2022 B1G Tournament, Session 3 Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Please use this thread for all pre-Session 3, in-Session 3, and post-Session 3 discussions.

When: March 6, 12:00 pm (noon) EST.

Where: Pinnacle Bank Arena; Lincoln, NE

TV: None

Streaming: for subscribers, BTN+.

Radio: The radio PBP with Jeff Byers will be streamed for free via LionVision. The pre-Session will start at 11:40 am EST, with the competition at 12:00 pm . You can access the radio PBP at:

Live Brackets: You can follow the brackets on TrackWrestling at:

https://www.trackwrestling.com/pred...ents/TournamentHub.jsp&twSessionId=lkcwystilx

Note: The Penn State Wrestling Club also has live brackets at: https://www.pennstatewrestlingclub.org

Team Scoring: The Penn State Wrestling Club is usually the fastest with that info. Their team scoring information can be found at: https://www.pennstatewrestlingclub.org/content/tournament_team_score.php?id=26&type=team

PBP: I have to ref in the morning, so I may miss the start of Session 3. When I get home, I'll provide PBP. @GregPickel will fill in for me until I'm home. I hope many of you will also jump in and provide updates on mat assignments for upcoming PSU bouts (usually available from the TrackWrestling link listed above, or the Penn State Wrestling twitter account), scores, and PBP. Collectively, we've made this work for everyone in the past, and I'm sure we'll do the same this year.

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
Yikes - so is Michigan the favorite to win out now, or if our top seeds prevail do we still take home the trophy?

4inSBU

Nov 1, 2021
I was tracking scoring with one of the interactive brackets and I keep coming up with us having 112 points. Triple checked and can't find where I'm wrong. Probably an error in the spreadsheet I'm guessing.

4inSBU

Nov 1, 2021
Berge & Beau are must win outs. It could come down to the Kerk/Mason match for the team title

Reactions: Got GSPs

LookSharp

Oct 25, 2021
Yep. I like our chances.
I do not. Not with a margin of 183 to 161.5 on points available, and our two head-to-head matchups with Meat being 1 vs 2. Not to mention we've got pressure coming from behind with Iowa sitting at 173, and our two head-to-head matchups with them also being 1 vs. 2.

There are a thousand permutations for sure, but from the 30,000-foot level we must win out in the finals and consolation bracket, and Lewan and Amin must lose. If not, then Jordan Burroughs characterization of Meat's line-up rings true. They took the 'LA Rams' approach. They put together a great tournament team using free agency. I hope I'm proven wrong.

JMHO. Go State!

Reactions: Garw
Oct 31, 2021
Thanks Greg and Tom for all the hardwork and coverage . Much appreciated by all. Lotta ups and downs yesterday.
Before wrestling starts today , I think a lil perspective needed. Yes some uncharacteristic non Penn State moments yesterday but these things happen. Cael would say u get what u deserve, learn , do better and let s win!

This is when Cael and the team need us the most! Bo, Zain, Jason, Mark , Cenzo etc. are not here to clinch the team title before the semis! This team is a great team w really talented wrestlers. We need to double down and support them even more.
I m as disappointed as anyone by some of the results . But……
1)Drew seemed off? I for one have full confidence he ll hav the last word.
2)Kerk yes it was a shocking sequence of events. He feels as bad as anyone, trust me. At that high level of sport , things happen quick all it takes is a split second to make a mistake. Adrenaline is flowing. Yes in retrospect it looks like a jr HS mistake but this is sport and **** happens. Key will be that he bounces back. Yes I know the seeding ramifications etc but let that all play out. Kerk we have your back! Head up and go get em. If anyone disagrees then get off the train. This board has been respectful . Let s keep it that way. These are young men giving it the best they have. People first w families . Athletes second.
3) Beau yes please go for it! Offense and let it fly! Now s the time: NCAAs! Frustrating yes to watch but it s not as simple as it appears. But still Beau ! Let s Go!
4) RBY , Nick , CStar, AB, Mad Max! Stars! Wow all NC contenders ! Good luck to all today!!!!!
5) Creighton what effort and keep fighting! Pray he gets an at large! Kid deserves it.
6) To win we ll need Kerk ! Drew! and some from Beau. So let s rally behind them!

Excited! 5 finals today! Kerk , Beau and Drew in action!
I have faith like so many others here in Cael and this team! If you don t , I respect your opinion but get off the train . Sports is about what lies ahead not the past ! Yes remember what it felt like late last nite but fight to make sure it doesn’t happen again!!
Don t mean to be on a soap box and these are general comments not directed at anyone but I’ve seen comments not here but other places that get very close to criticizing a young athlete s character . No place for that. Critique the wrestling and strategy - fair game.
Every team having issues : Iowa injuries, Mich - I don t think scores as well at a National tourney, they ll come bk to earth! How about starting today!

Chins up boys! Big day today ! Then the NCAAs! Let s rally the troops and support the team like we always do!
Let s Go!!!!
We are………..
CBev

Oct 31, 2021
Thanks Greg and Tom for all the hardwork and coverage . Much appreciated by all. Lotta ups and downs yesterday.
Before wrestling starts today , I think a lil perspective needed. Yes some uncharacteristic non Penn State moments yesterday but these things happen. Cael would say u get what u deserve, learn , do better and let s win!

This is when Cael and the team need us the most! Bo, Zain, Jason, Mark , Cenzo etc. are not here to clinch the team title before the semis! This team is a great team w really talented wrestlers. We need to double down and support them even more.
2)Kerk yes it was a shocking sequence of events. He feels as bad as anyone, trust me. At that high level of sport , things happen quick all it takes is a split second to make a mistake. Adrenaline is flowing. Yes in retrospect it looks like a jr HS mistake but this is sport and **** happens. Key will be that he bounces back. Yes I know the seeding ramifications etc but let that all play out. Kerk we have your back! Head up and go get em. If anyone disagrees then get off the train. This board has been respectful . Let s keep it that way. These are young men giving it the best they have. People first w families . Athletes second.
3) Beau yes please go for it! Offense and let it fly! Now s the time: NCAAs! Frustrating yes to watch but it s not as simple as it appears. But still Beau ! Let s Go!
4) RBY , Nick , CStar, AB, Mad Max! Stars! Wow all NC contenders ! Good luck to all today!!!!!
5) Creighton what effort and keep fighting! Pray he gets an at large! Kid deserves it.
6) To win we ll need Kerk ! Drew! and some from Beau. So let s rally behind them!

I have faith like so many others here in Cael and this team! If you don t , I respect your opinion but get off the train . Sports is about what lies ahead not the past ! Yes remember what it felt like late last nite but fight to make sure it doesn’t happen again!!
Don t mean to be on a soap box and these are general comments not directed at anyone but I’ve seen comments not here but other places that get very close to criticizing a young athlete s character . No place for that. Critique the wrestling and strategy - fair game.
Every team having issues : Iowa injuries, Mich - I don t think scores as well at a National tourney, they ll come bk to earth! How about starting today!

Chins up boys! Big day today ! Then the NCAAs! Let s rally the troops and support the team like we always do!
Let s Go!!!!
We are………..
CBev
Forgot to mention Brady! Beat Young! Looked good at 157! We ll c his seed and go for it. Beside Deakin and Carr bring anyone on! Go Brady! U deserve this as much as anyone! Finish strong today and then…….
Let s AA and fulfill your dream!

Oct 31, 2021
Forgot to mention Brady! Beat Young! Looked good at 157! We ll c his seed and go for it. Beside Deakin and Carr bring anyone on! Go Brady! U deserve this as much as anyone! Finish strong today and then…….
Let s AA and fulfill your dream!
Actually , bring on Deakin and Carr too. Let s Go Brady!!!!!

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021

Let s Go!!!!
We are………..
CBev
Drew can't score points. Only qualify for NCAA's

NewYorkNittany

Nov 7, 2021
Spent some time this morning looking to see if Edsall has much of a shot at an At-Large or not. Here is what I got and what would help him today.

Took the coaches rankings from a couple weeks ago to determine the allocations.

These guys are ranked ahead of Edsall and have secured an allocation spot:

2. O'Toole (Missouri/Big 12)
4. Kharchla (Ohio State/Big 12)
5. Marinelli (Iowa/Big Ten)
6. Hamiti (Wisconsin/Big Ten)
7. Hall (West Virginia/Big 12)
9. Ramirez (Cornell/EIWA)
11. Conigliaro (Harvard/EIWA)
12. Hartman (Bucknell/EIWA)
14. Olejnik (NIU/MAC)
16. Amine (Michigan/Big Ten)
18. Ogunsanya (Columbia/EIWA)

So what would further help him?

Pac 12 has 3 allocation spots so we want these guys to finish 1-2-3 in any order:

1. Wick (Cal Poly/Pac 12)
3. Griffith (Stanford/Pac 12)
8. Valencia (ASU/Pac 12)

ACC has 3 allocation spots so we want these guys to finish 1-2-3 in any order:

15. Wentzel (Pitt/ACC)
20. Bullard (NC State/ACC)
21. McCoy (Virginia/ACC)

Big 12 has 4 allocation spots of which 2 have been secured. We want these two to win their first Conso match today and then they would be wrestling each other for 3rd and both would lock up the last 2 allocation spots:

13. Yant (UNI/Big 12)
17. Weber (North Dakota St./Big 12)

EIWA has 7 allocation spots of which 4 have been secured. These two wrestle each other in the first match today. The winner clinches an allocation spot. The loser needs to win the 7th place match to secure the last allocation spot.

23. Revano (Penn/EIWA)
25. Barczak (Drexel/EIWA)

Big Ten has 7 allocation spots of which 6 have been secured. These two wrestle each other today for 7th place and the last allocation spot:

28. Carlson (Minnesota/Big Ten)
31. Fish (Michigan State/Big Ten)

That leaves the competition for the 4 Wild Card spots. If Edsell wrestles well in the mini-bracket today he could land the last wild card I think.

10. Wittlake (Oklahoma St./Big 12)
18. Formato (App State/SoCon)
22. Meyer (Lehigh/EIWA)
24. Braunagel (Illinois/Big Ten)
26. Edsell (Penn State/Big Ten)
Loser of Carlson/Fish

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Spent some time this morning looking to see if Edsall has much of a shot at an At-Large or not. Here is what I got and what would help him today.

Took the coaches rankings from a couple weeks ago to determine the allocations.

These guys are ranked ahead of Edsall and have secured an allocation spot:

2. O'Toole (Missouri/Big 12)
4. Kharchla (Ohio State/Big 12)
5. Marinelli (Iowa/Big Ten)
6. Hamiti (Wisconsin/Big Ten)
7. Hall (West Virginia/Big 12)
9. Ramirez (Cornell/EIWA)
11. Conigliaro (Harvard/EIWA)
12. Hartman (Bucknell/EIWA)
14. Olejnik (NIU/MAC)
16. Amine (Michigan/Big Ten)
18. Ogunsanya (Columbia/EIWA)

So what would further help him?

Pac 12 has 3 allocation spots so we want these guys to finish 1-2-3 in any order:

1. Wick (Cal Poly/Pac 12)
3. Griffith (Stanford/Pac 12)
8. Valencia (ASU/Pac 12)

ACC has 3 allocation spots so we want these guys to finish 1-2-3 in any order:

15. Wentzel (Pitt/ACC)
20. Bullard (NC State/ACC)
21. McCoy (Virginia/ACC)

Big 12 has 4 allocation spots of which 2 have been secured. We want these two to win their first Conso match today and then they would be wrestling each other for 3rd and both would lock up the last 2 allocation spots:

13. Yant (UNI/Big 12)
17. Weber (North Dakota St./Big 12)

EIWA has 7 allocation spots of which 4 have been secured. These two wrestle each other in the first match today. The winner clinches an allocation spot. The loser needs to win the 7th place match to secure the last allocation spot.

23. Revano (Penn/EIWA)
25. Barczak (Drexel/EIWA)

Big Ten has 7 allocation spots of which 6 have been secured. These two wrestle each other today for 7th place and the last allocation spot:

28. Carlson (Minnesota/Big Ten)
31. Fish (Michigan State/Big Ten)

That leaves the competition for the 4 Wild Card spots. If Edsell wrestles well in the mini-bracket today he could land the last wild card I think.

10. Wittlake (Oklahoma St./Big 12)
18. Formato (App State/SoCon)
22. Meyer (Lehigh/EIWA)
24. Braunagel (Illinois/Big Ten)
26. Edsell (Penn State/Big Ten)
Loser of Carlson/Fish
Tremendous insight!! Thank you.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Did anyone catch what time Byers is coming on the air today? I thought he said 11:45 but didn’t write it down.

watoos

Oct 31, 2021
Drew on mat #1 to start things off.
The way I see it, a win guarantees him 10th and a ticket to nationals. I like his chances v the #12 seed. The highest seed left in this mini-bracket is #10.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
125 pound mini bracket: Drew Hildebrandt vs Jacob Moran

First period
Action is underway. Moran is the 12 seed. Hildebrandt is No. 2, of course. Hildebrandt shoots on a single and after some work scores a takedown about 1:07 into the bout. He leads 2-0. He’s working on a top now, and is racking up riding time in the meantime. He’s over 1:15 when a stalemate is called. He rides out the periods. It’s 2-0 Hildebrandt with 1:53 in riding time.

Second period
Hildebrandt takes down to start second. He is out in no time for 3-0 lead. Moran shoots in on a single but Hildebrandt fends it off as they go off the edge. The period ends with Hildebrandt leading 3-0.

Third period
Moran picks neutral. So the riding time for Hildebrandt is in tact for now. Not a ton of scoring shots throughout the period so far.

Drew Hildebrandt wins 4-0 and is off to the NCAA Tournament.

watoos

Oct 31, 2021
I am not one to make excuses, but Drew seems off. I don't think he looks 100%. Nonetheless way to go Drew, I will be rooting for you in Detroit.

Reactions: hohmadw1978

NavyBlue

Nov 5, 2021
I am not one to make excuses, but Drew seems off. I don't think he looks 100%. Nonetheless way to go Drew, I will be rooting for you in Detroit.
Watoos -- I agree. Given the last 2 years, we ought to be used to people coming down with viruses. It wouldn't be shocking if Drew had some sort of bug, but there wasn't an option of sitting out the B10 tournament. Hopefully that's the case and he is 100% in 2 weeks.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
All the consolation mini tournaments are up first so it’s going to be an even longer wait than expected for Berge to kick things off for Penn State in those at 157.

AK1967

Dec 9, 2021
IF Drew gets better on his feet he will do well at Nationals. That’s the million dollar statement. I would be wrestling Gillman everyday in the room.

Reactions: hohmadw1978

kijana

Nov 1, 2021
According to HR, Eiermann will MFF the final. Would get PSU 2 extra bonus points.

Reactions: BrianS

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Big win for Young from Iowa in consis. @Tom McAndrew just let me if you’re fully back for PBP or just following for now.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
157 Consolation Semi
#10 seed Brady Berge vs. #4 seed Kendall Coleman (Purdue) (I'll use KC)

This is a tough match for Berge, as Coleman is a battler, with a lot of strength and quickness, and a 3X NCAA qualifier.

Per 1
Not a lot thru 1:30. Not a lot thru 2:00. collar ties, snap downs, etc. Berge in on a head outside single and gets the TD and has Coleman on his back, and he pins him!!!!!! @ 2:59!!!!

He'll be in the 3rd place bout against Kaleb Young (Iowa)

Great job, Brady