2/15: 2nd NCAA Coaches' Poll & 1st RPI Rankings released

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
this is the 2nd Coaches' Poll, and the 1st RPI. The 3rd Poll and the 2nd RPI will be released on 2/29, and will determine the actual NCAA Championship allocations.

The Poll and the RPI can be found at the below link. A quick overview as it pertains to PSU:

Coaches' Poll
125: Braeden Davis - 6th
133: Aaron Nagao - 10th
141: Beau Bartlett - 1st
149: Tyler Kasak - 7th
157: Levi Haines - 1st
165: Mitchell Mesenbrink - 6th
174: Carter Starocci - 1st
184: Bernie Truax - 10th
197: Aaron Brooks - 1st
285: Greg Kerkvliet - 1st

RPI Ranking
165: Mitchell Mesenbrink - 2nd

PSU is barely represented in the RPI, as there is a 15-match threshold to be entered into the RPI, and even PSU's starters are below that number of matches, unless they also competed in a tournament.

Reactions: hohmadw1978

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022
Some of the starters can't afford to miss anymore matches if they want to have an rpi for seeding purposes at nationals

There is one regular season bout (@ Nebraska?) left, then the B1G's, correct? While I believe Cael builds the team to peak in the NCAA tourney, rather than the B1G tournament, I also believe our guys will get plenty of matches at the latter.*

*Opinion of a slightly informed wrestling fan. Not endorsed by any party or candidate.

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
Nebraska and Edinboro. May only get 4 in big ten. Kasak, Starocci and Kerk only have 10. Any forfeits and byes don't count.

Last edited:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Some of the starters can't afford to miss anymore matches if they want to have an rpi for seeding purposes at nationals

Yeah, there's only 2 duals left before the final Poll & RPI.

The starter's records:

125: Davis, 15-1 (7 of them were in the Journeyman Classic or the Black Knight Invitational, and I'm not sure how many of them count as official matches)
133: Nagao, 9-4 (4 of which were in the Black Knight Invitational; see above concern)
141: Bartlett, 16-0, (7 of which were at the Journeyman or the Black Knight; see above)
149: Kasak, 12-2 (8 of which were in the Black Knight or Mat-Town; see above)
157: Haines, 13-0 (3 of which were at the Journeyman; see above)
165: Mesenbrink, 17-0 (7 of which were at Journey or Black Knight; enough of them must have counted, as he's in the RPI which was released today)
174: Starocci, 10-0 (3 of which were at the Journeyman; see above)
184: Truax, 10-2 (3 of which were at the Journeyman; see above)
197: Brooks, 12-0 (3 of which were at the Journeyman; see above)
285: Kerk, 10-0 (3 of which were at the Journeyman; see above)

I don't think there are many opens left (like, hardly any) that some of the guys could enter to boost their numbers.

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
Yeah, there's only 2 duals left before the final Poll & RPI.

The starter's records:

125: Davis, 15-1 (7 of them were in the Journeyman Classic or the Black Knight Invitational, and I'm not sure how many of them count as official matches)
133: Nagao, 9-4 (4 of which were in the Black Knight Invitational; see above concern)
141: Bartlett, 16-0, (7 of which were at the Journeyman or the Black Knight; see above)
149: Kasak, 12-2 (8 of which were in the Black Knight or Mat-Town; see above)
157: Haines, 13-0 (3 of which were at the Journeyman; see above)
165: Mesenbrink, 17-0 (7 of which were at Journey or Black Knight; enough of them must have counted, as he's in the RPI which was released today)
174: Starocci, 10-0 (3 of which were at the Journeyman; see above)
184: Truax, 10-2 (3 of which were at the Journeyman; see above)
197: Brooks, 12-0 (3 of which were at the Journeyman; see above)
285: Kerk, 10-0 (3 of which were at the Journeyman; see above)

I don't think there are many opens left (like, hardly any) that some of the guys could enter to boost their numbers.
Kasak had, I think 4 of his at 141. I think Invitational are fine as long as they are against division 1 wrestlers and at their post season weight.

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
I think everything was done before the weekend matches like the first coaches poll. That would be why only mesenbrink would qualify.

Oct 26, 2021
I think everything was done before the weekend matches like the first coaches poll. That would be why only mesenbrink would qualify.
They included everything through February 11th. The only duals that are not included are the Penn State/Rutgers dual Monday and both Appalachian State duals today.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

1Maddog

Oct 31, 2021
They included everything through February 11th. The only duals that are not included are the Penn State/Rutgers dual Monday and both Appalachian State duals today.
Also, bouts against teammates are not counted. Beau had one against Kasak and I think Davis had one against Steen.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Also, bouts against teammates are not counted. Beau had one against Kasak and I think Davis had one against Steen.

Davis wrestled Steen at the Journeyman Classic.

Bartlett wrestled Kasak at the Black Knight Invitational.

Kasak wrestled David Evans at the Black Knight Invitational and the Mat-Town Open II. He also wrestled Bartlett at the Black Knight Invitational.

Mesenbrink wrestled Barraclough at the Black Knight Invitational.

That's it, in terms of PSU starters and matches against teammates.

Reactions: 1Maddog

CowbellMan

Feb 1, 2024

Kasak wrestled David Evans at the Black Knight Invitational and the Mat-Town Open II. He also wrestled Bartlett at the Black Knight Invitational.

Of course I’m happy we win all the marbles…..but it would be so much more fun to see just a few more matches on the schedule. I don’t need the days of 30 regular season matches….but a few more would be nice so this isn’t ever an issue and helps the seeding process for everyone

Oct 26, 2021
Well, matches against teammates don't count, period, for any purposes. Rule 9.6.4 specifically says that bouts against teammates are not supposed to appear on the In-Season Record Form.

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
I think a lot of theses rules stem from iowa state's infamous last chance tournament.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023

Tom,
How many matches must you have to be eligible for the big ten tournament ?