133 Next Year?

412Mike

Oct 12, 2021
How do you fill this potential massive hole when all the best recruits are already accounted for.

crockster

Oct 31, 2021
Good question... Transfer portal seems to be the best option as you look at our current roster today
unless RBY comes back.

Reactions: dicemen99

412Mike

Oct 12, 2021
“IF” this is tru, I wonder if Cael would have had a better chance in landing Mendez or Bouzakis if those kids knew there was an immediate opening.
Full court press in getting someone to flip! tOSU doesn’t need both of them, that’s just being greedy.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
“IF” this is tru, I wonder if Cael would have had a better chance in landing Mendez or Bouzakis if those kids knew there was an immediate opening.
Full court press in getting someone to flip! tOSU doesn’t need both of them, that’s just being greedy.
Not gonna happen. Mendez has outgrown 133, and there was some scuttlebutt that Bouzakis was less interested in PSU than in using PSU to leverage a better deal elsewhere.

backdrft76

Oct 11, 2021
But seriously, in the absence of recruiting, transfers, etc., RoHo at 133 and Steen or others at 125.

Thats IF Robbie can come back and stay healthy for a few years, if he even goes up a weight. I wouldn't bet on Steen putting up massive points at Nationals. Hopefully they're looking for a blue chip 125 and 133 in next year's recruiting class. We missed on a few recruits in recent years so hopefully that gets turned around. The other possible issue is Kirkvliet leaving? We seem to be heavy in some weights while light in others. Still shocked that we went 4 for 4 on Saturday night back in March, had some recruits in for Officials, and only got 1. I also figured Beau would still be undersized for 149 and RS. Definitely gonna be an interesting year to see it all play out.

McScoreley

Oct 31, 2021
Robbie will be 125 and in theory we can afford a hole at 133 (since we're in great shape at other weights) but it still sucks since we were expecting a champion at that weight but it's how it goes.

I doubt Cael is finding out about RBY planning for this to be his last year today, he's probably had a good idea about it for a while. Transfer portal can be one option for sure.

Reactions: McPat

SonnyAbeFan

Oct 30, 2021
Thats IF Robbie can come back and stay healthy for a few years, if he even goes up a weight. I wouldn't bet on Steen putting up massive points at Nationals. Hopefully they're looking for a blue chip 125 and 133 in next year's recruiting class. We missed on a few recruits in recent years so hopefully that gets turned around. The other possible issue is Kirkvliet leaving? We seem to be heavy in some weights while light in others. Still shocked that we went 4 for 4 on Saturday night back in March, had some recruits in for Officials, and only got 1. I also figured Beau would still be undersized for 149 and RS. Definitely gonna be an interesting year to see it all play out.
Wow, backdrft76, enjoy the upcoming season and don’t worry about next season for at least another week or two. And when I start worrying, I always remember: In Cael I Trust.

Reactions: Lumps Pajamas

McPat

Oct 31, 2021
Someone said the other day that the coaches see Robbie as 4 year 125 lber. I would have thought he fits in nicely at 133 when RBY is done.

nerfstate

Oct 11, 2021

azchief32

Oct 30, 2021
It's true...at least right now. RBY will have his degree in May and wants to jump into MMA full bore. It sucks for the PSU team goals because thats probably close to at least 15-25 points. However, Iowa will be inexperienced at 125-141 so the RBY thing hits at the right time regarding PSU vs Hawks. Was really looking forward to seeing what he could do on the senior level but if he can take a punch, he will be a star in MMA. He has done it all right: Wrestled for 4 years, graduated in 4 years. Lots to be lauded there.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
Don't know why it would be so shocking that we only got 1 top recruit this year. It's happened 3 other years with Cael (Zain, Cenzo, Carter). And the team is exceptionally young, lots of reasons for prospects to go elsewhere.

Next year could be a strong recruiting class -- we know Cael is in on Meyer Shapiro (157), Jim Mullen (HWT), Gabe Arnold (184-ish), Josh Barr (174/184), AJ Heeg (197) -- and that's just who we know of. So far. Tyler Kasak (149-ish) should surprise nobody, given his mat success and years of commuting from Doylestown to M2. Would not be surprised in the least if Cael is looking hard at Marc-Anthony McGowan (125), especially if he sees McGowan or Howard at 133.

Alternating class sizes would be typical. The year after Zain, we got Nolf, Nickal, Nevills, Rasheed, and Cassar. The year after Cenzo: Hall, Suriano, Manville. The year after Carter: Howard, Bartlett, Matt Lee, Boone.

crockster

Oct 31, 2021
Don't know why it would be so shocking that we only got 1 top recruit this year. It's happened 3 other years with Cael (Zain, Cenzo, Carter). And the team is exceptionally young, lots of reasons for prospects to go elsewhere.

Next year could be a strong recruiting class -- we know Cael is in on Meyer Shapiro (157), Jim Mullen (HWT), Gabe Arnold (184-ish), Josh Barr (174/184), AJ Heeg (197) -- and that's just who we know of. So far. Tyler Kasak (149-ish) should surprise nobody, given his mat success and years of commuting from Doylestown to M2. Would not be surprised in the least if Cael is looking hard at Marc-Anthony McGowan (125), especially if he sees McGowan or Howard at 133.

Alternating class sizes would be typical. The year after Zain, we got Nolf, Nickal, Nevills, Rasheed, and Cassar. The year after Cenzo: Hall, Suriano, Manville. The year after Carter: Howard, Bartlett, Matt Lee, Boone.
I would agree. I have no problem with one recruit when we are so young as a team. We have done it many times as you point out. The only exception might be a recruit for 133 since RBY will be leaving. . However Cael is a great coach and certainly trust him. No reason not to.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
I would agree. I have no problem with one recruit when we are so young as a team. We have done it many times as you point out. The only exception might be a recruit for 133 since RBY will be leaving. . However Cael is a great coach and certainly trust him. No reason not to.
Agreed, right up until we look at the potential 133s in the 2022 class. If the coaches think they can get Steen to 133, then Bouzakis and Troy Spratley might be the only clearly better prospects.

Not sure if/how much Spratley considered PSU. IIRC he went Goofer shortly after moving from Seminary to Oklahoma.

Joey Cruz might have been, but his stock has dropped some this year + PSU was not one of his finalists.

Maybe Finn Solomon? Though it's not clear to me that he's as good a prospect as Steen, or that he can stay at 133. And again, not sure if/how much he considered PSU. IIRC he committed to NC State very early.

Unless I'm missing someone, 2022 133 drops off pretty quickly after that.

Reactions: backdrft76

crockster

Oct 31, 2021
Agree. I realize that the sample size is small, but I was impressed with David’s “presentation” at the Clarion Open.

Based on that small sample, I like his upside.
Agreed, right up until we look at the potential 133s in the 2022 class. If the coaches think they can get Steen to 133, then Bouzakis and Troy Spratley might be the only clearly better prospects.

Not sure if/how much Spratley considered PSU. IIRC he went Goofer shortly after moving from Seminary to Oklahoma.

Joey Cruz might have been, but his stock has dropped some this year + PSU was not one of his finalists.

Maybe Finn Solomon? Though it's not clear to me that he's as good a prospect as Steen, or that he can stay at 133. And again, not sure if/how much he considered PSU. IIRC he committed to NC State very early.

Unless I'm missing someone, 2022 133 drops off pretty quickly after that.
Don't disagree with anything you said. Not ideal recruiting class. He'll get his 133 lber. It will be interesting to see how Steen develops at PS. A lot PS fans wrote off Teske his RS year and look at him now. Kids did develop differently.

McPat

Oct 31, 2021
Don't disagree with anything you said. Not ideal recruiting class. He'll get his 133 lber. It will be interesting to see how Steen develops at PS. A lot PS fans wrote off Teske his RS year and look at him now. Kids did develop differently.
Ant the Champ was 10-8 against rostered D1 wrestlers (and 15-8 overall) in open tournaments under redshirt as a true freshman. As you say... we need to let things develop. Not everyone is Mark Hall.

McScoreley

Oct 31, 2021
It's true...at least right now. RBY will have his degree in May and wants to jump into MMA full bore. It sucks for the PSU team goals because thats probably close to at least 15-25 points. However, Iowa will be inexperienced at 125-141 so the RBY thing hits at the right time regarding PSU vs Hawks. Was really looking forward to seeing what he could do on the senior level but if he can take a punch, he will be a star in MMA. He has done it all right: Wrestled for 4 years, graduated in 4 years. Lots to be lauded there.
Just noticed you are the chief of a new state now, congratulations on your new position! :cool:

Oct 31, 2021
Hildebrandt 125 this year, Gilman 133 next year. I'm in.
Gilman s the man! What he s accomplished on and off the mat is inspiring ! Such inner strength , faith and maturity ! loving life , family and w wrestling having “fun” ! World Champion! Great for Nick , RBY , Howard etc.
But I ll just take Drew this year ! Strong , smart wrestler . Look at all he s accomplished! Now add Cael , Cody and his fellow Central Michigan alum Casey! I ll take him in “ any” match! Any oppt that underestimates him is in for a rude awakening! This is a bigger get than Wick imo. Let s Go!!!!!
w RBY I think his decision may have to do w how this year plays out. 133 loaded but imo he s on top. Whatever he decides I wish him all the best! Has all the tools to be a great success in life! If he leaves we ll just have to trust the process. Worked pretty well the last 11 years or so!

Oct 31, 2021
Call me crazy, but I believe our 2023 133 pounder will be the 2 time defending National Champ RBY.
U r not crazy and life is dynamic.
I m with you but I think if he wins a NC again this year it d be more likely he leaves. He s a competitor and an elite athlete like RBY will wanna go out on top. I hope he does what s best for him and his future . But saying that I really want him to stay. ( I m sure there s a plan for either reality- I trust it!) We can speculate about all this but today’s the big day. Christmas comes early! Another season ! Let s Go RBY and PSU!!!!!!!!

Reactions: JA1339

jbeldingk

Oct 7, 2021
A quick survey of portal candidates… not looking great. Maybe a Taylor Lamont or Brandon Courtney wants to eat and head east. 133 looks a pretty barren in terms of possible transfers

Oct 31, 2021
A quick survey of portal candidates… not looking great. Maybe a Taylor Lamont or Brandon Courtney wants to eat and head east. 133 looks a pretty barren in terms of possible transfers
Let s see how the HS and college seasons play out. Too early . Transfer portal will change in terms of who we think is a good get. Other names Chris Cannon ( Kennedy could help but NW education is the hurdle imo, Lucas Byrd etc.,) Lamont and Courtney are real good. If we r looking for another RBY we won t find that . But their r options. Big question in all of this is RH a career 125?

SonnyAbeFan

Oct 30, 2021
Let s see how the HS and college seasons play out. Too early . Transfer portal will change in terms of who we think is a good get. Other names Chris Cannon ( Kennedy could help but NW education is the hurdle imo, Lucas Byrd etc.,) Lamont and Courtney are real good. If we r looking for another RBY we won t find that . But their r options. Big question in all of this is RH a career 125?
I’ll raise you and say bigger question is can RH get and stay healthy

Reactions: Stevej
Oct 31, 2021
I’ll raise you and say bigger question is can RH get and stay healthy
Excellent point Sonny. I ll answer yes and yes. Robert is a great kid! He s a team guy! So competitive he sometimes needs to be held bk. I know RH from his Berg Cath days. Big heart! Smart and talent off the charts! DH give him chance to heal and develop . He s a natural . Give Cael Cody Casey time w him ! Watch out. Last year he was not fully himself - 60 %? . Great wrestler even better person! Guy u want as a team mate. Sky s the limit. Let’s Go PSU !
Season almost here! Yes Be well Sonny !
Never thought I d get to exchange wrestling ideas w Sonny Abe! Lol
We are………

Reactions: JA1339