2021 College Football Pick'Em

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Once again, I invite you to join the College Football Pick'Em. We took a hiatus last year due to the pandemic, but we've conducted a College Football Pick'Em since 2001, if I recall correctly. As always, the competition is just for bragging rights. There is no entry fee to participate, and you don't win any money for winning the College Football Pick'Em.

To join, CLICK HERE
(https://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/college)

I caution again that the process I go through to set up a group is not the same as someone that is joining a group. As such, I'm not certain of the order of the process, so if any of the below is out of sequence, please post a corrected order and I'll edit this post.

From the above LINK, select the Join a Group pushbutton

From the Join Group screen, go to the right side.

In the Group ID# field, enter: 5230

In the Password field, enter "pennstate"

Then, select the Join Group pushbutton

At this point, you'll have to create a handle. In Yahoo's lingo, that is your "Pick Set Name." Please try to use your board handle as your Pick Set Name. (Note: I believe the default is to have your e-mail address viewable to all. If you don't want this, then deselect that option.)

I've opted for the weekly slate of games to be:

- the Yahoo default games AND the B1G conference games AND the Top 25 games

- tie-breakers will be used each week

- you get to drop your 2 worst scores for the overall competition (season-long)

- the deadline for entering selections is 5 minutes before the start of a game

I have not opted to pick against the point spread, or to rank your games by your confidence level.

If we look back at the 2019 season-long competition, these were the final standings:
1st - rotzc
2nd - SW Fla Lion
3rd - fairgambit and MontereyLion tied
4th – Yours truly
5th – For the Glory!, LeatherHelmet, and harjeff tied
6th – lein
7th – twak, RWCStateFan, and Safety Blitz tied
8th – NittanyLionFan's Picks and mttopchuck tied
9th – swfmike, NitneLiun's Crystal Ball, PSU Paul, and bytir tied
10th – Nittany.Lion, Offside Clyde, and PSU Toronto tied

The competition does not start until Sep. 3rd, but Week 1's slate is now posted.

Best of luck to all that play!

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Week 1

jdbryan23 (I'm not sure who that is) took the honors in the opening week, with a score of 23. mttopchuck took second, with 22 points. AtlantaLion, PSUHarry33, Bob78, michlion, CanioPSU, trz103, and PSU Paul tied for 3rd, with 21 points. 15 contestants (too many to mention by handle) tied for 4th, with 20 points.

I don't post the results of the season-long competition unit week 3 or week 4.

In the big competition, oops, it appears that @twak did not sign up for this year's Pick'Em.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Week 2

It was a big slate (42 games), Obliviax bested the field, with an impressive 38 points. Major Hoople, ewb75, Split_T, For The Glory, AustinLion, PSU Paul, and Nittany Lion tied for 2nd, with 37 points. 10 competitors tied for 3rd, with 36 points.

In the big competition, ugh, it seems that @twak still has not joined this year's Pick'Em.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Week 3

Nittanyfarmer topped the field, with 28 points. Nittany.Lion and bluewhite22 tied for 2nd, with 27 points. Coach Fun, AtlantaLion, Ralphie_, Split_T, psu621, Jeraderman, mttopchuck, NittanyLionFan, Neil's Picks, PhDpat, ncwref, BiochemPSU, and Fac tied for 3rd, with 25 points.

In the real competition, twak finally got off the sidelines and joined this season's Pick'Em. I'm not sure if it was first-week luck, or pure skill, but twak bested me, 25 points to 23 points. :(

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Week 4

RWCStateFan, Ralphie_, PhDpat, and 81b&w had the highest marks, with 29 points. Due to the tiebreakers, RWCStateFan was the winner. NitneLiun, BiochemPSU, cigarowl, Faraway1, PSURocket, Offside Clyde, AtlantaLion, ncwref, PhillyBillyReprise, SW Fla Lion, NorCal Lion,, lionville, mttopchuck, and PSU IE 97 tied for 2nd place, with 28 points. Congrats to the aforementioned, and major kudos to RWCStateFan for doing so well with all the upsets that took place in the slate of Week 4 games.

In the season-long competition, RWCStateFan sits atop the leaderboard, with 65 points. Ralphie_, NitneLiun, NorCal Lion, PSU Paul, AustinLion, Split_T, ewb75, and Nittany.Lion are tied for 2nd, with 64 points. PhDpat, BiochemPSU, Faraway1, AtlantaLion, ncwref, PSU IE 97, BW Lion, yours truly, MontereyLion, and Obliviax are tied for 3rd, with 63 points. Offside Clyde, SW Fla Lion, mttopchuck, psu621, trz103, CanioPSU, Fac, For The Glory, Major Hoople, and Coach Lun are tied for 4th, with 62 points. lionville, CoolBean, jtlion, BrianS, Woodpecker, LeatherHelmets, PSUHarry33, mike, Bob78, and The Foxtrot Uniform Variant are tied for 5th, with 61 points. Congrats to all listed in this paragraph, and best of luck over the course of the season.

In the real competition, I bested twak, 27 points to 26 points.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Week 5

Another week with a lot of upsets. Jstaar was the best prognosticator, with a score of 22. Fac, MontereyLion, and PanioPSU tied for 2nd, with 21 points. jdbryan23, For The Glory, mttopchuck, Nittanyfarmer, SW Fla Lion, NorCal Lion, BW Lion, and paulrandythomas tied for 3rd, with 20 points. Congrats to the aforementioned, and major kudos to Jstaar.

In the season-long competition, as is expected in the beginning of the competition, there was a good bit of movement. Split_T, Nittany.Lion, and Ralphie_ are tied for 1st, with 90 points. BiochemPSU, ewb75, NitneLiun, ncwref, AustinLion, PhDpat, and AtlantaLion are tied for 2nd, with 89 points. Fac, mttopchuck, psu621, and RWCStateFan are tied for 3rd, with 88 points. SW Fla Lion, NorCal Lion, bluewhite22, PSU IE 97, PSU Paul, trz103, and Coach Fun are tied for 4th, with 87 points. MontereyLion, CanioPSU, For The Glory, BW Lion, NittanyLionFan, Obviviax, Cool Bean, yours truly, PSUHarry33, The Foxtrot Uniform Variant, mike, Faraway1, and Lionville are tied for 5th, with 86 points. Offside Clyde, jtlion, Major Hoople, Bob78, and WeAre782 are tied for 6th, with 85 points. jdbryan23, LeatherHelmets, PSURocket, Neil's Picks, Woodpecker, and BrianS are tied for 6th, with 84 points. Rotzc and cigarowl are tied for 7th, with 83 points. Nittanyfarmer, paulrandythomas, byte, swfmike, and michlion are tied for 8th, with 82 points. Psujosh21 has sole possession of 9th place, with 81 points. And Nittanylion83 has sole possession of 10th place, with 80 points.

In the real competition, I bested twak, 19 points to 17 points. I'm crushing him in the season-long competition, though in his defense, he did miss the first two weeks of the competition.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Week 6

Lionville, PSU Paul, and Offside Clyde each posted the top score of 23 points. Due to the tiebreakers, Lionville took the weekly honors. twak, Bob78, and ewb75 tied for 2nd, with 22 points. Congrats to the aforementioned, and major kudos to Lionville.

In the season-long competition, as is expected in the beginning of the competition, there was a good bit of movement. ewb75 (up from 2nd), mttopchuck (up from 3rd), Nittany.Lion (no change), and AtlantaLion (up from 2nd) are tied for 1st, with 111 points. PSU Paul (up from 4th), ncwref (no change), NitneLiun (no change), Split_T (down from 1st), and BiochemPSU (no change) are tied for 2nd, with 110 points. Lionville (up from 5th), RWCStateFan (no change), Fac (no change), and trz103 (up from 4th) are tied for 3rd, with 109 points. NorCal Lion (no change), CanioPSU (up from 5th), psu621 (down from 3rd), PSU IE 97 (no change), AustinLion (down from 2nd), PhDpat (down from 2nd), PSUHarry33 (up from 5th), SW Fla Lion (no change), and jdbryan23 (up from 6th) are tied for 4th, with 108 points. Bob78 (up from 6th), yours truly (no change), BW Lion (no change), Faraway1 (no change), For The Glory (no change), MontereyLion (no change), bluewhite22 (down from 4th), wmike (not in the top 10), and Ralphie_ (down from 1st) are tied for 5th, with 107 points. Obliviax (down from 5th), The Foxtrot Uniform Variant (down from 5th), Coach Lun (not in the top 10), and Cool Bean (down from 5th) are tied for 6th, with 106 points. PSURocket (down from 6th), Neil's Picks (down from 6th), BrianS (down from 6th), LeatherHelmets (down from 6th), Major Hoople (down from 6th), NittanyLionFan (down from 5th), jtlion (down from 6th), Woodpecker (down from 6th), and WeAre782 (down from 6th) are tied for 7th, with 105 points. Rotzc (down from 7th) has sole possession of 8th place, with 104 points. Cigarowl (down from 7th), and swfmike (down from 8th) are tied for 9th place, with 103 points. Nittanyfarmer (down from 8th) has sole possession of 10th place.

In the real competition, twak bested me, 22 points to 21 points. I still have a considerable lead over him in the season-long competition.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Week 7

Obliviax topped the field, with 22 points. That's the second time this season he's won the weekly honors. Nittanyfarmer, RockyMtnLion, MontereyLion, NitneLiun, and Nittany.Lion tied for 2nd, with 21 points. Congrats to the aforementioned, and major kudos to Oblivion.

We're half-way through the season-long competition, and with all the upsets in Week 7, there was a lot of movement in the standings. Nittany.Lion (no change) and PSU Paul (up from 2nd) are tied for 1st, with 132 points. NitneLiun (no change), mttopchuck (down from 1st), and ewb75 (down from 1st) are tied for 2nd, with 131 points. ncwref (down from 2nd) has sole possession of 3rd place, with 130 points. CanioPSU (no change), BiochemPSU (down from 2nd), and Split_T (down from 2nd) are tied for 4th, with 129 points. Obliviax (up from 6th), MontereyLion (no change), PhDpat (down from 4th), Bob78 (no change), Fac (down from 3rd), RWCStateFan (down from 3rd), SW Fla Lion (down from 4th), yours truly (no change), Lionville (down from 3rd), Offside Clyde (not in top 10), NorCal Lion (down from 4th), and jdbryan23 (down from 4th) are tied for 5th, with 128 points. For The Glory (down from 5th), psu621 (down from 4th), BW Lion (down from 5th) and PSU IE 97 (down from 4th) are tied for 6th, with 127 points. Ralphie_ (down from 5th), wmike (down from 5th), bluewhite22 (down from 5th), AustinLion (down from 4th), PSURocket (no change), Faraway1 (down from 5th), PSUHarry33 (down from 4th), and trz103 (down from 3rd) are tied for 7th, with 126 points. LeatherHelmets (down from 7th), BrianS (down from 7th), Cool Bean (down from 6th), and The Foxtrot Uniform Variant (down from 6th) are tied for 8th, with 125 points. Nittanyfarmer (up from 10th), Rotzc (down from 8th), jtlion (down from 7th), Major Hoople (down from 7th), Coach Lun (down from 6th), and NittanyLionFan (down from 7th) are tied for 9th, with 124 points. Neil's Picks (down from 7th), swfmike (down from 9th) and paulrandythomas (not in the top 10) are tied for 10th, with 123 points.

In the real competition, I bested twak, 18 points to 17 points. I maintained my substantial lead over him in the season-long competition.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Week 8

NorCal Lion, Nittany.Lion, and rotzc tied for the top score of 21 points. Due to the tiebreakers, NorCal Lion took the weekly honors. Split_T, Bob78, Ralphie_, MontereyLion, PSU Paul, PSU IE 97, Cigarowl, Nittanyfarmer, RockyMtnLion, and BiochemPSU tied for 2nd with 20 points. Congrats to the aforementioned, and major kudos to NorCal Lion.

Once again, a lot of movement in the season-long standings. Nittany.Lion (no change) took sole possession of 1st place, with 153 points. PSU Paul (down from 1st) took sole possession of 2nd place, with 152 points. NitneLiun (down from 2nd) took sole possession of 3rd place, with 151 points. ewb75 (down from 2nd) and mttopchuck (down from 2nd) are tied for 4th, with 150 points. NorCal Lion (no change), Split_T (down from 4th), MontereyLion (no change), BiochemPSU (down from 4th), ncwref (down from 3rd), and CanioPSU (down from 4th) are tied for 5th, with 149 points. Bob78 (down from 5th) and Obliviax (down from 5th) are tied for 6th, with 148 points. PSU IE 97 (down from 6th), BW Lion (down from 6th), your truly (down from 5th), Lionville (down from 5th), Offside Clyde (down from 5th), PhDpat (down from 5th), Fac (down from 5th), RWCStateFan (down from 5th), and For The Glory (down from 6th) are tied for 7th, with 147 points. Ralphie_ (down from 7th), psu621 (down from 6th), and SW Fla Lion (down from 5th) are tied for 8th, with 146 points. Rotzc (no change), bluewhite22 (down from 7th), PSURocket (down from 7th), LeatherHelmets (down from 8th), wmike (down from 7th), and jdbryan23 (down from 5th) are tied 9th, with 145 points. Nittanyfarmer (down from 9th), The Foxtrot Uniform Variant (down from 8th), AustinLion (down from 7th), BrianS (down from 8th), and PSUHarry33 (down from 7th) are tied for 10th, with 144 points.

In the real competition, I bested twak, 19 points to 18 points. I continue to have a large lead over him in the season-long competition.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Week 9

Yours truly, rotzc, and Woodpecker tied for the top with 22 points. Due to the tiebreakers, yours truly took the weekly honors. michlion, SW Fla Lion, BW Lion, NittanyLionFan, and PSU Paul tied for 2nd with 21 points. Congrats to all of the aforementioned.

In the season-long standings, as has been the norm this season, there was a lot of movement. PSU Paul (up from 2nd) took sole possession of 1st place, with 173 points. Nittany.Lion (down from 1st) took sole possession of 2nd place, with 172 points. NitneLiun (no change) remained in 3rd place, with 171 points. MontereyLion (up from 5th) took sole possession of 4th place, with 170 points. Yours truly (up from 7th), BiochemPSU (no change), and NorCal Lion (no change) are tied for 5th place, with 169 points. BW Lion (up from 7th), Obliviax (no change), ncwref (down from 5th), CanioPSU (down from 5th), ewb75 (down from 4th), and mttopchuck (down from 4th) are tied for 6th place, with 168 points. rotzc (up from 9th), SW Fla Lion (up from 8th), Lionville (no change), Fac (no change), For The Glory (no change), Bob78 (down from 6th), and Split_T (down from 5th) are tied for 7th place, with 167 points. Offside Clyde (down from 7th) and PSU IE 97 (down from 7th) are tied for 8th place, with 166 points. RWCStateFan (down from 7th), PhDpat (down from 7th), and psu621 (down from 8th) are tied for 9th place, with 165 points. Nittanyfarmer (no change), Ralphie_ (down from 8th), LeatherHelmets (down from 9th), and bluewhite22 (down from 9th) are tied for 10th place, with 164 points.

In the real competition, I bested twak, 22 points to 16 points. I continue to have a big lead over him in the season-long competition.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Week 10

The gods must have decided to have some fun with the first Pick'Em after BWI moved to On3. Twak and yours truly tied for 1st place, with 27 points. Due to the tiebreakers, twak took the weekly honors. What are the odds of something like that happening? In all the years of competition, I don't think twak and I ever tied for 1st place in the weekly competition. BW Lion, Major Hoople, PSU Paul, LeatherHelmets, NitneLiun, NorCal Lion, and Split_T tied for 2nd place, with 26 points. Congrats to the aforementioned, and major kudos to my long-time nemesis, @twak

In the season-long competition, once again there was a good deal of movement. PSU Paul (no change) remained in sole possession of 1st place, with 199 points. NitneLiun (up from 2nd) took sole possession of 2nd place, with 197 points. Yours truly (up from 5th) and Nittany.Lion (down from 2nd) are tied for 3rd place, with 196 points. NorCal Lion (up from 5th) and MontereyLion (no change) are tied for 4th place, with 195 points. BW Lion (up from 6th) took sole possession of 5th place, with 194 points. Split_T (up from 7th) took sole possession of 6th place, with 193 points. Lionville (no change), ncwref (down from 6th), CanioPSU (down from 6th), Obliviax (down from 6th), and BiochemPSU (down from 5th) are tied for 7th place, with 192 points. For The Glory (down from 7th), Bob78 (down from 7th), Rotzc (down from 7th), and SW Fla Lion (down from 7th) are tied for 8th place, with 191 points. LeatherHelmets (up from 10th) takes sole possession of 9th place, with 190 points. psu621 (down from 9th), RWCStateFan (down from 9th), and Fac (down from 7th) are tied for 10th place, with 189 points.

In the real competition, as noted above, twak and I tied in the weekly competition with 27 points, but the twakker bested me due to the tiebreakers. In the season-long competition, I remain well ahead of twak, 196 points to 168 points.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Week 11

Cool Been bested the field with an impressive score of 25 points. BW Lion, Ralphie_, Bob78, AustinLion, Rotzc, Faraway1, and NorCal Lion tied for 2nd wit 23 points. Congrats to the aforementioned, and major kudos to Cool Bean.

In the season-long competition, PSU Paul (no change) remained in sole possession of 1st place, with 220 points. (He's been in either 2nd or 1st place since Week 6; pretty impressive.) NorCar Lion (up from 4th), Nittany.Lion (up from 3rd), and NitneLiun (no change) are tied for 2nd place, with 218 points. BW Lion (up from 5th), MontereyLion (up from 4th), and yours truly (no change) are tied for 3rd place, with 217 points. Bob78 (up from 8th), Rotzc (up from 8th) and CanioPSU (up from 7th) are tied for 4th place, with 214 points. SW Fla Lion (up from 8th), Lionville (up from 7th), ncwref (up from 7th), and Split_T (up from 6th) are tied for 5th place, with 213 points. For The Glory (up from 8th), BiochemPSU (up from 7th), and Obliviax (up from 7th) are tied for 6th place, with 212 points. Ralphie_ (not in the top 10) took sole possession of 7th place, with 211 points. Cool Bean (not in the top 10), Offside Clyde (not in the top 10), Fac (up from 10th), and RWCStateFan (up from 10th) are tied for 8th place, with 210 points. Major Hoople (not in the top 10) and psu621 (up from 10th) are tied for 9th place, with 209 points. PhDpat (not in the top 10) and BrianS (not in the top 10) are tied for 10th, with 208 points.

In the real competition, I bested twak, 21 points to 19 points. I continue to have a substantial lead over him in the season-long competition.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Week 12

Major Hoople, Fac, Faraway1, CanioPSU, and Obliviax tied for the top score, with 30 points. Due to the tiebreakers, Major Hoople took the weekly prize. PhillyBillyReprise, Nittany.Lion, Cigar Owl and Rotzc tied for 2nd, with 29 points. Congratulations to the aforementioned, and major kudos to Major Hoople.

In the season-long competition, once again there was a lot of movement in the standings. PSU Paul (no change) remained in sole possession of 1st place, with 248 points, but his lead was reduced to 1 point. Nittany.Lion (no change) took sole possession of 2nd place, with 247 points. BWI Lion (no change) and NitneLiun (down from 2nd) are tied for 3rd place, with 245 points. CanioPSU (no change), yours truly (down from 3rd), and NorCal Lion (down from 2nd) are tied for 4th place, with 244 points. Rotzc (down from 4th) took sole possession of 5th place, with 243 points. Obliviax (no change) and MontereyLion (down from 3rd) are tied for 6th place, with 242 points. ncwref (down from 5th) and Split_T (down from 5th) are tied for 7th place, with 241 points. Fac (no change), BiochemPSU (down from 6th), Lionville (down from 5th), and SW Fla Lion (down from 5th) are tied for 8th place, with 240 points. Major Hoople (no change) and Ralphie_ (down from 7th) are tied for 9th place, with 239 points. For The Glory (down from 6th) and Bob78 (down from 4th) are tied for 10th place, with 238 points. Week 13 is, I believe, the last big slate of the competition (35 games), so it will be interesting where things stand next week.

Nittany.Lion

Oct 6, 2021
Week 12

Major Hoople, Fac, Faraway1, CanioPSU, and Obliviax tied for the top score, with 30 points. Due to the tiebreakers, Major Hoople took the weekly prize. PhillyBillyReprise, Nittany.Lion, Cigar Owl and Rotzc tied for 2nd, with 29 points. Congratulations to the aforementioned, and major kudos to Major Hoople.

In the season-long competition, once again there was a lot of movement in the standings. PSU Paul (no change) remained in sole possession of 1st place, with 248 points, but his lead was reduced to 1 point. Nittany.Lion (no change) took sole possession of 2nd place, with 247 points. BWI Lion (no change) and NitneLiun (down from 2nd) are tied for 3rd place, with 245 points. CanioPSU (no change), yours truly (down from 3rd), and NorCal Lion (down from 2nd) are tied for 4th place, with 244 points. Rotzc (down from 4th) took sole possession of 5th place, with 243 points. Obliviax (no change) and MontereyLion (down from 3rd) are tied for 6th place, with 242 points. ncwref (down from 5th) and Split_T (down from 5th) are tied for 7th place, with 241 points. Fac (no change), BiochemPSU (down from 6th), Lionville (down from 5th), and SW Fla Lion (down from 5th) are tied for 8th place, with 240 points. Major Hoople (no change) and Ralphie_ (down from 7th) are tied for 9th place, with 239 points. For The Glory (down from 6th) and Bob78 (down from 4th) are tied for 10th place, with 238 points. Week 13 is, I believe, the last big slate of the competition (35 games), so it will be interesting where things stand next week.

Yup, week 14 is conference championship week, it will be dropped as everyone's low week for the season and everyone's next best dropped week will be counted. The winner will be decided next Saturday, the pressure is on those in contention not to have a bad week.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

Fac

Oct 12, 2021
Any consideration to doing away with dropped weeks in the future?

Asking for a friend.

Last edited:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Any consideration to doing away with dropped weeks in the future?

I tend to doubt it. The rationale for dropping two weeks is that if anyone in the competition is traveling, has an unexpected business trip, gets sick, forgets to enter picks due to traveling to a PSU game, etc., they won't be penalized. If we didn't drop a week or two, then anyone that encountered any of the aforementioned situations (or similar) would be out of the running for the season-long competition.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Week 13

For The Glory, Major Hoople, Obliviax, NittanyLionFan, and PhillyBillyReprise tied for the top score, with 27 points. Due to the tiebreakers, For The Glory took the weekly honors. Lionville, wmike, NitneLiun, Nittany.Lion, Fac, Rotzc, SW Fla Lion, Ralphie_, CoolBean, CanioPSU, ncwref, and Nittanyfarmer tied for 2nd place, with 26 points. Congratulations to the aforementioned, and major kudos to For The Glory.

The combination of a big slate of games, and a number of upsets, caused a lot of movement in the season-long standings. Nittany.Lion (up from 2nd) moved into a tie with PSU Paul (no change) for 1st place, with 273 points. NitneLiun (up from 3rd) took sole possession of 2nd place, with 271 points. CanioPSU (up from 4th) and BW Lion (no change) are tied for 3rd place, with 270 points. Obliviax (up from 6th), and Rotzc (up from 5th) are tied for 4th place, with 269 points. NorCal Lion (down from 4th) and yours truly (down from 4th) are tied for 5th place, with 268 points. ncwref (up from 7th) and MontereyLion (no change) are tied for 6th, with 267 points. Major Hoople (up from 9th), Lionville (up from 8th), Fac (up from 8th),and SW Fla Lion (up from 8th) are tied for 7th place, with 266 points. For The Glory (up from 10th) and Ralphie_ (up from 9th) are tied for 8th place, with 265 points. CoolBean (not in the top 10), and BiochemPSU (down from 8th) are tied for 9th place, with 263 points. Bob78 (no change) and Split_T (down from 7th) are tied for 10th place, with 262 points. Offside Clyde (not in the top 10) has sole possession of 11th place, with 261 points. BrianS (not in the top 10), psu621 (not in the top 10), and Faraway1 (not in the top 10) are tied for 12th place, with 260 points. wmike (not in the top 10) and PSU IE 97 (not in the top 10) are tied for 13th place, with 259 points. NittanyLionFan (not in the top 10), Neil's Picks (not in the top 10), and Cigarowl (not in the top 10) are tied for 14th place, with 258 points. bytir (not in the top 10) has sole possession of 15th place, with 251 points.

In the real competition, twak bested me, 25 points to 24 points. In the season-long competition, I lead him 268 points to 238 points.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
And down the stretch they come ... It appears that Nittany.Lion's late surge is going to enable him to win the season-long standings. PSU Paul has been in sole possession of 1st place since Week 9, but Nittany.Lion moved into a tie with him after Week 13. Because the Week 14 slate is only 11 games, even if you ace your picks in Week 14, it will almost automatically become a dropped week for you (unless you missed several weeks). Nittany.Lion's top dropped score is a 19, while PSU Paul's top dropped score is 18, so I expect that Nittany.Lion will be in 1st place at the end of the Week 14, and thus will take the season-long honors. Interestingly, many of those near the top of the standings also have a top dropped score of 19 (excluding PSU Paul and CanioPSU), so they're likely to mostly stay the same in the rankings. MontereyLion has a top dropped score of 20, so he's likely to move up a rung in the rankings.

Reactions: Nittany.Lion

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
I tend to doubt it. The rationale for dropping two weeks is that if anyone in the competition is traveling, has an unexpected business trip, gets sick, forgets to enter picks due to traveling to a PSU game, etc., they won't be penalized. If we didn't drop a week or two, then anyone that encountered any of the aforementioned situations (or similar) would be out of the running for the season-long competition.
How about dropping just one week?

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Week 14 & Final Results

In the final week of competition, For The Glory topped the competition with 9 points. ncwref, CaniopSU, Faraway1, and SW Fla Lion tied for 2nd place, with 8 points. Congratulations to the aforementioned, and major kudos to For The Glory.

The final week also brings a conclusion to the season-long competition. Nittany.Lion (no change) took the 2021 BWI Pick'Em championship title, with 292 points. PSU Paul (down from 1st) was in sole possession of 2nd place, with 291 points. NitneLiun (down from 2nd) took sole possession of 3rd place, with 290 points. BW Lion (down from 3rd) took sole possession of 4th place, with 289 points. CanioPSU (down from 3rd), Rotzc (down from 4th), and Obliviax (down from 4th) tied for 5th place, with 288 points. NorCal Lion (down from 5th), MontereyLion (no change) and yours truly (down from 5th) tied for 6th place, with 287 points. ncwref (down from 6th) took sole possession of 7th place, with 286 points. Fac (down from 7th) took sole possession of 8th place, with 285 points. SW Fla Lion (down from 7th), Lionville (down from 7th),and Major Hoople (down from 7th) tied for 9th place, with 284 points. For The Glory (down from 8th) took sole possession of 10th place, with 283 points. BiochemPSU (down from 9th) and Ralphie_ (down from 8th) tied for 11th place, with 282 points. CoolBean (down from 9th) took sole possession of 12th place. Split_T (down from 10th), Bob78 (down from 10th), and Offside Clyde (down from 11th) tied for 13th place, with 280 points. psu621 (down from 12th) took sole possession of 14th place, with 279 points. Faraway1 (down from 12th) and BrianS (down from 12th) tied for 15th place, with 277 points. Neil's Picks (down from 14th), NittanyLionFan (down from 14th), Cigarowl (down from 14th), and wmike (down from 13th) tied for 16th place, with 276 points. PSU IE 97 (down from 13th) took sole possession of 17th place, with 275 points. bytir (down from 15th) took sole possession of 18th place, with 267 points. AustinLion (not in the top 15) took sole possession of 19th place, with 266 points. Woodpecker (not in the top 15) and PhillyBillyReprise (not in the top 15) tied for 20th place, with 265 points. Nittanyfarmer (not in the top 15) and RWCStateFan (not in the top 15) tied for 21st place, with 264 points. The Foxtrot Uniform Variant (not in the top 15) took sole possession of 22nd place, with 263 points. Nittanylion83 (not in the top 15) took sole possession of 23rd place, with 262 points. twak (not in the top 15) took sole possession of 24th place, with 245 points. And PhDpat (not in the top 15) took sole possession of 25th place, with 243 points.

Congrats to Nittany.Lion for the late surge to take the season-long honors. You have board bragging rights for a year. My sympathies to PSU Paul, who was atop the standings for most of the season, but finished up 1 point behind Nittany.Lion.

In the real competition, twak bested me in the weekly competition, 7 points to 5 points. I topped twak in the season-long competition, 287 points to 245 points. (twak missed the first 2 weeks of the competition, which limited his opportunities to score points.)

My thanks to all that participated, especially those that navigated the transfer to the new site for the board during the season. I'm still checking on Bowl Pick'Em options, and will post about that when I make a decision either way. And if there is no Bowl Pick'Em, we'll certainly have a BWI March Madness competition.

PSU Paul

Oct 12, 2021
Week 14 & Final Results

In the final week of competition, For The Glory topped the competition with 9 points. ncwref, CaniopSU, Faraway1, and SW Fla Lion tied for 2nd place, with 8 points. Congratulations to the aforementioned, and major kudos to For The Glory.

The final week also brings a conclusion to the season-long competition. Nittany.Lion (no change) took the 2021 BWI Pick'Em championship title, with 292 points. PSU Paul (down from 1st) was in sole possession of 2nd place, with 291 points. NitneLiun (down from 2nd) took sole possession of 3rd place, with 290 points. BW Lion (down from 3rd) took sole possession of 4th place, with 289 points. CanioPSU (down from 3rd), Rotzc (down from 4th), and Obliviax (down from 4th) tied for 5th place, with 288 points. NorCal Lion (down from 5th), MontereyLion (no change) and yours truly (down from 5th) tied for 6th place, with 287 points. ncwref (down from 6th) took sole possession of 7th place, with 286 points. Fac (down from 7th) took sole possession of 8th place, with 285 points. SW Fla Lion (down from 7th), Lionville (down from 7th),and Major Hoople (down from 7th) tied for 9th place, with 284 points. For The Glory (down from 8th) took sole possession of 10th place, with 283 points. BiochemPSU (down from 9th) and Ralphie_ (down from 8th) tied for 11th place, with 282 points. CoolBean (down from 9th) took sole possession of 12th place. Split_T (down from 10th), Bob78 (down from 10th), and Offside Clyde (down from 11th) tied for 13th place, with 280 points. psu621 (down from 12th) took sole possession of 14th place, with 279 points. Faraway1 (down from 12th) and BrianS (down from 12th) tied for 15th place, with 277 points. Neil's Picks (down from 14th), NittanyLionFan (down from 14th), Cigarowl (down from 14th), and wmike (down from 13th) tied for 16th place, with 276 points. PSU IE 97 (down from 13th) took sole possession of 17th place, with 275 points. bytir (down from 15th) took sole possession of 18th place, with 267 points. AustinLion (not in the top 15) took sole possession of 19th place, with 266 points. Woodpecker (not in the top 15) and PhillyBillyReprise (not in the top 15) tied for 20th place, with 265 points. Nittanyfarmer (not in the top 15) and RWCStateFan (not in the top 15) tied for 21st place, with 264 points. The Foxtrot Uniform Variant (not in the top 15) took sole possession of 22nd place, with 263 points. Nittanylion83 (not in the top 15) took sole possession of 23rd place, with 262 points. twak (not in the top 15) took sole possession of 24th place, with 245 points. And PhDpat (not in the top 15) took sole possession of 25th place, with 243 points.

Congrats to Nittany.Lion for the late surge to take the season-long honors. You have board bragging rights for a year. My sympathies to PSU Paul, who was atop the standings for most of the season, but finished up 1 points behind Nittany.Lion.

In the real competition, twak bested me in the weekly competition, 7 points to 5 points. I topped twak in the season-long competition, 287 points to 245 points. (twak missed the first 2 weeks of the competition, which limited his opportunities to score points.)

My thanks to all that participated, especially those that navigated the transfer to the new site for the board during the season. I'm still checking on Bowl Pick'Em options, and will post about that when I make a decision either way. And if there is no Bowl Pick'Em, we'll certainly have a BWI March Madness competition.
☹️

SW Fla Lion

Oct 20, 2021
Thanks again to Tom for the hard work involved in setting this up plus the reporting each week. Makes the season special to get to know some other teams and how they are doing.

Reactions: PSU621 and PSU Paul
Status
Not open for further replies.