put Justin Fields in a PSU uniform during his time in college and I think PSU beats OSU and Michigan a few times.
I agree and you need to have that QB be multi-dimentional within the framework of the offense.

watching the Tennessee v Iowa game we see what people expect from a 5* QB playing as a FR. Bo Nix was a 5* as a project and probably a good example of being in a system that was never going to develop him. He goes to Oregon = a new game. The expectation of 5* QB is immediate results.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

He’s not wrong.

One of the worst things to happen this year - and this observation was noted on the podcast Audrey Snyder does - is that we have no idea how good Drew Allar is because of the issues at WR and OC. Hopefully there will be upgrades there next year, but OL will be younger and less experienced.

WVilleLion23

Oct 27, 2022
Sadly, I think Clifford with this year’s D, team would have stolen at least one of the games against OSU and Michigan.

In some ways it reminds me of NC State the year after Philip Rivers graduated. NC State had an amazing defense, but their O was pedestrian at best at QB.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Sadly, I think Clifford with this year’s D, team would have stolen at least one of the games against OSU and Michigan.

In some ways it reminds me of NC State the year after Philip Rivers graduated. NC State had an amazing defense, but their O was pedestrian at best at QB.
You may be right. In hindsight, I think Clifford was underappreciated, at least, I may have a bit, although, I was glad to see him come back last year. I think it’s clear now that Clifford was the leader of the offense.

Last edited:

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
I agree and you need to have that QB be multi-dimentional within the framework of the offense.

watching the Tennessee v Iowa game we see what people expect from a 5* QB playing as a FR. Bo Nix was a 5* as a project and probably a good example of being in a system that was never going to develop him. He goes to Oregon = a new game. The expectation of 5* QB is immediate results.
You are right, the expectation for the 5 star QB is immediate results, but I don’t think that is realistic in most cases. Looking at the QB landscape this year, the older, more experienced QBs seemed to be a lot more successful. You mentioned Nix. He’ll be 24 next month. To put that in perspective, he’s just 2 years younger than Justin Herbert and Herbert has been in the NFL four years now. As of the end of October, Nix set a NCAA record for most career starts with 54. Sam Hartman is 24 and is only 1 start behind Nix. Penix Jr is 23. Jordan Travis is 23. Caleb Williams is 22. Jayden Daniels is 23. Other than Williams, most of these guys needed some time to get comfortable, mature, and get the results they wanted. It’s important to remember that Drew Allar is still only 19 with 13 starts under his belt. He has all the tools and he didn’t have the WRs to make him look good this year. I’m anxious to see what the new OC has planned for Allar and the offense next year.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021

He’s not wrong.

Drew Allar laughs at Kirby Smart.

Georgia Peach

Oct 28, 2021

The expectation of a five star QB is being drafted in the first round, just like the other five stars from various positions. That is why there are only 32 designated as such by the rating services. It matches the 32 NFL teams. Or so I have been told.

Reactions: LionJim

Georgia Peach

Oct 28, 2021
You are right, the expectation for the 5 star QB is immediate results, but I don’t think that is realistic in most cases. Looking at the QB landscape this year, the older, more experienced QBs seemed to be a lot more successful. You mentioned Nix. He’ll be 24 next month. To put that in perspective, he’s just 2 years younger than Justin Herbert and Herbert has been in the NFL four years now. As of the end of October, Nix set a NCAA record for most career starts with 54. Sam Hartman is 24 and is only 1 start behind Nix. Penix Jr is 23. Jordan Travis is 23. Caleb Williams is 22. Jayden Daniels is 23. Other than Williams, most of these guys needed some time to get comfortable, mature, and get the results they wanted. It’s important to remember that Drew Allar is still only 19 with 13 starts under his belt. He has all the tools and he didn’t have the WRs to make him look good this year. I’m anxious to see what the new OC has planned for Allar and the offense next year.
This. I don't know how we can fairly judge Allar given a WR room that by comparison with all others at PSU has to rank up there with the worst. Given the reports of the WR's not wanting to do the extra work (like throwing with Drew outside of formal practices) it's no wonder the kids don't know the routes, run poor routes, and instill no confidence in the QB or staff.

That said, Drew has to grow and mature into the leader the team expects.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Trace was pretty good- our last great one was Collins- 30 years ago.
Trace was great for those teams. I can never ever imagine Allar making a throw like Trace did to Juwan Johnson to win the Iowa game. Allar would not throw it or be late in letting it go. That is what I have observed of him this past year. I’m no football coach but I can see he does not have the “it” factor that a great college QB needs.

RochLion

Oct 29, 2021
That was not Clark. It was Michael Robinson vs. Minnesota.

Was at that game and can remember that play vividly. At first I thought it was Robinson that took the brunt of the hit but then it was apparent the defender was down. Still cringe watching it.

ChandlerPearce

Jan 23, 2022
Trace was pretty good- our last great one was Collins- 30 years ago.
But Collins wasn't great his Jr season....not until he became a Sr was he great. Lets give DA a little slack and time....however it is remarkable we do not have an actual QB coach....or is Danny O'Brien filling that role as an Offensive Grad Asst?

Georgia Peach

Oct 28, 2021
Trace was great for those teams. I can never ever imagine Allar making a throw like Trace did to Juwan Johnson to win the Iowa game. Allar would not throw it or be late in letting it go. That is what I have observed of him this past year. I’m no football coach but I can see he does not have the “it” factor that a great college QB needs.
Watching the games this year I see a marked difference when Allar is throwing to the TE's compared to when he throws to the WR's. The TE throws are into tight windows, often lead the TE, and are accurate. With the WR's the throws were of lesser quality. I think part of the problem was a lack of confidence in the WR's and a lack of anticipating where in the hell they were going.

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
One of the worst things to happen this year - and this observation was noted on the podcast Audrey Snyder does - is that we have no idea how good Drew Allar is because of the issues at WR and OC. Hopefully there will be upgrades there next year, but OL will be younger and less experienced.
I think I have a pretty good idea how good Allar is.

Richmin3

Dec 1, 2021
Watching the games this year I see a marked difference when Allar is throwing to the TE's compared to when he throws to the WR's. The TE throws are into tight windows, often lead the TE, and are accurate. With the WR's the throws were of lesser quality. I think part of the problem was a lack of confidence in the WR's and a lack of anticipating where in the hell they were going.
I think we can say that Allar’s lack of confidence stems from the leaky O line play.

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
In his 7th year of eligibility? Clifford goes 5-3/4 seasons stinking up the joint, has a good bowl game and now you're anointing him as some kind of super QB? :rolleyes:

Georgia Peach

Oct 28, 2021
In his 7th year of eligibility? Clifford goes 5-3/4 seasons stinking up the joint, has a good bowl game and now you're anointing him as some kind of super QB? :rolleyes:
Short memories. For years we lamented that Cliff did not measure up to the studs quarterbacking teams like tOSU. Then we get a 5 star and seemingly don't know what to do with him and we saddle him with WR's that are not anywhere near the quality necessary to win.

Alphalion75

Oct 21, 2021
Short memories. For years we lamented that Cliff did not measure up to the studs quarterbacking teams like tOSU. Then we get a 5 star and seemingly don't know what to do with him and we saddle him with WR's that are not anywhere near the quality necessary to win.
Yep, poor planning on Franklin's staff. Cephus was overrated and I believe yhey did not try hard enough to keep Parker Washington.