1-4 now after a 5-0 start….is that elite?

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
I like Franklin as a man. He has good values and says all the right things. But this staff under him is the General Motors of college football. They consistently do less with more and they have a deserved reputation for it in coaching circles.

The untimely gaffes are consistent and so is the lack of clutch play without a generational talent

Younger players consistently out play upper class men, which points to systematic development failures.

This staff consistently fails to beat evenly-matched opponents and routinely loses to 1-2 over matched opponents due to failures in scheme and game prep.

This isn’t going to suddenly change under James’ leadership. He’s 8 years in. He is what he is. We better hope he finds a few more Saquons and can just our talent teams for a stretch.

danvillenit

Oct 30, 2021
I don’t believe anyone in the program has used the word elite in four years except a few posters

Alphalion75

Oct 21, 2021
Here's a thought....what do 3 of our best defensive players have in common? They are all transfers. Brisker from jc, AK and Tangelo portal transfers. I have contended that Franklin does not develop players. These 3 obviously were already coached up prior to transferring in.

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
He issued that challenge to himself and has failed miserably at meeting it. Why would he use the term again when he’s running full speed in the other direction?
It was the dumbest statement ever made by a Penn State football coach. He owns it. It will be on his tombstone

Reactions: MacNit

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
I like Franklin as a man. He has good values and says all the right things. But this staff under him is the General Motors of college football. They consistently do less with more and they have a deserved reputation for it in coaching circles.

The untimely gaffes are consistent and so is the lack of clutch play without a generational talent

Younger players consistently out play upper class men, which points to systematic development failures.

This staff consistently fails to beat evenly-matched opponents and routinely loses to 1-2 over matched opponents due to failures in scheme and game prep.

This isn’t going to suddenly change under James’ leadership. He’s 8 years in. He is what he is. We better hope he finds a few more Saquons and can just our talent teams for a stretch.
So you think Brisker is lousy and Mustipher too before his injury? Got it v

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021
Here's a thought....what do 3 of our best defensive players have in common? They are all transfers. Brisker from jc, AK and Tangelo portal transfers. I have contended that Franklin does not develop players. These 3 obviously were already coached up prior to transferring in.

Brisker has improved a lot since he got here.

AK and Tangelo have done more for their draft prospects here than they did at their previous homes.

5th year guys play well. Hmm. Strange concept.

Reactions: GregInPitt

Alphalion75

Oct 21, 2021
Brisker has improved a lot since he got here.

AK and Tangelo have done more for their draft prospects here than they did at their previous homes.

5th year guys play well. Hmm. Strange concept.
Agreed. If one coach deserves a little credit, it's our defensive secondary coach.

Reactions: nepalion

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
So you think Brisker is lousy and Mustipher too before his injury? Got it v
No. I didn’t say either was lousy. Brisker supports my lack of player development point. He transferred in. Mustipher is a real bright spot. His injury was unfortunate and again underlines the lack of player development at DT.

Reactions: nepalion

Psu00

Oct 12, 2021
James is gonna get some things cleaned up for next week…..Again
James is going to SAY he is gonna get some things cleaned up for next week.

The problem is that we will see the same mistakes next week, and the week after, and……..

Reactions: psuno1

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021
He gets four games for free right?
With 3 left, it can't hurt. Tengwall. Christ. Anybody on the chart at RT. Give em a shot.
Agreed. I believe one the issues with that is I don't believe the OL and OC are on the same page. If I hired an OC, I would let him bring in, if possible, his OL coach.
Maybe. Definitely couldn't hurt compared to what we have done.

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
Just hard to swallow the complete mediocrity of this program
to be fair, this team is not close to the team that best Wisky and Auburn early. The team was always very good, and with every body ready to play at full strength it is an excellent team. the loss of PJ was always a concern, and has shown. The DEF plays with determination but is not the same as with PJ. We have no similar player. anyone can see that Clifford is not the same since before the injury. he never was back 100% and now looks to be pretty beat up again. how many RBs do we have a full strength - not sure any are. this team is very beat up and the schedule was always going to present that risk.

IF we could have opened with every player on the roster available and at 100%, on that day we would have beaten OSU in Columbus. Imagine Isaac, Beamon, PJ all there at full strength. Wormley at OG. All the RBs at true 100% - Cain equal to the guy of 2019, etc. That PSU team beats OSU.

The team was never is in a position to have some of the injuries we have had. Even today, Ellies got hurt and left - when he returned you could see something was wrong. Even the guys playing are hurt. Injures and lost players may be part of the game and it has hurt PSU more than most teams (i.e. Levis would allow Clifford to be hurt and leave game but now we have nobody to backup SC).

Reactions: ps_1294

HpyVly

Nov 2, 2021
James is gonna get some things cleaned up for next week…..Again
To quote a student walking out of the stadium this afternoon…..”well Franklin was successful this week, now he has 6 days to figure out how he is going to F up the Rutgers game.”

nepalion

Oct 31, 2021
to be fair, this team is not close to the team that best Wisky and Auburn early. The team was always very good, and with every body ready to play at full strength it is an excellent team. the loss of PJ was always a concern, and has shown. The DEF plays with determination but is not the same as with PJ. We have no similar player. anyone can see that Clifford is not the same since before the injury. he never was back 100% and now looks to be pretty beat up again. how many RBs do we have a full strength - not sure any are. this team is very beat up and the schedule was always going to present that risk.

IF we could have opened with every player on the roster available and at 100%, on that day we would have beaten OSU in Columbus. Imagine Isaac, Beamon, PJ all there at full strength. Wormley at OG. All the RBs at true 100% - Cain equal to the guy of 2019, etc. That PSU team beats OSU.

The team was never is in a position to have some of the injuries we have had. Even today, Ellies got hurt and left - when he returned you could see something was wrong. Even the guys playing are hurt. Injures and lost players may be part of the game and it has hurt PSU more than most teams (i.e. Levis would allow Clifford to be hurt and leave game but now we have nobody to backup SC).
never thought i would say this, but what is full strength for a psu running back? also, the injuries...does the volume of them imply issue with our strength training program?

Reactions: Goldbanger

LealandLoyal

Oct 29, 2021

IF ifs and buts were candy and nuts, every day would be Christmas!

84lion

Oct 7, 2021
to be fair, this team is not close to the team that best Wisky and Auburn early.
Yesterday Wisconsin won their sixth straight game to go 7-3. They are in position to win the B1G West.

Auburn dropped their game to Miss. St. yesterday, to go to 6-4, same record as Penn State. Auburn and PSU will probably both wind up 7-5.

Put Wisconsin down to schedule (B1G West)? Maybe, but Wisconsin won over Illinois and Iowa, which Penn State didn't do. Both PSU and Wisc lost to Michigan.
Auburn - schedule too, maybe, they lost to Georgia and TAMU, and as noted, lost to MSU yesterday.

Wisconsin - trending up
Auburn - trending down
Penn State - trending down

It should also be noted that UM also beat Nebraska at Lincoln by a mere FG. So, does that make PSU a similar-strength team to 3-7 Nebraska?

What's the answer? Don't know, there are a lot of variables...but I feel pretty confident in predicting that Auburn will make a HC change before PSU does!

dcf4psu

Oct 25, 2021
Just hard to swallow the complete mediocrity of this program
The truth is that this cannot be very surprising. We all knew after Villanova that unless PSU found a running game fast there was trouble on the horizon. With that said there still is no excuse for the Illinois loss.

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
never thought i would say this, but what is full strength for a psu running back? also, the injuries...does the volume of them imply issue with our strength training program?
pure speculation on my part, but we MAY have changed some things in S&C during COVID. I have no proof, but I heard Saban say they modified some things in their S&C and he was not happy.

PSUForever

Nov 6, 2021

Completely agree. We are stuck with him and mediocrity until the impasse is broken where he is canned or they simply let his contract expire or he completes a "good" 9-3 season and gets a HC gig somewhere. I don't think any contract extensions are happening for him with this piss poor product he shovels out so eventually he will be gone. In the meantime we can dream about 6-6 to possibly 9-3 and if all the stars align a 10-2 season thrown in there. I just hope the powers that be are not so stupid that if he does manage a 10-2 season with obligatory loss to O$U and then take your pick....scUM, MSU, Iowa, Wisky or some other random crap B10 West team (ya know it's coming) that he does not get some ridiculous contact extension. We have seen the future withe good ole James and it is mediocre, uninspired football. As you say, getting less out of talent than pretty much any other program.

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021
Completely agree. We are stuck with him and mediocrity until the impasse is broken where he is canned or they simply let his contract expire or he completes a "good" 9-3 season and gets a HC gig somewhere. I don't think any contract extensions are happening for him with this piss poor product he shovels out so eventually he will be gone. In the meantime we can dream about 6-6 to possibly 9-3 and if all the stars align a 10-2 season thrown in there. I just hope the powers that be are not so stupid that if he does manage a 10-2 season with obligatory loss to O$U and then take your pick....scUM, MSU, Iowa, Wisky or some other random crap B10 West team (ya know it's coming) that he does not get some ridiculous contact extension. We have seen the future withe good ole James and it is mediocre, uninspired football. As you say, getting less out of talent than pretty much any other program.
Uninspired and soft…the writing is on the wall. The Lettermen are embarrassed by both.